PDA

View Full Version : A Convertible question

Cold Trigger Finger
07-15-2017, 05:05 PM
With my new Bisley Blackhawk 45 Colt/ 45ACP convertible 5 1/2" . I'm hoping to find a load where a light plinking load in 45ACP impacts the same place @ say 25 or 50 yards or some distance , as the Mihec 45 Ruger gc boolit@ 1200 plus fps from the 45 Colt cylinder.
Does anyone have any experience with this .
In the ACP I can go from 185 ish gr up to 255 gr pushed by 6 gr of Unique. Or some other light load.

9.3X62AL
07-15-2017, 05:29 PM
A lot of variables to sort through to arrive at a meaningful answer. Load intensities, recoil dynamics, barrel time......in times past with my convertible 45s (both 7.5" barrels) I stuck with hardball duplicators in the ACP cylinder and 250 grain SWCs at 900 FPS (9.0-9.5 grains of Unique). Hits between the 2 loads at 25 yards were fairly close together. I suspect the disparate load intensities you mention might cause more separation between the loads downrange; the two I mention were kinda close cousins. Only way to tell is by firing YOUR loads with YOUR hands, and see what develops.

Cold Trigger Finger
07-15-2017, 05:39 PM
I still have to get all my casting stuff. Lead, pot , handles , lube ect. So, I can't just walk out the door and try them right now.
I have wondered if with the heavier recoiling but much faster heavy boolit load . It would exit the barrel at the same height as a slower but much lighter bullet or boolit ? I know I will have to do some experimenting, was just wondering if anyone already had ?

Outpost75
07-15-2017, 06:09 PM
A revolver in recoil is a pendulum in motion.

Heavier bullets producing greater recoil impulse and having longer barrel time, due to lower velocity, will be launched at a higher angle of departure than lighter bullets at higher velocity having shorter barrel time.

Matching bullet weight is more important than velocity.

Heavier bullets in revolvers as a general rule will shoot higher, lighter bullets will shoot lower.

In my .45 ACP/.45 Colt convertibles if I shoot the same weight bullet in each caliber, it doesn't matter within reason what the velocity is. I can shoot a 232-grain Saeco #954 with 4.5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 ACP and the same bullet with 7.2 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt and the two loads shoot close enough together for good field utility even though the .45 ACP load is only 830 fps and the .45 Colt load is 1000 fps.

Ed_Shot
07-15-2017, 06:30 PM
A revolver in recoil is a pendulum in motion.

Heavier bullets producing greater recoil impulse and having longer barrel time, due to lower velocity, will be launched at a higher angle of departure than lighter bullets at higher velocity having shorter barrel time.

Matching bullet weight is more important than velocity.

Heavier bullets in revolvers as a general rule will shoot higher, lighter bullets will shoot lower.

In my .45 ACP/.45 Colt convertibles if I shoot the same weight bullet in each caliber, it doesn't matter within reason what the velocity is. I can shoot a 232-grain Saeco #954 with 4.5 grains of Bullseye in the .45 ACP and the same bullet with 7.2 grains of Bullseye in the .45 Colt and the two loads shoot close enough together for good field utility even though the .45 ACP load is only 830 fps and the .45 Colt load is 1000 fps.

Totally agree. My Ruger BH with .45 LC puts a Lyman 452424 (245 gr) over Red Dot 6.0 gr and a 45 ACP with Lyman 452374 over Red Dot 4.5 gr to the same POI @ 25 yds.

Cold Trigger Finger
07-15-2017, 07:13 PM
I guess I'll be a guinea pig on this issue. But, will report my findings.
I'm expecting a 500 fps difference in velocity between my heavy boolit, 1250 fps and a plinking ACP load of prolly 700-750 fps.
, with a 185-255 gr bullet.

Landy88
07-16-2017, 02:52 AM
One thing that can work for you with trying to match POA of plinker / small game / defensive loads to that of big game loads is the disparate range at which the loads get used. They needn't both zero at 25. If your ACP were to the sights at 15 and your LC at 50, that's still a very useful circumstance.

Cold Trigger Finger
07-16-2017, 04:40 AM
That's a good point ! I don't know why in the past I never played around with light plinker loads in different 45 Colt and 44 mag handguns I had to find out if I could get a light , slow load to print similar to a heavy , fast bear load.
I suspect a lack of brain wave activity on my part.

9.3X62AL
07-16-2017, 03:15 PM
That's a good point ! I don't know why in the past I never played around with light plinker loads in different 45 Colt and 44 mag handguns I had to find out if I could get a light , slow load to print similar to a heavy , fast bear load.
I suspect a lack of brain wave activity on my part.

No worries, sir. Rome wasn't built in a day, either. For reloaders, the chase is easily as much fun as the capture--if not more so.