PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Judge 6.5" barrel fun

Gunfreak25
07-13-2017, 02:07 PM
I picked up a Judge. For those un-aware, it is chambered for .410 Shot-Shells and .45 LC. It's a hoot to shoot, and the colts shoot surprisingly well for jumping nearly an inch into the forcing cone. But I got to thinking, why not make an extra long 45 colt to get that bullet started closer to the rifling, yet keep powder charges the same.

410 Brass shot shells are readily available, 444 Marlin also works great as does fire forming out 303 British of which I have a plenty.

Thinking a standard charge of 8 grains Unique, some dacron for the airspace and my 255 grain Lee RNFP's.

I have heard of a couple folks doing this with good results but thought i'd get your guy's take on such a light charge in a long case. It would in a sense be the same as loading 45-70 to gallery specs.

Gunfreak25
07-13-2017, 03:45 PM
It was a good idea but no dice. I fire formed 303 British brass and there just isn't enough room for the bullet and brass at the forward portion of the cylinder bores. The bores are stepped with the first half allowing only 45LC dimension rounds to chamber, with the forward step being about .465. It would seem Taurus put a lot of thought into the cylinder bores to allow for decent accuracy with 45 ammo and compatibility of 410 loads. It is a wildly versatile little gun and a real blast to shoot.

Ramjet-SS
07-13-2017, 07:53 PM
I shoot the SD 2.5" with a 40 cal slug and some pellets. it's just a fun gun to play around with

GhostHawk
07-13-2017, 08:46 PM
.444 marlin are tapered, might work.

Otherwise I would try one round of the .410 brass and run it through different dies until it will slip fit. Then fire form it.

I've thought about them, figured on it, thought more, and eventually decided I'd rather have either a straight .45lc lever action or pistol.

The other option would be of course to ream the cylinders out.

Either way seems like a more work than it is worth.

bluelund79
07-14-2017, 10:18 AM
I bought one of these, finally, this year after lusting over them since they came out. Anytime I set aside the funds for one, something else shiny caught my attention. This is my only revolver not roll marked with S&W or Ruger. Its also not going to be sold/traded. Way too much fun. I've had good success with 255gr Keith boolits sized .453/Win LPP/Trailboss, as well as my 2.5 and 3" 410 shot loads. Its not going to win any beauty contests, but it carries well on my belt, shoots where I point it, and I don't care much if it gets rained on/muddy/sweaty, etc. I like it enough in fact, I may actually ditch the Fobus holster and invest in a decent leather holster for it. That's usually my way of saying its not going anywhere.....I do like hearing what others have tried brass wise to compensate for the jump on 45 Colt loads, but until I get more time to dink with it, i'll just use what is working for the time being. Keep sharing!