PDA

View Full Version : Chorizo

mwhite49
07-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Home made, that way it is not Mystery meat. 1 lbg extra lean ground beef. Mix in 1/3 cup of vinager. Add red chilli powder, i use about 6 table spoons. Then add at least 1 tablespoon of cumin. Mix well use rubber gloves or you will stain your hands. My little 6 year great niece loves it.
Enjoy, i cook fried potatoes same time and mix them
Good in a burrito, or on a plate.

waksupi
07-07-2017, 11:18 PM
I'll try that. I hate the store bought stuff.

CHeatermk3
07-07-2017, 11:51 PM
Sounds like it would be good using deer meat too!

And no salt!

MaryB
07-08-2017, 10:28 PM
Well commercial chili powder has salt unless you look for no salt versions. Might have to try this, the texture of store bought it disgusting to me, and it is all fat...

I do the same with bratwurst seasoning. Take a pound of ground meat(I like beef brats) and mix in your seasoning. Let it sit in the fridge 2-3 hours to over night then make patties or stuff in casings. Same for quick Italian sausage, pound of ground pork, mix in seasoning, make patties, use to make spaghetti sauce... I bought commercial fresh sausage seasonings and figured out how many teaspoons to a pound of ground meat and wrote it on the lid of the canning jars I store it in.

Walkingwolf
07-08-2017, 10:34 PM
The Mexicans that live around here use beef tongue, it is really good.

CHeatermk3
07-08-2017, 11:07 PM
I make my own "chili powder" and there is no salt in it.

Another way to make Chili is to use the dried peppers you like--heat up in a cast iron skillet until they soften then add a little water; blenderize or food-processor then into the pot after the onions, garlic and tomatoes.

You can find them in the grocery stores that sell "Hispanic Foods" in cello bags...Grandma always had large strings of dried peppers from her garden hanging in the kitchen and more in the cellar.

mwhite49
07-08-2017, 11:19 PM
If you use the cheaper bright red chilli powder that is sold in a small bag it is better quality. It is almost sweet. I also ask the butcher to grind up a sirlion steak too with all the fat trimed off.

mwhite49
07-11-2017, 04:44 PM
I forgot, add garlic powder to taste.

Shiloh
07-18-2017, 10:08 AM
I have a coffee grinder dedicated for spices. Dried chipotles, arbole, Ancho, or combos of each, can be ground to a specific coarseness as your preference require.

Shiloh

mwhite49
07-27-2017, 01:21 AM
I never thought about using a coffee grinder for spices. I have an old one too. Unless it went out with the last cleanup. Thanks

mwhite49
07-27-2017, 01:23 AM
Yes, the dried whole red chillis can be used to but thats a bunch more work.