PDA

View Full Version : New twist on lead scrounging

rickomatic
07-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Like others here, since I've become enamored with casting boolits, I'm always on the hunt for new sources of our precious commodity. I previously had a successful outing sifting range lead from an informal sand banked shooting area I frequent in Eastern Washington, but as late, due to the hot and dry temperature, I haven't been able to dig down far enough to get any since spring. Every shovel full of sand I take out while attempting to get to the mother load, gets filled in with two shovelfuls sluffing down from the hillside above. Alas, I had decided to wait until some rain this fall to get some of that lead.
Then, this past weekend, I decided to do a little shooting at that same hillside, and to also survey a recent wildfire that had ravaged the area the past week. Well, the fire had indeed ravaged right through my shooting area, and scoured away all the bunchgrass and sagrbrush around it. As I was looking around I saw something that I had never seen before. In one small area that was sort of dished out, and had previously held a few bushes, I saw little streams of a familiar silver gray substance running down the slope. Yep....that wildfire had melted a few slugs that happenend to be near the surface, and I gleaned about 2 pounds of naturally smelted boolit material!! I guess it pays to always be on the lookout for any new lead source, whether expected or not! :-D
Oh..and as a bonus side note, there was a brand spankin new set of cougar tracks going right down the center of the trail. Cool!

dominicfortune00
07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Well as my gold panning buddy says, 'Gold is where you find it."

In this case, 'Lead is where you find it.'

Good find.

GabbyM
07-28-2008, 08:44 PM
When are you moving to Beverly Hills Jed?

rickomatic
07-28-2008, 09:16 PM
When are you moving to Beverly Hills Jed?

...soon as I kin fine me a place wid one o' them fancy eatin tables :mrgreen:

kingstrider
07-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm planning on hitting the range this weekend as well. As far as I know there are only a few guys that cast their own in my club and I'm the only one young enough or just willing to pick up the free lead.

targetshootr
07-28-2008, 10:31 PM
I pick 'em up too. No sense letting them go to waste. And it's good exercise. Two years ago I dislocated a disc when I picked up a full bucket of ww so all that bending over is penance for being so boneheaded.

:castmine:

Frank46
07-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Hey, don't ferget the cement pond. Frank

Tom Herman
07-29-2008, 01:07 AM
I previously had a successful outing sifting range lead from an informal sand banked shooting area I frequent in Eastern Washington, but as late, due to the hot and dry temperature, I haven't been able to dig down far enough to get any since spring. Then, this past weekend, I decided to do a little shooting at that same hillside, and to also survey a recent wildfire that had ravaged the area the past week. Well, the fire had indeed ravaged right through my shooting area, and scoured away all the bunchgrass and sagrbrush around it. As I was looking around I saw something that I had never seen before. In one small area that was sort of dished out, and had previously held a few bushes, I saw little streams of a familiar silver gray substance running down the slope. Yep....that wildfire had melted a few slugs that happenend to be near the surface, and I gleaned about 2 pounds of naturally smelted boolit material!! I guess it pays to always be on the lookout for any new lead source, whether expected or not! :-D
Oh..and as a bonus side note, there was a brand spankin new set of cougar tracks going right down the center of the trail. Cool!

Was that the Bager Mountain fire near Wenatchee by any chance?

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Bigjohn
07-29-2008, 03:25 AM
That's what I like about this sport; there is ALWAYS someone contributing to my supply of fresh material. [smilie=1:

Simple maths; 100 shooters shooting :Fire: - 1 caster sifting :castmine: = pb heaven. :-D

John

copdills
07-29-2008, 03:29 AM
congrats on your find any lead is good lead

rickomatic
07-29-2008, 11:58 PM
Was that the Bager Mountain fire near Wenatchee by any chance?

No, Tom. It was the Stuhlmiller Rd fire from this last Tuesday near Crescent Bar. Only about 1200-1700 acres. Saw that Badger Mt. fire two weeks ago. That was a biggun!!:shock:

Three44s
07-30-2008, 01:20 AM
I scrounge my own personal lead banks as well.

Three 44s