PDA

View Full Version : My first Lyman mould showed today...how do I use it?

Tripplebeards
07-11-2017, 06:03 PM
It's the devistator 44. I am guessing I have to turn it upside down and remove the handled pin each time from the mold to remove the bullet. Can't find any YouTube videos on it.

Grmps
07-11-2017, 06:34 PM
I coat the pin with a graphite pencil then after each cast, I twist the pin far enough to come out (this breaks if free)remove it then dump, as usual, replace pin giving 1/4 turn and do it again. If you leave it in when you dump you may end up chassing the pin.

waco
07-11-2017, 07:25 PM
The key to casting with a mold like that is once the mold and pin are up to temp, cast FAST. You HAVE to keep the pin HOT!
A hot pin is a happy pin, to quote Glen Fryxell.
Preheat the mold and pin on a hot plate while your lead pot is heating up.

Tripplebeards
07-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Good advise! So turn the pin while the mold is shut to break it loose so the boolit drops out loose. Any tips on dropping the bullet out w/o dinging it up? I would assume the pin drops out with it? The "c" clip must rotate under the screw that I installed to keep the pin in place.

Wait, remove the pin completely before dropping the bullet. It's coming to me.lol

That baby feels like Thor's hammer compared to my lee molds.

waco
07-11-2017, 09:00 PM
Yes. Remove the pin before you open the mold blocks. Drop boolits on a soft shop towel.