PDA

View Full Version : to lube or not to lube , this is the question

dagger dog
07-28-2008, 05:02 PM
Hey guys,

Another greenie needing help:confused:.
I bent y'alls ears the other day about the 245415 Lyman, .22 cal gas check bullets that I was casting as my first batch of boolits. Then I was surfing through some of the previous posts, saw some pics and that brought on these questions.

The 245415, when you add the gas check to the base ,creates a third lube groove, in addition to the two others, I plan to seat the bullet and crimp into the top groove, should that top groove be lubed? Is lube in the crimp groove necessary for a good seal and no leading?

dromia
07-28-2008, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't lube into a groove I was crimping into.

Only experimentation in your rifle and with you specific boolit and load will tell you how many lube groves of lube works best for you.

Start with plenty and then work back and note what happens.

454PB
07-28-2008, 05:13 PM
In general, I try to avoid lubing the crimp groove "IF" it's actually going to be used for crimping. The reason is that it makes a mess and smears lube on the case and boolit.

runfiverun
07-28-2008, 09:26 PM
if you aren't going to crimp in it i would fill it.
and then not fill it. and see if ,or what the difference is.

ra_balke
07-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Dont crimp anything ... please !
Lube any of the groves you want.

If you are new to cast bullets, just seat the bullet so the base is is not below the case neck, and so when you load a round, the front just touches the rifling.

keep you velosity down to about 1700 fps so you can get good positive results the first time you try.

2400 is a champion cast bullet powder.

jhalcott
07-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I don't normally crimp a bullet that I single load. Like in a contender or single shot rifle. In repeaters, I don't want the bullet moving in the case due to recoil. These get crimped. Lube is a tricky thing, you have to let the GUN tell you what it likes.

dagger dog
07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
I was going to try the 245415's in my single shot bolt action Hornet . I've not shot any cast boolits other than muzzle loading patched round balls and some bought cast .357" LSWC's in a .38 Special. I was used to crimping the .357's and I just took it for granted I should crimp these .22 I'm working on.

I've been reloading for 6-7 yrs now and am fimilar with not crimping the rifle rounds I load, the thought just didn't cross my mind not to crimp , but with the info just acquried I think I won't and also try to get the seating length close to the lands. I have 2400 and it is one of the powders I'll try with the '415's . I'll have to see how the bullets seat into the case if the third lube groove is below the case mouth I'll go ahead and run them back through the sizer and lube the third cannelure . BIG thanks on all the comebacks!

runfiverun
07-29-2008, 09:53 PM
even if it sticks out it will be fine to lube it,you are gonna have them in a box??

rusty marlin
07-30-2008, 03:41 PM
For my .38-55 I use blown out .30-30 brass which comes up about 1/8" short of real .3-55 brass.

I don't crimp as its for a single shot, and I lube all the grooves, even the one that sticks out of the case. I store my ammo nose down in a case and haven't had any problems. I wouldn't want to carry them in my pocket though.

dagger dog
07-30-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I'll keep them in a box or my cartridge wallet, that way they won't pick up dirt, and if the last groove sticks out it just will.

I imagine it is better to err on the more lube side 'cause it will cause less problems than not enough lube. I haven't had the "JOY" of scouring lead from a barrel and really don't want to!