PDA

View Full Version : Couple of hours out at the range, with the kids.

ktw
07-26-2008, 10:14 PM
The kids and I have been spending some time at the range intermittently this summer, shooting 1/5th scale metallic silhouette targets with a 22lr from the bench.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/range1.jpg

I had set them up with a little Contender Carbine for this. The results were mixed. They liked it back when it had a red dot scope on it. They like it less when I swapped the red dot out with a 1-5x20 scope (range of usable eye relief tightened up). They always found it somewhat difficult to open, even with an easy open frame.

They are a bit bigger now and last weekend I broke down and let them try one of my 22's; an Anschutz 164 Sporter that I bought 30 years ago and still use occasionally as a squirrel/smallbore metallic silhouette gun. It was a big hit and a big mistake on my part. They lost all interest in the Contender. This weekend they were fighting over whose turn it was to shoot the Anschutz and bugging me about maybe I had another gun they could try.

The only other 22 rifle I own is a Miroku 1885 Low Wall with tang peep/hooded globe front sights. I reluctantly broke it out thinking they were going to loose interest fast once they found out how much more difficult it was going to be without a scope.

Low and behold, daughter #1 turns out to be a holy terror with that rifle. She shoots the peeps as well or better than the scoped guns and absolutely loves this rifle. At one point one of them just clipped a turkey target at 40 yards turning it edgewise to the bench. Daughter #1 nonchalantly takes it off the rail, edge on, with the low wall. Oh, to have 11 year old eyes again.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g232/ktwna/range3.jpg

Anyway, I lost two of my favorite rifles recently, each claimed by a different daughter. The only thing they are willing to let me shoot anymore is their old Contender Carbine. I think I will put a full sized stock back on it and be happy with that. And we are going to have to start moving the targets out beyond 50 yards in the future because they have been clearing those in no time flat lately.

-ktw

TCLouis
07-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Losing a rifle to a young daughter that likes to go to the range with "Dad" and shoot!

Your chance for instilling lots of thoughts and ideas, and being able to let them know how important they are to you and that you will always . . . ALWAYS be there for them to talk to!

Razor
07-26-2008, 11:26 PM
and I'll bet you were grinning bigger than they were.....

Way to go !

Razor

Frank46
07-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Ken, have a buddy that mentors air rifle shooters. Was shooting the breeze with him one day and mentioned I had a couple 22 target rifles. Brought both to the range where they were shooting. The smaller shooters got the 513T and the dads got the
H&R model 12. Big mistake. No further air rifle shooting that day for anyone. They kept going until I ran outta ammo. A good time was had by all. Frank

Southern Son
07-27-2008, 03:28 AM
When I lived in Cairns I shot on the Wangetti Beach Range with a bloke who would bring his 9 year old Daughter out. She use to sit down and shoot the match with her dads rifle after he had shot. They got there late one day and there was only one relay left so while her dad shot, I loaned the girl my 1411 rifle and she shot with me supervising her. It was a Benchrest match for score type of thing. It did not go over very well with some wowsers when she won the match. Her dad was about to burst. Apart from comming second to a 9 year old who I coached, I had a pretty good day, too.

theperfessor
07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
ktw -

I think all of us would be willing to "lose a favorite rifle" if it meant getting kids into having fun shooting. Good going, buddy! You'll all have those memories forever.

ktw
07-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Maybe since I am suddenly short on rifles I could justify going out and shopping for a new one. A guy with three 22 rifles, hardly needs another. But a guy with only one is starting to sound a little short on iron. :-D

-ktw

Wayne Smith
07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Maybe since I am suddenly short on rifles I could justify going out and shopping for a new one. A guy with three 22 rifles, hardly needs another. But a guy with only one is starting to sound a little short on iron. :-D

-ktw

AMEN to that!