PDA

View Full Version : Rigby at the Buffalo match again

Buckshot
07-27-2008, 02:50 AM
.............I used the Rigby muzzle loader in our buffalo match again this month, and probably will next month too. Last outing it was embarasssing as I had 3 missfires on the line for score shots. Each time I had to leave the line to pull the nipple, pour in some 4Fg and replace the nipple. I just KNEW those other shooters were getting tired of that!

I figured I hadn't cleaned down into the paptent breech as well as I should have, so had given it a complete and very thorough cleaning. This time I didn't have a single problem in ignition. I only knocked over 3 buffalo of the 6 for score. My first sighter from a clean barrel was called a couple inches high over his back. My first REAL sighter after that was a miss the spotter said he'd have needed dial calipers to measure it was so close.

I figured I'd just hold a bit low rather then lower the tang sight. The load was 85.0grs Elephant 2Fg, lubed 1/8" felt wad (bore wiped to the wad) and a 530gr paper patched swaged cup based slug. The patch was lubed with Wonder Lube. I don't lube the slug and load it until the guy in front of me is getting ready to shoot as I don't like to hold it in the bore very long.

My personal best with this rifle so far has been 4 out of the 6 buffalo. This time I got 3. Just like my sighters, my first 2 score rounds barely skimmed over the hump. Jon K said if he was me he'd make the sight adjustment, so I broke down and did. My next 3 shots were all solid hits in the hump. I probably could have lowered the tang sight another couple seconds.

Had a couple guys remark that the shot sure 'cracks'. I don't ever recall clocking it so I do't know what it's doing velocity wise. I do know the buff goes over in a big hurry when hit! My last shot was a messup on my part. Even though I saw the front blade drift off a but right, my finger pulled the trigger anyway. So my 4th possible hit sailed just over the butt. It was great fun regardless.

................Buckshot

dromia
07-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Good going Buckshot, there is an old and true lesson there that I am sometimes tempted to forget. If the sight moves, move it. Its what its there for and is more accurate than aim off.

My excuse is being brought up on fixed sight guns where the targets were live and moving, aim off was obilgatory then. Thats more a shotgunners approach to sighting than a target shooters. :-D

Meatco1
07-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I would hate to tell, just how many times I've pulled the trigger knowing I was slightly off target. Don't have a clue how that happens, but you know when you do it!!

Richard

frontier gander
07-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Sounds fun.

What can you Sharps guys tell me about the I.A.B Sharps in 54cal? The one i am looking at uses loose powder.

waksupi
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Sounds fun.

What can you Sharps guys tell me about the I.A.B Sharps in 54cal? The one i am looking at uses loose powder.

Those are known as Leverites. Leave 'er right where ya found it!

Buckshot
07-28-2008, 01:42 AM
I would hate to tell, just how many times I've pulled the trigger knowing I was slightly off target. Don't have a clue how that happens, but you know when you do it!!

Richard

............Richard, that thing between a person's ears is truly an amazing instrument. However at times it will also betray you by acting on it's own, such as telling your finger to pull the trigger when your eyeballs just watched the front sight drift off. I call it a BFD, which is a "Brain, Finger Disconnect".

In elementary school, called to the floor for not having done your homework, and then asked why, the brain can defy the passage of time. Before you can even look down at the toes of your Keds sneakers, your brain has pulled up every excuse you're ever heard for not having done yor homework. Not only that, it has discarded those you've used before, weighed those used by others and viewed the teachers response, noted the teachers' frame of mind at the time for each, and her current apparent attitude.

At this juncture the brain has also been operating in a secondary mode in the background, running the pros and cons of just telling the truth, while also running various home movie scenarios of you and your parents should she send a note home about you're not having done your homework. In one final flurry before making your profound excuse, your brain has also sorted through several possible actions you might take, like running away from home.

All this takes place in a nanosecond and a half. Yet in shooting your eyes see the sight drift off, you have time to think, "Crap" and thinking you'll have to swing it back, but instead your finger pulls the trigger. Where did THAT come from? :-)

.....................Buckshot

RBak
07-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Now that was funny! Funny, but with a lot of truth.
Buckshot, Ya missed yer calling. Ya should have been a brain surgeon!:drinks:

Russ..

idahoron
07-29-2008, 08:23 PM
How far were the shots and how big was the targets? Thanks Ron

Buckshot
07-30-2008, 01:49 AM
How far were the shots and how big was the targets? Thanks Ron

..............They're shot at 200 meters and I don't know how big they are as I've never walked out an looked at one. They look plenty small through the sights :-). Maybe as big as a medium sized dog? A couple months back they had 6 or 7 guys knock over all 6, but usually it's somewhere between 2 and 4 making possibles.

.................Buckshot

idahoron
07-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I would LOVE to do that with any one of my Renegades. I wish we had shoots like that. Ron

KCSO
07-30-2008, 09:41 PM
IAB "Is awfully bad"

'Nuff Said

Buckshot
07-31-2008, 03:26 AM
http://www.fototime.com/062213606AF62B5/standard.jpg

You can't see the targets because the far post is in the way. To the right is a paper target at 50. There is an $11 fee to shoot the match. Six of that goes to the range, so ater the match you can shoot all day if you want. The $5 left is used to pay prizes down to 4th place. Depending upon how many are shooting I've seen 1st place take $45. There will generally be between 20 and 30 shooters.

I'm also very happy to see several youngsters shooting. One young man who looked to be maybe 12-13 shooting a #2 Rem RB in 44-40. His dad said it will knock a buff over if it hits high. However they were counting his 'Clangs' too and he got 4 of'em. Midrange trajectory must be about 12 feet :-)

...............Buckshot