PDA

View Full Version : Light strikes with S&W 14-2

The Governor
07-05-2017, 08:13 PM
I cured it with a spent primer on the tension screw.

Now, I want to get new springs and I'm wondering if Wolf, Wilson or Jerry M. springs are
my best choice.
Any input? thanks a million.

Hickory
07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
A friend had a S&W 19 that started to give light firing pin strikes, he brought to me and asked me to look at it.
It was pretty dirty and had a gummy feel to it. I took it apart and cleaned the dried grease out of the action and oiled it with 2-3 drops of oil and it was like new.
I don't know if this is your situation, but worth checking out.

The Governor
07-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Already did the clean and lube. I bought an old, hardly used gun and had a few issues with light strikes.

Spent primer on the tension screw cured it 100%.

Now, I'd like a real fix. I mean, it's $20 and a half hour of work but I just want the best option.

tazman
07-05-2017, 09:13 PM
A lot of the older model 14 or K38 revolvers had the tension screw ground down to help lighten the trigger pull. Often enough this caused light hammer strikes fairly quickly as things got worn or dirty.
It's best to leave the screw full length unless you are willing to put up with the possibility of misfires. Replacement screws are easy enough to come by and not particularly expensive.
If you really like the lighter trigger pull, then use Federal primers in your reloads as they seem to be the easiest to set off.
Personally, I leave my hammer springs at full power and just learn proper trigger control.

The Governor
07-05-2017, 09:32 PM
OK, I'll get the Wolf full power hammer and try the middle strength rebound.

I really don't think the tension screw has been ground.

What i'm doing is bringing all my fire arms up to 100% or as close as i can get them.

knifemaker
07-05-2017, 10:01 PM
Wolf has a very good reputation for making quality springs. Your old spring has probably taken a set and has lost some power because of that. Getting the middle strength trigger rebound spring is a good idea to decrease trigger pull, but still have reliable reset on the trigger. The S&W trigger rebound springs have always been stronger then they need to be for reliable function and added pounds to the trigger pull.

Outpost75
07-05-2017, 10:13 PM
I would measure the strain screw and compare with a new one. You should have a spare in the gun box anyway.

The Governor
07-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Yeah. When it comes to K- frame replacement springs, there's Wolf, Wilson and Jerry M.

Jerry M. has a trigger finger like Superman's and Wilson is nowhere near as popular as Wolf when it comes to springs.

M-Tecs
07-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Not that many spring manufactures. The Wilson and Jerry M springs may be manufactured by Wolff??????? They will be contracted from a spring manufacture like Wolff.

tazman
07-06-2017, 08:47 AM
OK, I'll get the Wolf full power hammer and try the middle strength rebound.

I really don't think the tension screw has been ground.

What i'm doing is bringing all my fire arms up to 100% or as close as i can get them.

That sounds like an excellent plan to me.