PDA

View Full Version : Yesterdays MVA collectors show

JSH
07-27-2008, 04:45 PM
Saw some VERY interesting straight pull rifles. All of them were of the Swiss looking/type rifles. The gent must have had about 20-25 of them. Now, here is the kicker. They were all .22 RF's. There was also a 4mm conversion. Also with that collection there was a "gizzmo" that I forget what the called it. A spring and rod looking device that went down the barrel. It actually punched a little hole in the target which is maybe about 12" past the muzzle. It was some kind of training device.

The attendence was down from what is normal. A pretty mixed up bag of stuff along with a mixed bag of folks.
I ran across a friend there. I knew he had some pretty good knowledge of Mosin Nagant rifles. I thought I would just bend his ear a little. Danged if I don't think I need one now...............
He has only shot ball type ammo and that is about it.
I come here humbled once again to ask any of you what the scoop is with them and CB's.
What is the going rate on prices? I would take one in poor cosmetic condition as long as the bore is good. The things are as ugly as a mud fence IMHO to begin with.

Wish I had some pics of the Swiss 22's as they were very interesting, sorry.
Jeff

Razor
07-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Them MN's is ugly, ain't they ??[smilie=1:
To me they ain't as ugly as they used to be.:roll:
But they do shoot good..
Kinda like a wart.. they grow on you after a while..
"cept the M39 FINN... best looking MN ever built and supposed to be great shooters.
I never kept mine long enough to properly appreciate it..Now they're TOOOO spendy.
You ought to get a real nice refurbed 91/30 for close under $150...
As for how they shoot with boolits, I can't say..I haven't got around to trying any of mine.
been too preoccupied with SMLE's and Sharps..
[smilie=w:
Razor
:castmine:

Buckshot
07-28-2008, 01:10 AM
...............I too never cared much for the Russian M-N's, and having had a 01 FFL from 1980 to 2000 I was in the midst of the 2nd Golden Age of the Milsurp (after 1986). There were several different kinds of the Mosin Nagant with some being HIGHLY desireable these days. Yet they all looked alike to me so I just passed them by in favor of Mausers and such.

I suppose it is 15-16 years ago now that I was ordering some stuff from SOG and the helpfull salesbeing mentioned they had some M91/30's on sale for $39 each. What the heck. For another $40 and a couple more for shipping I'd go ahead and get something I didn't have, just to me different. It was in great shape externally and was a Finn pickup with the fingergrooved re-done stock. It was also counterbored and I could never get it to shoot.

Years passed and I'd read about people who just loved their Russian rifles. By this time my FFL had died. Big 5 sporting goods was selling them as arsenal refurbished with bayonet, sling and some other stuff for $89. I bought one and danged if the thing didn't shoot REALLY well! So now I have the original one bought about 1994, plus 3 more M91/30's and a M44.

Like any other rifle if it has a good barrel and you feed it what it wants they'll sure shoot. SIghts are also not bad. The triggers suck big time, but there are fixes for that. Due to their magazine interupter and straight line feeding, they feed slick and easy.

................Buckshot