PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
07-10-2017, 06:49 AM
And not many days after, the younger son gathered all together, journeyed to a far country, and there wasted his possessions with prodigal living."

—Luke 15:13

Have you ever wondered whether God would forgive you or extend a second chance? Maybe you think that because of the sins you’ve committed perhaps you have gone too far.

Jesus told the story of the prodigal son who ran away from home. He took the money he received through his inheritance and squandered it on prostitutes and parties. Then, after the money ran out and his friends went away, the prodigal came to his senses and returned home. He was graciously welcomed back and forgiven by his father.

Jesus told this story to give us a picture of God. We are like that prodigal who has run away from God. But if we will turn from our sin and return to Him, He will forgive us.

But what if, after a few months of being home, the prodigal son got tired of hanging around with his dad and told him, “I’m leaving again.” Let’s say that he went out and did the same things again and then returned home. Do you think his father would have forgiven him a second time? Yes. But let’s say he went out a third time and did it again. Do you think the prodigal would have been forgiven a third time? Yes. What if he did it a fourth time? What if he did it a fifteenth time? Would he have been forgiven? Yes, yes, and yes.

In the same way, we might ask, “If we sin against God, will He forgive us?” Absolutely. What if we’ve blown it more than once? Will He still forgive us? Yes. He will forgive us again, and again, and again.

No matter what you have done, no matter what sins you have committed, God stands ready to forgive you if you will come to Him.

Thundarstick
07-10-2017, 08:19 AM
Luk 15:20-21
So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.
“The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

Yes he was forgiven, but it took action on the sons part and repentance!

Luk 15:28-32
“The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him.
But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends.
But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’
“ ‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.
But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ ”

This as well! How are the faithful to receive an erring brother? After the parables in ch15, at the end we are reminded of our place!

square butte
07-10-2017, 08:31 AM
7 times 70 - Thanks for the morning word rl

USMC87
07-10-2017, 09:17 AM
Thank you for a great start of the day.

Pine Baron
07-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Forgive US our debts, as we forgive THOSE who debt against us.

Blackwater
07-10-2017, 05:02 PM
This is a perspective on that story that I've never heard, but we know the patience and love of our Lord is near limitless. It only ends when we breathe our last breath. What a wonderful, loving, patient and graceful Lord we serve!