PDA

View Full Version : Ruger GP 100 44 special question

FISH4BUGS
07-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Neat gun - like a J frame on steroids in 44 special.
I am trying to break it down to clean it but i cannot get the trigger assembly to let go of the frame. That little thingie that holds the trigger assembly to the frame will NOT depress to release the trigger assembly.
I have tried EVERYTHING but it won't move. I have tried even a screwdriver to depress it but no go.
Is there some secret to making that little lever release? Do I push up, down, sideways or use explosives?
After about 400 rounds of H&G #503 with 5.5gr WW231 the gun is pretty cruddy.
HELP!

Ickisrulz
07-07-2017, 11:25 AM
There's a guy that makes a tool to press this button called a "popper."

I just use a screwdriver that has the tip cut off. The first few times you have to push pretty hard.

reddog81
07-07-2017, 11:29 AM
If explosives don't work for you I'd try an appropriate sized punch and a rubber mallet.

rintinglen
07-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Put the gun in a vise and rap that plunger with a punch, then push in with the punch and pull out on the trigger guard. Sometimes it seems as though that plunger "takes a set" and can be a real booger to move. Once you get it started though, it should be no great task to depress it. A little Kroil or other quality penetrating oil might be of assistance. My SP 101 327 had the same issue and was resolved in this way. When you get it out of the frame, after removing the pin that retains the offending plunger and taking out the plunger and its spring, run a tight fitting drill bit into the plunger recess by hand and twirl the drill a few times just to dislodge any manufacturing burrs that may be present. It may help in future attempts at disassembly.

jrayborn
07-07-2017, 12:55 PM
My experience is that when assembled, the trigger assembly is "pressed" (gently I am sure) into place and often the plunger is set into position across a burr. Since the plunger pushed the burr in one direction it now acts as a mechanical lock when trying to move it in the opposite or "remove" direction.

Rintinglen has the solution I also use. Barrel in a padded vice tight, punch and brass hammer to drive the plunger in and at the same time trying to pull the trigger group out. Helps to have a teenager around to help...

De-burr the plunger area after you get it out and it helps both assemble and disassembly for next time.

Jon

clum553946
07-07-2017, 03:15 PM
If explosives don't work for you I'd try an appropriate sized punch and a rubber mallet.

I use a punch as well. It seems to get easier the more times you do it!

FISH4BUGS
07-07-2017, 03:30 PM
It looks like the punch and mallet is the way to go. I'll try that over the weekend.
Thanks for the all the input.
Donald

Geezer in NH
07-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Be glad it did not lock up like the early security sixes did with live ones in the cylinder.

shoot-n-lead
07-09-2017, 06:31 PM
Be glad it did not lock up like the early security sixes did with live ones in the cylinder.

Yeah, just like my last 2 Vaquero's did...almost never got the cylinder out of either to unload them, so that I could return them for service.

Petrol & Powder
07-09-2017, 07:28 PM
rintinglen has the right idea.

I can usually get the stubborn ones apart without resorting to putting the gun in a padded vise but that does free up one hand.