PDA

View Full Version : Even a blind hog...

KCSO
07-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Even a blind hog can find an acorn now and then. I had sold my last Rossi 92 a while back to a friend who wanted it for years. It was a 357 made before all the safety devices and a good shooter holding under 3# at 100 yards with iron sights.

I got to missing it so much I ended up buying a new one. First I put it on the bench and smoothed it and set the trigger for 3# even. I slipped on a set of Marbles sights andt hen I erased all the goofy safety switches.

Well I got it to the range today and it IS a shooter. 158 grain swc few fine after the polish job and at 50 yards went in under 1 1/2" with the iron sights. 357 loads shot just an inch higher and grouped even tighter. The only thing I regret is that it took 6 hours on the bench to get it as smoother and easy feeding as the 1970 model was right from the box.

This one will have to be a keeper.

shoot-n-lead
07-14-2017, 01:45 PM
Gee...you must have gotten a rough one.

Mine smoothed up nicely, in no time.

Shawlerbrook
07-14-2017, 02:18 PM
They are scarce around here.

Blackwater
07-14-2017, 06:47 PM
Scarce here, too! I want one, but haven't had the what-it-takes to order one in. Wanted to work the action before buying, but .... I'm getting awful antsy, with all you guys getting them, and me not having one! :mrgreen: I may have to see if I can't find some what-it-takes. I just KNOW I has some around here SOMEwhere! Thanks for the report!

fecmech
07-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Wanted to work the action before buying, but ....
I wouldn't worry about that at all as they are so easy to smooth up. Jump in, the water's fine!

KCSO
07-15-2017, 11:42 AM
I have a real 92 for comparison so my idea of slick is somewhat sterner than a lot of folks. If you ever cycle one for Steve's shop you will know what I mean. Right now all the distributors are out of new Rossi levers as all the production is going to Taurus revolvers and semi's.

Texas by God
07-16-2017, 12:36 AM
I would like to find my old Rossi 44-40. I fussed with that thing till it was so good I sold it. My wife's model 62 Puma .357 is staying for sure!