PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Lead Remover

alamogunr
07-14-2017, 01:07 PM
I recently bought an OLD Lewis Lead Remover from a member here. I now need to get some supplies. It came with a couple of different sizes of forcing cone tips and by measuring, I have determined what caliber they are for. The screens are a different story. Does anyone know the diameter of the various screens?

BTW, I called Brownell's but their expertise doesn't extend to that product. Not criticizing because I don't know how they keep up with all their products anyway.

dbosman
07-14-2017, 04:28 PM
I have two of those, but mostly use copper Chore Boy brand sponge strands wrapped around a bore brush, now.
My local "real" hardware store still has copper and bronze window screening. Cut into squares, wiggling the roughly center hole open far enough for the screw, works for me.

DougGuy
07-14-2017, 04:34 PM
What are you shooting that leads enough to need a lead remover? Once throats are sized correctly for boolits, and alloy and lube are dialed in I never even clean my bores, nothing to clean out!

alamogunr
07-14-2017, 05:07 PM
So! You recommend I throw it out in the trash?

I really only bought it as insurance and it was priced right.

johniv
07-14-2017, 05:19 PM
The Lewis tool works well. I have one but rarely use it except to clean forcing cones. I don't get leading either, but do clean after shooting. If there is a problem, between my regular cleaning and the lewis lead remover, I got it covered.

KCSO
07-14-2017, 05:49 PM
For the scrapers go to the local smoke shop and get brass filters that the dopers use. Poke a hole in the center and you are good to go. Over the years many dopers have generously given me a load of these along with their time and their stash.

30calflash
07-14-2017, 05:50 PM
I'll have to check but I believe the screens are the same size between different calibers.

The tension is provided by adjusting the jam nut on the rubber end that gets pulled thru the bore.

wbrco
07-14-2017, 06:33 PM
For the scrapers go to the local smoke shop and get brass filters that the dopers use. Poke a hole in the center and you are good to go. Over the years many dopers have generously given me a load of these along with their time and their stash.The quickie shops in the bad part of town usually have real Chore Boys too for the same reason. [emoji1]

That's where I get mine. Figured this out working part time at one. Stocked up before I quit.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

wlkjr
07-14-2017, 06:48 PM
I'll have to check but I believe the screens are the same size between different calibers.

The tension is provided by adjusting the jam nut on the rubber end that gets pulled thru the bore.

The 9mm and .45acp are different diameters.

Blackwater
07-14-2017, 06:55 PM
I used to be issued 1,000 rds of the dirtiest, grungiest, cheapest ammo available, as a pistol team member. This stuff HAD to be lubed with cow chips! Really! It was just awful! The Lewis Lead Remover came to my rescue, and I've lauded it ever since. Never really had to use it except with those nasty WC's, but it sure was welcome there! Those and patches cut from one of those "Miracle Cloths" and the bore was pristine after shooting! And without all the laborious and potentially bore-damaging scrubbing! FWIW?

17nut
07-14-2017, 07:03 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-100-Count-3-4-790-20mm-Pipe-Screens-High-End-BRASS-High-Quality-/172695435816?hash=item2835733a28:g:RI4AAOSwBt5ZJkb v

$2.37/100

Larry Gibson
07-14-2017, 07:53 PM
I've had a Lewis Lead Remover since the early '70s. As an LEO I was issued some of the crappiest 38 SPLs that would severely lead up the forcing cone and barrel of any revolver. It was common practice at training sessions and at the state BPST (Board of Police Standards and Training) Academy for the instructors to have a S&W cleaning rod with a stainless brush on it to get the lead out.....I preferred the Lewis Lead Remover when I became a BPST firearms instructor. When instructing other departments I had little say in the quality of ammunition used which was mostly 38 SPLs back then. LE purchases were made mostly on low bid not quality. After several years I had convinced most departments I was involved with to get better quality training ammunition that didn't lead that much. That reduced the leading and actually improved the qual scores.

It cleans the forcing cone and gets the lead completely out as quick, if not quicker, than any other method. I have used it with 9mms, 38/357s, 41s, 44s and 45s. I ended up with a pretty good supply of head shop screens also and they work fine. I've also cut my own screens from faucet screening bought at the local hardware store.

No, none of my developed loads lead the forcing cones, throats or barrels at all. However, since I conduct all sorts of tests with various cast bullets of different alloys with a variety of lubes along with commercial reloads or commercial ammunition I do get leading in my test guns. I've tried all the other methods but none are as good or as quick at removing leading.......I would not be without the Lewis Lead Remover.

Dusty Bannister
07-14-2017, 08:01 PM
I have had a lead remover ever since I had to shoot the department issued practice ammo in my service revolver (that ought to date this information) and the brass screens are about 1" in diameter. The 3/4 inch should work fine for 38 or even 9MM but might be a little small for larger calibers.
Dusty

rockshooter
07-14-2017, 08:45 PM
the ones I use for .45 are 1".
Loren

Wally
07-14-2017, 08:49 PM
Here you go...good deal on a package of 100 screens...

100 + Count 1 inch" 25.4 mm Pipe Screens BRASS USA MADE!

http://www.truegether.com/listing.html?id=USER.963f40cf-9052-4a91-b452-da55febb54cd&gclid=CjwKCAjw16HLBRBFEiwAElREqHaoeCoG2yUoDxEF7nDe DBdBhUlXa5KyTrqc9nK2fbCfKoSK-RedvBoCJnsQAvD_BwE

Rainier
07-15-2017, 12:57 AM
OK - I suppose I'll ask the question hasn't been asked yet. Why not simply powder coat your boolits and quit worrying about leading?

Larry Gibson
07-15-2017, 09:45 AM
OK - I suppose I'll ask the question hasn't been asked yet. Why not simply powder coat your boolits and quit worrying about leading?

Because PCing does not give me the desired accuracy and many times still leads/fouls the bore. I have no problem lubricating cast bullets the way they were intended to be lubed. Lubing works for me, PC does not.

Larry Gibson
07-15-2017, 09:50 AM
The Lewis size screens come in two sizes; 1" and 1 1/8". Here is my Lewis Lead Remover I've had for 45+ years. I also have cut of the female inset end of a GI 30 cal rod so the Lewis Lead Removers can be used on rifles with a rifle length cleaning rod. I use a one piece 30 cal "barrack" rod with a brass cone muzzle protector. The Lewis Lead Remover with the 38 and 45 caliber adapters can thus be used in 35 thru 45 caliber rifles.

alamogunr
07-15-2017, 10:31 AM
The Lewis size screens come in two sizes; 1" and 1 1/8". Here is my Lewis Lead Remover I've had for 45+ years. I also have cut of the female inset end of a GI 30 cal rod so the Lewis Lead Removers can be used on rifles with a rifle length cleaning rod. I use a one piece 30 cal "barrack" rod with a brass cone muzzle protector. The Lewis Lead Remover with the 38 and 45 caliber adapters can thus be used in 35 thru 45 caliber rifles.

That is the same box mine came in. Have your rubber tips hardened?

retread
07-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Brownell's does carry the Lewis lead remover. here's the web address.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

Larry Gibson
07-15-2017, 11:18 AM
That is the same box mine came in. Have your rubber tips hardened?

A bit. I make sure to back off the tension after use. That was a tip in the old Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks I think(?) or I got it from somewhere.

Petrol & Powder
07-15-2017, 11:21 AM
I have a small supply of screens for my LLR and they seem to last forever.

Every now and then I'll get a load that leads in one of my guns, usually I screwed up and caused that problem myself. The Lewis Lead Remover does the trick in in one pass. It's a great tool to have on the bench.

alamogunr
07-15-2017, 12:29 PM
Brownell's does carry the Lewis lead remover. here's the web address.

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleaning-chemicals/patches-mops/lead-remover/lewis-lead-remover-prod21587.aspx

I placed an order last night. I was somewhat disappointed though. I received an email from Brownell's about free shipping until 11:59PM. Placing order online it wouldn't give me free shipping w/o enrolling in something called EDGE @ $49.95. I don't buy that much to make it even out. When I called this morning all I was told was that I should call my order in next time.

Any way, I ordered new rubber tips for all calibers.

alamogunr
07-18-2017, 06:57 PM
I need to correct something in my last post. I checked Brownell's site for my order and they did give me free shipping. I don't want to leave the impression that I'm dissatisfied with them.

Also, I received the 1" screens from the link earlier. The mesh is finer than the Lewis screens. I think they will work fine but thought I should clarify. I guess I'm too old to understand what else these screens are used for.