PDA

View Full Version : Summer Corn and Potato Chowder

WRideout
07-09-2017, 01:21 PM
I was trying to use up some stuff in the frig, and invented this today. It was good enough I wrote it down. Enjoy.

Summer corn and potato chowder

Ingredients
1 qt chicken broth
4 slices of bacon, diced
¼ cup onion, diced
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 cup of fresh corn kernels cut from cob
1 - 4 oz. can chopped green chilies
3 tbsp flour
1- 5 oz can evaporated milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté together bacon and onion until onion is translucent. Add flour and stir together until flour is mixed with other ingredients, but do not let it brown. Add chicken broth a little at a time while stirring. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for a minute. Add potatoes, chilies and corn. Simmer for twenty to thirty minutes. When potatoes are done, add the evaporated milk, and bring back up to temperature, but do not boil. Adjust seasonings. Bacon has salt in it, so it may not need any added.

Wayne

DCP
07-09-2017, 05:53 PM
Copy made for the wife

Thanks

williamwaco
07-09-2017, 08:00 PM
Yum...

MaryB
07-09-2017, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a good fall chowder with corn from the freezer!

WRideout
07-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Thanks everybody. You could actually use almost any type of corn; frozen, canned etc. But I think the ears straight out of the field are best. I think the bacon grease must help my creaky joints (at least that's what I tell myself.)

Wayne

johnho
07-17-2017, 04:28 PM
Never would have thought to use evaporated milk. All my white chowders I've used heavy cream and dilute with some milk if needed. I have to try this. Thanks.

Smoke4320
07-17-2017, 05:14 PM
does sound interesting
Thanks for sharing