PDA

View Full Version : new guy

silverback32
07-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Hello everyone.

I have been reloading for three years and have decided to give casting a try.

I have never seen anyone cast, and unfortunately, I don't know anyone who casts. I have been able to round up some free wheel weights, cast iron pot, 38 "keith style"lyman mould, an rcbs thermometer, and scored at the gun show- a Lyman 450 for $50.00. I have smelted my first ingot.

Needless to say I'm excited but clueless. I hope you guys are patient with noob questions

:-D

Echo
07-28-2008, 01:25 PM
Silverback, we all started as newbies - maybe a looong time ago, but newbies nonetheless. My advice to you is to get on this board as much as possible, and examine the archived items. I've been reloading, and casting, for over 40 years, and I am learning stuff from this board every day. You have made a wise choice - a couple of wise choices, as a matter of fact - in reloading, getting into casting, and getting on this board. Welcome!

(I'm a newbie on this board - only been on a coupleof months, and don't want to live without it!)

EMC45
07-28-2008, 03:20 PM
I've been shooting for 25+ years and reloading for 5 years. Casting for about 2 years. I joined here last year and I learn something new everyday! Sit back and enjoy.

Calamity Jake
07-28-2008, 03:21 PM
You think making that first ingot is fun, wait till you make that first boolet!!!! [smilie=w:

And then shoot it!!!!!!!! [smilie=w: [smilie=w:

Welcome aboard

dromia
07-28-2008, 04:11 PM
Welcome to Cast Boolits silverback32 :drinks:

You've come to the right place to start, lots of help, friendship and good knowledge here.

A dipper, some lube and a suitable size die for your 450 and your good to go.

Sounds like you've sorted the heat source :-D

wills
07-28-2008, 04:23 PM
You may regard the advice you receive here as authoritative, with the exception of information regarding sheep.

If you cant think of any questions, here are some answers anyway: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/search.php?searchid=863900

Razor
07-28-2008, 04:42 PM
I'll add my WELCOME, Silverback..[smilie=s:
You'll come to love it here..
Great bunch of knowledgable enablers here..
Watch out tho..They'll talk you into all kinds of spendy stuff..:-D[smilie=w:

Razor
:castmine:

Duce
07-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Glad to see you join! Now since no one else has explained to you the rules of casting it looks like it will be me the next to the new guy here.

Rules:

1. You must put up all your stuff up for free to anyone that wants it.

2. Anything you buy you must let everyone here know of it and give it to the first that ask for it.

3. All bullets you cast must be given away as a freebie.

4. All questions are subject to be criticized.

6. If you post something stupid we will forgive you until you get to 10 stupid points and then you will be beat you until we think you have had enough to know not to do it again.

7. We must be invited to your casting and reloading area of your home so we can look for anything we want.

8. Never question anything told to you by one of us, we are never wrong.

9. Always know casting and reloading comes first. Before family home or life itself.

10. You must pass these rules on to the next new person that joins the addiction.

(Note: welcome aboard and know that this posting of mine is a joke for a good laugh for you)

docone31
07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey, they even let me in here!
You will like this forum. It is addictive.
First and foremost, casting is simple. It is getting the quality of the cast that takes work.
Do not be afraid to try.
The worst that can happen to your cast is to remelt and try again.
I reccomend for reading, THIS FORUM. Some of the old timeys be here. They got da know.
A lot to learn here.

Bigjohn
07-28-2008, 07:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Silverback2.

All I can say is; Heat up the pot and metal until it's turned fluid; flux a little and then start pouring hot ones.

Make certain that you have cleaned your mold in something which will remove the factory applied rust preventative. Especially from the cavities.

Once the mold is up to temp. then they will start to come out lookin' like store bought ones

WARNING:- Don't pick up the first shiny smooth one which you drop from the mold to admire your handy work. It would be the first and last time you do that. [smilie=1:

Don't add the rejects and sprues back to the pot until you need to refill it.

If you need more details then ask here or use the search facilities in the header bar to find relative information already here.

:castmine:

John

timkelley
07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Silver', I was exactly in your position last Nov. or Dec. I now make passable boolits. Just keep reading and thinking about what you've read "It" comes with time and not really much of that.

runfiverun
07-28-2008, 08:53 PM
i will add that i would bet that there are 1 or 2 sheep authorities on here also.....
i ain't one of them.
welcome on in.
if you have noticed some of put where we are from by our avatars.
if you see someone near you i would also bet they will give you a lesson.

HeavyMetal
07-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Welcome aboard!

Don't worry about noobie questions ( or spelling) We've all been there and done that!

I will add one should never cast near playfull animals. Years ago I was casting on the Kitchen stove making boolets for my 45-70 Marlin. These would be the RCBS 300 Gr. jobs.

Was making a goodly pile when one got away from me and hit the floor!

My girl friends cat jumped on it with all four paws so it wouldn't get away! It didn't!

The results were.... Loud!

Do you know it takes 6 weeks for a cats paw to heal from a 3rd degree burn?

Also there's nothing as pathtic as watching a cat suck up to it's owner by trying to limp on all four feet at the same time!

So be careful this stuff can get hot!

silverback32
07-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. Sheep? I thought this was cattle country.....

I know I will like it here.

Newtire
07-29-2008, 08:04 AM
I will add my welcome also silverback32.

It gets bad when cast boolit forum topics are a part of your ordinary daily conversation with the wife. A pretty fun place!

Cherokee
07-29-2008, 12:40 PM
If we knew where you were located, you might actually be close to one of us for personal lessons.

snuffy
07-29-2008, 12:58 PM
If we knew where you were located, you might actually be close to one of us for personal lessons.

Exactly! If you were close enough to my 10-20, that I could get to your place and back with one tank of gas, I'd be plum tickled to come over and help you get started. So fill out yer profile newbie, so's we know where ya live.

That said, welcome to the forum AND the addiction!

silverback32
07-29-2008, 08:33 PM
Exactly! If you were close enough to my 10-20, that I could get to your place and back with one tank of gas, I'd be plum tickled to come over and help you get started. So fill out yer profile newbie, so's we know where ya live.

That said, welcome to the forum AND the addiction!

I am from Columbia SC......and finally figured out how to update my profile

RustyFN
07-29-2008, 08:53 PM
Welcome silverback32. I'm fairly new to casting and couldn't have done it without all of the great help I got from these guys. You came to the right place.
Rusty

silverback32
07-30-2008, 07:47 AM
Welcome silverback32. I'm fairly new to casting and couldn't have done it without all of the great help I got from these guys. You came to the right place.
Rusty

Hi Rusty- Nice to see another GLOCKPOST member here!:drinks:

copdills
07-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the forum silverback32

Bill*
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
WELCOME SILVERBACK;
Might as well get it over with--Just post your bank account balances and I'm sure some of the guys here will furnish ya with a list of stuff you "gotta have". Interestingly, the totals will be similar! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
Seriously though, this place is fantastic-you're gonna love it here.....Bill

silverback32
07-30-2008, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forum silverback32

I didn't know you were a bullet caster!!!! Where are you again?:)

silverback32
07-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I didn't know you were a bullet caster!!!! Where are you again?:)

bump:twisted:

skeet1
07-31-2008, 07:16 PM
silverback32,
I've been reloading since 1966 and casting bullets starting a few years after that. The end of last year I stumbled onto this web site and I like all the others learn every time I log on. You will get many different ideas and methods of reloading and casting. This is some of the best time I spend on the computer. Welcome and get ready to enjoy something new.

Skeet1

runfiveswife
07-31-2008, 07:34 PM
welcome to the forum, these are a great bunch of guys and they are very helpful and fun

copdills
08-01-2008, 06:21 AM
I am in Clover South Carolina in the upstate , I am new to casting but having alot of FUN LOL

silverback32
08-01-2008, 07:52 AM
I am in Clover South Carolina in the upstate , I am new to casting but having alot of FUN LOL

I am so new at this that "newbie"[smilie=1: would be a promotion...