PDA

View Full Version : Lube questions

Marlin Junky
07-27-2008, 06:35 PM
What is the downside of adding too much grated Ivory? I've found that about 1 ounce grated Ivory per pound of beeswax raises the lube melt temp about 10-15F degrees compared to the Ivory not being there at all.

Second question:
Out of all the oils discussed on this forum (e.g. mineral, castor, olive, jojoba, etc.) excluding the petroleum based products, is there one or two or a combination thereof that will have minimal effect on lube melt temp?

MJ

felix
07-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Not sure about the different oil effects on the final lube temp. Assume until otherwise, none. If you don't want the lube temp rise, use plain ol' stearic acid instead of sodium stearate, Ivory. However, stearic acid tends to make the lube slightly harder, perhaps not enough to be noticeable in the amounts typically used for the "glue" effect. ... felix

Marlin Junky
07-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Felix,

Thanks for the input. I should have said I want to build a dessert lube.

MJ

Dale53
07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Give a call to Lars at:

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

Ask him about the melting temperature of Red Carnauba. I believe it is about 150 degrees. I believe that will pretty much solve your problem. I quit making my own lube when I learned how well Red Carnauba works and how inexpensive it is.

Just a thought...

Dale53

07-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Where do you buy red carnuba?

felix
07-27-2008, 10:45 PM
See above post. ... felix

runfiverun
07-27-2008, 11:32 PM
bees wax melts near 170* iirc
seems if about all additives are liquid at this temp they would all either be solid or
liquid all at once.
or this is where i would look [stuff that has bout the same melting point]

Marlin Junky
07-28-2008, 03:13 PM
Give a call to Lars at:

http://www.lsstuff.com/index.html

Ask him about the melting temperature of Red Carnauba. I believe it is about 150 degrees. I believe that will pretty much solve your problem. I quit making my own lube when I learned how well Red Carnauba works and how inexpensive it is.

Just a thought...

Dale53

Thanks for the tip but I've still got a closet full of lube components for creating my own pan-lubin' flops... and my only luber-sizer (a Lyman 450) is full of LBT Soft Blue (to test my pan-lubin' flops against).

MJ

44man
07-28-2008, 03:46 PM
Seems to me that too much Ivory will not melt in. Stuff is a bear to get in anyway.

dubber123
07-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Seems to me that too much Ivory will not melt in. Stuff is a bear to get in anyway.

The best move I ever made in my lube making was buying one of those little hand held blenders made for mixing drinks and such. I got mine cheap off E-bag. Saves ALOT of stirring, and TIME!. It's the only thing that ever truly got the Ivory to melt in.