PDA

View Full Version : Bonanza/Fosters priming tool

abunaitoo
07-10-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm use a RCBS press mount strip prime.
Works good, but sometimes I need to move the shell to line up the primer to the hole.
I also have the Lee hand prime, Lyman press mount prime, and a RCBS bench prime with the tubes.
Anyone have the Bonanza/Fosters Co-ax primer????
Looks like it would take a little longer to set up, but it's different.

Pressman
07-10-2017, 06:59 PM
"Looks like it would take a little longer to set up, but it's different."

And it can drop primers sideways very easily. Take it slow and watch for an odd feel. I never detonated a primer seating them sideways but it is possible .
I would stick with the RCBS Bench Prime.
Ken

ghh3rd
07-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Gotta hate those sideways primers!

daboone
07-11-2017, 05:39 AM
I have and use both the Forster and the RCBS bench primer. I like both but as you mentioned it does take more time to set up the Forster jaws for each caliber and loading their primer tubes does too. For that reason I use the RCBS more frequently.

Maven
07-11-2017, 08:20 AM
I have the Forster device as well and find it difficult to use. It is the least reliable priming tool I own and is on a par with or slightly worse than the new Lee Precision square primer tray hand operated tool. The Lee round tray hand primers and an old Lachmiller bench tool (separate shell holders, no tray or primer sleeve) were the best by far.

Wayne Smith
07-11-2017, 09:18 AM
I have an old Forester and have had the same problems - hard to get the disks lined up and the primers easily go everywhere. But, the easiest loading primer tubes I've used. PM me if you want it.

Bent Ramrod
07-11-2017, 10:55 AM
I found one ANIB for reasonable and thought I would set it up permanently for the .30-40 base and rim size.

Got a few of them primed and then spent the rest of the afternoon picking primers off the floor, having to separate the spent ones that had bounced out of primer catchers from the live ones that had popped out of the Forster tool. I think I got most of them. I still don't know exactly what happened.

Back the tool went into its original box. "In point of fact, it didn't work, but it was a good idea nonetheless."

abunaitoo
07-13-2017, 07:48 PM
It looks like it would be a better primer.
Glad I didn't get one.
They still make it.

Wayne Smith
07-14-2017, 07:52 AM
It looks like it would be a better primer.
Glad I didn't get one.
They still make it.
It may be but I don't have the patience to fiddle with it to find out!