PDA

View Full Version : which sharps rifle considering rim thickness in 44-77

ehsa
07-03-2017, 10:19 AM
i was thinking about either a shiloh or c.sharps arms rifle in 44-77.i see that there is several different rim size thickness for the caliber. jamison when i called the other day said they had them in .080. the thing is c.sharps arms rifle is made with a thinner rim recess and shiloh will take the thicker one.with that thought shiloh seems to be the better choice because it would take thinner or thicker rims. is my thinking correct on that or would it matter.i believe once fireformed it will headspace on the shoulder anyway.just worried with the c.sharps arms rifle the brass would be harder to come by and couldnt use the .080 from jamison.john

marlinman93
07-03-2017, 10:54 AM
If a gun's chamber is cut for a thick rim, you better not be shooting thin rimmed brass in it. That's a case of excess headspace, and not good for brass or gun. Decide which you want and stick with the one rim thickness.

Don McDowell
07-03-2017, 02:51 PM
You may want to double check with C Sharps. They have modified their chambers to take the Jamison brass in both 44-77 and 40-70 ss. I know a number of folks that are shooting CSA rifles in 44-77 and getting along just fine with the Jamison/Captec brass.

ehsa
07-03-2017, 03:28 PM
You may want to double check with C Sharps. They have modified their chambers to take the Jamison brass in both 44-77 and 40-70 ss. I know a number of folks that are shooting CSA rifles in 44-77 and getting along just fine with the Jamison/Captec brass. don thank you so much for that information.i will give them a call after the 4th. john

Don McDowell
07-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Glad to help. The 44-77 is a good cartridge.