PDA

View Full Version : The Remington 788

Petrol & Powder
07-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Recently there was a discussion here about a Remington 788 chambered in 7mm-08.
That thread got me thinking about the 788 and I decided it was worth its own thread.

The 788 was Remington's *economy* bolt action, centerfire rifle from the late 1960's well into the mid 1980's.
Like a lot of American made economy rifles, people seem to love them or hate them and there's not a lot of middle ground.

The people that are in the pro- 788 camp tend to speak of the rifle's excellent value, excellent accuracy, strong receiver and general utility.

The people in the con-788 camp tend to cite the weak bolt handle to bolt attachment, expensive and hard to find magazine, bolt body compression (due to the rear locking lugs) and general cheap materials.

Like most things in life, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
There's more than a little Model 700 snobbery involved with the anti-788 crowd but some of the criticism is founded in reality.

Like the Savage 110 series, the 788 comes in at a lower price point and is a very serviceable rifle. It some ways, it may be a far better utility rifle or "truck" gun than its more expensive siblings.

One thing I could never understand was Remington's decision to go with the 9 lug, rear locking bolt on an economy rifle?
Those multiple lugs and corresponding locking recesses must have been expensive to machine. It always reminds me of a Weatherby 9 lug bolt except the lugs are on the rear of the Remington bolt. Critics claim there's no way all 9 lugs can be seated against the shoulders in the receiver at the moment of firing and I suspect they're right. However, considering the accuracy displayed by most 788's, it must not be an issue. I've always assumed that one row of lugs would solidly seat when the bolt was closed and were strong enough to withstand the forces involved. The remaining 6 lugs are likely redundant and serve as safeties. That's pure speculation on my part.

In any event, the 788 was one of those American firearms that hit a price point and filled a market segment.

What say you?

07-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Can't disagree anywhere in your proffer. Market forces rule.

Jack Stanley
07-03-2017, 09:42 AM
My first 788 was a .308 left hand , the choice to get it was because Remington at the time did not offer the 700 in left hand in that chambering .

I wasn't disappointed in the rifle in any way and yes I did manage to snap the bolt handle ....... once . My gunsmith knew an excellent welder who put it back on without softening the lugs . It shot as well as I could hold it and never had any other problems . Even finding magazines was easy , because back then they were making magazines too . Today is a different story but like any other removable magazine it's best not to lose it .

As for the locking lugs bearing evenly , of the two rifles I have left . I see five to seven lugs bearing solidly enough that I'm not worried . If I was going to re-barrel either one even that would not be a problem .

I would have been happy to get a 700 back then but Remington did not offer the left hand in .308 until the nineties and then I did buy one . Personally , I don't think it shoots any better than the 788 did and the stock is less comfortable in handling recoil . One thing that stopped me from breaking the handle on the other four 788 rifles I had was , if the bolt doesn't close easy , don't force it .

I still have my .223 and .30 WCF 788's and they are fun and useful . If I ever need parts as I did for the 30WCF I call Jack First and see if they have or can make parts .

Jack

Markopolo
07-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I sure like my 788... it is rarely in the safety of the "safe" ... I grab it and go and it hasn't let me down... so far the bolt handle has not been an issue. And I love how short the entire rife is.. easy to maneuver in tight brushy stuff, and accuracy if awesome for my short range shots in heavy brush and timber.. I have never tried to shoot past 100 yards with it though, as there is no clear ground around here that is more then 100...

williamwaco
07-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Everyone I have ever known who actually owned one loved it.

I tried for years to buy one in 30-30 but never could.

leadhead
07-03-2017, 12:36 PM
I bought one in 22/250 probably in the mid 60's. Paid $85.00 for it brand new
and I've had more fun with it than any other rifle I've owned.
Killing groundhogs at 400 yds was no problem as long as the wind wasn't
blowing. Wish they still made them. They put a hurt'in on the sales of the M700.
Denny

Petrol & Powder
07-03-2017, 12:44 PM
Everyone I have ever known who actually owned one loved it.

/\ Pretty much what I've run across.

arlon
07-03-2017, 10:03 PM
I've had three of them over the years. One each in .222 and 30-30, both sold years ago to fund a boat. They were both great fun guns to shoot. Now I have that nifty little 7mm-08 that I have not fired. I'm still on the ropes as to where to go with it. It's in great shape and doesn't look like it has a box of bullets through it but I haven't decided yet if I want to invest in brass, molds and dies for 7mm-08. I've been trying to cut back on quantity and focus more on quality, this gun doesn't really fit that plan.

I love the way this one feels in hand. I've never owned anything with this short of a barrel (excluding the M1 Carbine). I'm into it cheap so maybe dies and such aren't so bad on the wallet. (-:}

10 ga
07-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Got my 1 and only 788 in 1979, used, .222, currently sitting idle as it has had a great life and accounted for many species and numbers of critters. Due to barrel/throat/muzzle wear it needs rebarreling. I'm in a different shooting regimen now and will probably have Jeff Hankins install a 45 Brux SML barrel and HIS ignition system. Should make a great shooter for bench or hunting depending on whatever stock I put on it. Yeah, another project, soon I'll have lead and stuff to sell for some financing. Happy 4th to all! 10

Petrol & Powder
07-03-2017, 11:27 PM
arlon, I would suggest buying a couple boxes of factory ammo and get a few different bullet weights. See what your rifle likes. Then if you want to get dies you'll have some brass and know which bullet weight to start with.

The 7mm-08 is a great cartridge

tazman
07-03-2017, 11:50 PM
I had one back in the late 70s in 222. It shot well enough but was prone to severe impact point shifts with even a small load change. I'm talking up to 6 inches sideways at 100 yards.
I traded it for a Winchester 70 in 22-250. I don't have it anymore either.

beemer
07-04-2017, 01:34 AM
I had four, 222, 223, 22-250 and 243. All of them shot very well, the one I should have kept was the 243 Win. It was a very early walnut stocked one. I sold it and kept a 270 Win. The 243 would have served me better for a varmint-deer rifle. I sold it in 1978,he still has it and has never fired it and it's not for sale.

Dave

woodbutcher
07-04-2017, 01:40 AM
:) Way back when they first came out,I wanted one in .223.Could`nt find one,so I got .222 and had it rechambered to .223 by the Mt Dora gun shop in Mt Dora Fl.How did it shoot?On any day it would stack 20 rounds in 11/16 to 3/4" at 100 yds off of a sand bag.
K4 Weaver duplex cross hairs and acra glass bedded.Still kicking myself for having to sell it.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Themoose
07-04-2017, 05:38 AM
I'm lucky enough to have one in 44 mag. Killed several deer in IN where it is legal. Prefer it over Ruger 77/44.

GhostHawk
07-04-2017, 07:51 AM
I had one, incredibly accurate rifle. Mine was in .243 win. My main load was 30 grains of dupont 3031 under a 60 gr Hornady BT hollow point.

My favorite game was busting crows at over 200 yards. Crows got so they would not play. They saw my truck then went to one of the 3 of 4 spots where it was a mile walk with no road access to get a shot at them. And they would sit there and sulk and scream at me until I gave up and went home.

I had busted too many of them at 300 to 400 yards. They were not playing that game anymore.

My mistake was allowing my big heart to try to help a vet who was down and out.

And he got busted shining a deer with my rifles. And he did not tell me so that I could buy my own rifle back.

And there is a particularly nasty corner of hell waiting for him I suspect.

Yes if you jammed the bolt, and if you beat on the bolt handle with a 2 x 4 you could knock the bolt handle off.

The way to avoid that was to not overload it and jam the bolt.

Any tool will have its distinquishing characteristics. That one was better than most.

Wish I had not been a fool and let a fool borrow my prized rifle.

Cost of higher education is not cheap.

NSB
07-04-2017, 09:24 AM
I have to agree with almost everyone so far.....probably the best "bargain rifle" of all time. I had a couple and they were not only durable, but very accurate. Also a bit homely, but hey, beauty is only skin deep.:)

Texas by God
07-05-2017, 03:00 PM
My Tikkas Remind me of all the 788s I've owned- stiff receiver, 3 shot mag, small ejection port, stunning accuracy. I like the Tikka's light weight better!

EDG
07-05-2017, 04:59 PM
Uninformed critics often ruin a subject by bad mouthing an item they do not understand. The 788 bolts and receivers were designed to be manufactured on automatic screw machines. The 788 bolt could be turned complete less the cocking notch, gaps between the lug banks and the handle using a screw machine without the operator attending the machine. The same pretty much goes for the receiver. It did not really matter that there were 9 lugs or 3 lugs, the machine tool could cut the extra lugs in maybe 5 to 10 seconds. So what if they did not all seat? In many 2 lug Mauser type rifles only 1 lug takes the load. The critics never say much about that. The safety lug on the 98 Mauser did/does not bear either. On the Model 70 and 700 the bolt handle formed the safety lug and the bolt handle does not bear on those rifles.
I bet the same expert critics never looked at a large sample of M70 Win or M700 Rems.
I have had a number of 788 rifles. Most had at least 6 lugs bearing. One had 9 lugs bearing. I am sure that with some more use they would have all had all 9 lugs bearing. With my 788s the action was never an issue.
Remington could have given the 788 a good boost by chambering it for the .223 Rem from the beginning. The .250 Savage and .35 Rem would have been useful rounds too.

Recently there was a discussion here about a Remington 788 chambered in 7mm-08.
That thread got me thinking about the 788 and I decided it was worth its own thread.

The 788 was Remington's *economy* bolt action, centerfire rifle from the late 1960's well into the mid 1980's.
Like a lot of American made economy rifles, people seem to love them or hate them and there's not a lot of middle ground.

The people that are in the pro- 788 camp tend to speak of the rifle's excellent value, excellent accuracy, strong receiver and general utility.

The people in the con-788 camp tend to cite the weak bolt handle to bolt attachment, expensive and hard to find magazine, bolt body compression (due to the rear locking lugs) and general cheap materials.

Like most things in life, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.
There's more than a little Model 700 snobbery involved with the anti-788 crowd but some of the criticism is founded in reality.

Like the Savage 110 series, the 788 comes in at a lower price point and is a very serviceable rifle. It some ways, it may be a far better utility rifle or "truck" gun than its more expensive siblings.

One thing I could never understand was Remington's decision to go with the 9 lug, rear locking bolt on an economy rifle?
Those multiple lugs and corresponding locking recesses must have been expensive to machine. It always reminds me of a Weatherby 9 lug bolt except the lugs are on the rear of the Remington bolt. Critics claim there's no way all 9 lugs can be seated against the shoulders in the receiver at the moment of firing and I suspect they're right. However, considering the accuracy displayed by most 788's, it must not be an issue. I've always assumed that one row of lugs would solidly seat when the bolt was closed and were strong enough to withstand the forces involved. The remaining 6 lugs are likely redundant and serve as safeties. That's pure speculation on my part.

In any event, the 788 was one of those American firearms that hit a price point and filled a market segment.

What say you?

rintinglen
07-05-2017, 05:05 PM
TEx, if the Tikka was as inexpensive as the 788, I'd join you. I have to join the crowd of mourners who let a fine rifle go for one reason or another. Mine was a .243 which shot wonderfully well, but I got married, had a baby with a 3000 dollar deductible and it went down the highway along with several other guns I wish I had kept. I never broke mine, nor did I have to buy a magazine, but I ran hundreds of 70 grain bullets down range. It liked 3031.

358 Win
07-05-2017, 05:14 PM
I bought two 788's upon my discharge from the USN in 1973. A .308 Win and 6mm Rem, both of which I still own and would not part with. I've won a pick-up truck load of cash with the 6mm shooting bench rest competitions and running deer shoots. Only ever killed one deer with the 6mm but it dropped instantly. I would have to check my log book for the number of deer I have killed with the .308 Win but it is a bunch. My 788's are not fancy or pretty, but they always shot super small groups and killed deer, no matter the weather conditions or temperature.

358 Win

Petrol & Powder
07-05-2017, 08:36 PM
My Tikkas Remind me of all the 788s I've owned- stiff receiver, 3 shot mag, small ejection port, stunning accuracy. I like the Tikka's light weight better!
SAKO was one of the manufactures that made true medium length actions and they made damn good ones.

waco
07-05-2017, 08:59 PM
My 788 is in .308
Besides shooting jacketed bullets well, it loves the NOE 30 Hunter. A 190gr PB boolit over 10.5gr Redot199209

Treetop
07-05-2017, 09:58 PM
My first centerfire rifle that I ever bought "brand new" was a LH 788 in .308 Win. I bought it at a now defunct store, Sporting Goods Inc. in Houston Tx. I paid $79.95 + tax for it in 1972.

I still have it, in fact, no kidding, I shot it yesterday as part of my July 4th festivities. I was shooting 15 gr. of Blue Dot behind a 151 gr. Lee sized to .311. and a 311291 with 13 gr. of Red Dot.

Sometime in the late 80s, I picked up a twin to it at a local gun show. It appeared to be unfired and I gladly forked over $100 for it. I have shot it just enough to confirm it's accuracy and it didn't disappoint!

My original one has taken countless of our smallish central Texas deer and hogs, mostly with cast boolits. Over the years, I have glass bedded the old gum wood (?) stock and replaced the stock trigger with a Timney. I haven't found a J word or cast boolit yet that it doesn't like. One of the few smart things that I've done was to pick up several extra magazines while they were < $10 each. However I'm still waiting for the originals to go bad! I have never had a bolt handle come off but then, even with J words I never got close to max loads.

My two are not for sale! Semper Fi, Treetop

Texas by God
07-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Rentinglen- I think they're getting closer all the time. I've seen $500 Tikkas and $500 788s at the same gun show.

Texas by God
07-05-2017, 11:59 PM
SAKO was one of the manufactures that made true medium length actions and they made damn good ones.

We have one in .250 Savage that started out as a round top Browning Safari with the stepped pencil barrel. ER Shaw rebarreled it right. It will shoot lightest&fastest and heaviest&slowest into the same group. Sorry I drifted away there for a second. Some days I get to missing 788s. I let the last one go last year- a.243. I've always thought Remington should have chambered the.35 Rem in the 788. The .358 would have been welcome and would have become popular.
Best, Thomas.

bstone5
07-06-2017, 02:05 AM
I went to Sporting Goods Inc a lot when I first moved to Houston, bought my first 788 at Carters Country on I-10 in 243. Both of my sons killed their first deer with this rifle. I purchased several 788 rifles when they were cheap. A very accurate rifle at a good price. I still have a 788 rifle in 308 that has had a new flutted barrel installed. Shot this rifle in High Power matches for many years once the magazines were lengthened to hold 5 rounds. The bolt handle broke off and was TIG welded on with steel. The original handle was brased on and did not hold up in the rapid fire portions of High Power matches.
Still shot this rifle with cast and paper patch bullets.

richhodg66
07-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Count me as a fan, have owned several over the years, just one now a 6mm.

I'll never get rid of the 6mm. Crazy accurate rifle.

I am generally not a fan of Remington products, but have a strong like for the 788 and also the 721/722 series of rifles.

Four Fingers of Death
07-07-2017, 04:12 AM
the old gum wood (?) stock

Mine are pallet wood I think, but they shoot great. I have a 222Rem and a 22/250. I would love a 308Win as a cast boolit launcher! They always seem to bring about $AU450 in good condition here, which is about $100 cheaper than the new economy rifles. the 222 and 22/250 seem to be the most common here. The only other calibres I have seen here are 243s and one 7/08 that a friend owned.

Texas by God
07-08-2017, 08:32 AM
Other than the early walnut ones, The 788s had birch stocks that were very tough & stable. Many refinished ones are probably nicknamed "old yeller"......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

Four Fingers of Death
07-08-2017, 08:58 AM
I really like the shape of the stock and forend.

charlie b
07-08-2017, 05:59 PM
I had one in 7mm-08 back in the 80's. It was very accurate. The factory loads in those days came out with the primers completely flat! Only put a 1000 or so rounds through it, mostly near max with Sierra bullets. Would shoot better than 1" with almost any load. I was going to lap the lugs but when I looked 7 of 9 were in contact. Never had trouble with bolt handle but never did any fast action work. All my cases were neck sized and never had a problem with chambering a round.

Good functional weapon.

arlon
07-08-2017, 08:16 PM
I had one in 7mm-08 back in the 80's. It was very accurate. The factory loads in those days came out with the primers completely flat! Only put a 1000 or so rounds through it, mostly near max with Sierra bullets. Would shoot better than 1" with almost any load. I was going to lap the lugs but when I looked 7 of 9 were in contact. Never had trouble with bolt handle but never did any fast action work. All my cases were neck sized and never had a problem with chambering a round.

Good functional weapon.

You sure making me want to invest some time in the 7mm-08 I recently acquired.. I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet unless you manage to break a bolt handle. It DOES seem like it might make for a decent cast bullet plinker..

shoot-n-lead
07-08-2017, 08:41 PM
You sure making me want to invest some time in the 7mm-08 I recently acquired.. I haven't heard a bad thing about them yet unless you manage to break a bolt handle. It DOES seem like it might make for a decent cast bullet plinker..

Well...I will give you a negative...THEY ARE HEAVY.

arlon
07-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Well...I will give you a negative...THEY ARE HEAVY.
Heavy compared to what? Mine is heavier than the 722 I think. Not as heavy as a lot of things I have owned. I've never owned anything with a plastic stock or pencil thin barrel. I like a little weight for for shooting off hand. Might be more of an issue if I was a hunter hauling it for miles. From the trunk firing line, it shouldn't be too much of a burden. (-:}

Texas by God
07-08-2017, 09:26 PM
In my youthful wisdom I lightened my 24" 22-250 by cutting off 4" of the barrel. It still grouped the same and was handier. I didn't own a chronograph so I didn't worry about velocity. Today I would leave it 24"!

shoot-n-lead
07-08-2017, 09:38 PM
Heavy compared to what? Mine is heavier than the 722 I think. Not as heavy as a lot of things I have owned. I've never owned anything with a plastic stock or pencil thin barrel. I like a little weight for for shooting off hand. Might be more of an issue if I was a hunter hauling it for miles. From the trunk firing line, it shouldn't be too much of a burden. (-:}

It is heavy compared to most off the shelf, woodstocked, standard hunting rifles...you name which.

Multigunner
07-08-2017, 11:47 PM
The lugs may be hand lapped to bear evenly.
Had a .243 788 in the early seventies. Traded it for a Volkswagon beetle engine. Had planned to buy another in .308 but they quit making them before I got around to it. I had assumed they'd be making these from then on, but apparently Remington had a different idea.

Four Fingers of Death
07-09-2017, 06:04 AM
I was in a friend's gunshop in Sydney when the Remington rep was there explaining why they discontinued them. He said that he had been told it was not economically viable to produce two lines of rifles and the 788 was just undermining sales of the 700 Remington.

They are heavy compared to most modern sporters, but they were just a standard weight sporter whn they were being sold.

Texas by God
07-11-2017, 09:24 AM
I have owned a dozen 788s- the only problem I ever had was weight and you have to trim cases more often if you're using max loads. Maybe the rear locking- I can't say. Otherwise good to go!

Texas by God
07-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Oh I forgot to mention the broken bolt handle thing because I never saw or heard of it before joining this forum. I guess I was lucky because I remember having to kick my bolt open a couple of times in 100 degree weather with my teenage super duper 22-250 crow loads!

Four Fingers of Death
07-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Nothing like vaporising crows with a 220Swift or a 22/250!

dbosman
07-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Mine was a .223. Sold it. Wish I hadn't. Ah, well.

Texas by God
07-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Truth, Four Fingers.
One of my favorites in 22-250 was the Hornady SuperExplosive bullet loaded as fast as IMR 4320 would push them without the bullet coming apart. It was like shooting a black feather pillow..... I too lament letting that first 788 go!
I killed my second buck with that gun.
Of course my first fell to a borrowed Marlin 30-30.
They died instantly.

Four Fingers of Death
07-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Truth, Four Fingers.
One of my favorites in 22-250 was the Hornady SuperExplosive bullet loaded as fast as IMR 4320 would push them without the bullet coming apart. It was like shooting a black feather pillow.

I've only recently got into the 22/250, my original crow vaporiser was a Ruber No1B in 220Swift. I used the 52Gn Speer HP and 55Gn SP bulk buy bullets to great effect, but it's absolute fav bullet was the 63Gn Sierra, man, it loved those things and would bang them into a five shot group, al touching at 100yds. I sold it to feed and clothe children, as you do.

I just discovered a 1000 plastic imitation ammo can of 55Gn Speer SPs the other day about 2/3rds full. They were on specal in the late 80s and I bought 5,000 of them. They laid waste to lots of rabbits, foxes, roos and goats, mostly out of my 223 SAKO.

Great find. I currently have a 788 in 222Remington, a Ruger American Compact and a T3 Hunter in 223, a 788 and a Remington 700 big varmint rig (A rifle I didn't want, but took it to rescue a mate) in 22/250. Crow busting time! I think that there is a Winchester Model 70 XTR push feed in 22/250 buried in a safe somewhere as well.

white eagle
07-13-2017, 10:50 AM
I had a 788 in 6mm for my first rifle for deer hunting
being a smart kid it eventually slipped through my hands
but thanks to the forum here I found a 788 in 6mm on S/S
and bought it immediately-It won't happen twice me letting it get away

Scorpion8
07-13-2017, 11:20 AM
What say you?

History seems to have spoken, as 788 rifles and actions are highly sought after. I have one in .308 and it's a tack driver. The only drawback I have found is that it is a heavy rifle. Magazines are still plentifully available.

charlie b
07-13-2017, 04:42 PM
I never minded the weight. But, I don't like light rifles as I can't shoot them as well, especially when standing. 10lb is good for me so the 788 is a lightweight :)

psweigle
07-13-2017, 05:13 PM
I would love to luck into a 30-30. It's the only bolt in that caliber I would want. It looks nicer than the savages.

Four Fingers of Death
07-13-2017, 07:20 PM
The 788 in 30/30 is the Holy Grail, haha. I don't know that any came to Australia, I've never seen one. It'll be quickdraw with a deposit if I ever see one, that's for sure. I have seen several old Savage 30/30s, but all had absolutely trashed barrels.

Ken in Iowa
07-14-2017, 07:58 PM
We have had several in the family over the years. No regrets with any of them.

The only one that remains is called " the New Yellow Rifle. It's a 222 with a lot of throat wear. It has accounted for hundreds of Prairie Dogs over its life.

I bought a 223 Tikka for my son as a combo varmint/hog/ light deer rifle. There are a lot of parallels with the old 788 in 22/250, 243 or 6 mm.

izzyjoe
07-23-2017, 10:00 AM
I have never owned one, my friends father had a LH 243 that was amazing as to how accurate it was! He'd shoot crows resting from a fence post in the back yard, and it was probably 300+ yards to the tree line at the back of the fields. We would stand there in amazement when he shot them, they'd drop like a rock! Always wanted one, but never found When I had the money.

Scharfschuetze
07-23-2017, 01:17 PM
I have one in 30/30 with the walnut stock. It's probably the most accurate 30/30 in my stable, but its 1 in 10" twist limits velocity to about 1850 with cast bullets for accuracy. I always thought that Remington rushed them into production and never quite finished the design. For me, used to Model 54s and Model 70s, it's a very clunky action, is not aesthetically pleasing, and has no pizazz. I can't argue with their accuracy and I guess in the end, that's the final measure of a good rifle.

Texas by God
07-23-2017, 07:11 PM
The 788 22-250 turned me into a rifle looney in 1972 when I bought a package rifle at Gibson's for $85. That was the rifle, a mounted Universal 4x scope, and a Remington leather sling. A box of Winchester Super-X shells added $5 more. I thought that was expensive so my next purchase was a Lee Loader. I would trade my Tikka T3 Hunter 22-250 for that gun's twin some days when I get misty.......
Best, Thomas.

Four Fingers of Death
07-24-2017, 06:34 AM
We have had several in the family over the years. No regrets with any of them.

The only one that remains is called " the New Yellow Rifle. It's a 222 with a lot of throat wear.

It might be worth pulling the barrel and rethreading and rechambering to remove the worn throat.

Wheelwaits
08-14-2017, 03:40 PM
I still have a 30-30 and a 44 Mag version..... Luckily I stocked up on mags..... But I redid the stocks plus.... Swivels, Recoil pads. Receiver sights... But they are shooters anyhow... I'd love to try the 44 on hogs with some 265 gr. jacked stuff. The 30-30 mag length limits what bullets you can use through it.....

Themoose
08-14-2017, 03:46 PM
Wheelwaits,

I used the speer 270gr bullet in 44 mag for my jacketed loads for whitetail...I only quit using them because they were getting hard to find and I wanted to go to cast for all my hunting rifles...

brass410
08-14-2017, 03:49 PM
243 brand new in83 still got it it stills shoots great best 300 can bucks ever spent

Wheelwaits
08-14-2017, 07:17 PM
I bought my little brother(a lefty) a LH 788 in 308... He killed a wagon load of deer with that gun... I think I paid around $90. for it...He wanted something better,,, Got him a LH 700 in 30-06.... Sold the 788 for $350 without the scope...My investments should do as well....

jerry6stl
08-22-2017, 09:07 AM
For several years I shot a Remington Model 788 chambered for .308 Winchester with cast bullets, It was very accurate. In a moment of temporary foolishness, I sold it. I wish I had it back.

Texas by God
08-22-2017, 11:41 AM
We could have a support group- "Hi- my name is Thomas and I miss my 788."

bbailey7821
08-22-2017, 02:02 PM
I still have my 22-250 from waaay back. It wears an updated scope and has an Timney trigger now, but it will still shoot the eyes out of coyote!

Big Boomer
08-23-2017, 03:56 PM
The LGS proprietor needed some fast cash and made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a Rem. 788 in .223 caliber. He threw in a scope with mounts for cash in hand. He said it was a good rifle and would stand behind it if I was not satisfied. I took the bait and coughed up the $ 200 if I recall correctly. He was right in every sense of the word. I have used several lbs of W844 behind Nosler's 52 gr. match bullets. Nosler printed right on the box these bullets came in that they were for accuracy and not to be used for varmint hunting, but they were wrong. If ever a finer varmint bullet was made, I would like to see it. Those bullets are absolutely explosive. But no matter how good the bullet, if they are not shot in a good rifle, they won't perform. I've had this Rem. 788 since the early '80s and have no plans to part with it in my lifetime. I will pass it on to my son when I am done with it. Big Boomer

sparkyv
08-25-2017, 07:58 AM
I've had my 788 in 6mmRem since late 70's and it shoots well. I would like to install a good recoil pad to absorb some recoil, but can't find one so far that fits. Has anyone found a good one to recommend? Thanks.

Texas by God
08-25-2017, 11:38 AM
I like Hogues. You won't find a pre fit for a 788. It's going to be grind to fit or slip on for choices. Limbsaver makes a great slip on that really works. I use it when bench testing rifles such as milsurps or guns of significant recoil. I bought a "pre-fit" for a Rem 870 and the fit was a little off. I feel that is common.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Four Fingers of Death
08-25-2017, 08:33 PM
I like Hogues. You won't find a pre fit for a 788. It's going to be grind to fit or slip on for choices. Limbsaver makes a great slip on that really works. I use it when bench testing rifles such as milsurps or guns of significant recoil. I bought a "pre-fit" for a Rem 870 and the fit was a little off. I feel that is common.

HaHa! That reminds me of the Larry Potterfield video on fitting a 98% finished stock, he said "there's a lot of work in that last 2%!" "And that's the way it is!"

sparkyv
08-26-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm not afraid of a little hard work, but I'd like to start with a model that is a pretty close fit to minimize the effort. Im using a slip on recoil pad now and am not satisfied. Suggestions appreciated.

Four Fingers of Death
08-26-2017, 10:42 AM
Boyd's Gunstocks list stocks for the 788:

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/FindAStock?Make=3U&Model=204&Action=93

Texas by God
08-26-2017, 11:31 AM
You'll need to measure your buttplate heel to toe and widest point and compare these measurements to the pad you like. If you call Brownell's or Midway they can probably get you close. I have dealt with Hogue directly as well for this.
It's not hard work- just messy &stinky grinding rubber. A fitting jig will help but unless you're doing several it's not worth the
$$.

Texas by God
08-26-2017, 12:13 PM
This is the Hogue I like. Soft enough to work and hard enough to take some abuse.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170826/724a626f9bf78cf9d7b11bf8ba9a7fe5.jpg

Texas by God
08-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Sparkyv- I've sent you a pm.

Four Fingers of Death
08-27-2017, 05:43 AM
The neatest thing I saw about fitting recoil pads was to use two layers of masking tape on the wood next to the pad. As you grind down, the top layer is lifted off, allowing you a bit of breathing space before you hit the stock.

sparkyv
09-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Sparkyv- I've sent you a pm.

I must have missed it Tex. Also, been a little distracted with Harvey this past week.

sparkyv
09-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Using the Limbsaver template, model # 10807 seems to be a pretty close fit. Might have to put it on the list.

Eddie Southgate
09-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Mines a .243 carbine . One of my boys will get it when I die but it's not going anywhere till then .

Texas by God
09-01-2017, 11:28 PM
Using the Limbsaver template, model # 10807 seems to be a pretty close fit. Might have to put it on the list.I'll resend it.

26Charlie
09-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Bought a .44 magnum M788 back in 1968; astonished me with accuracy. Stock is walnut. Refinished with a Herter's linspeed equivalent when the varnish began to flake. Extractor/ejector is peculiar for rimmed cartridges, and broke once, so replaced it and bought a spare.
Bought a left hand 788 6mm Remington last year, made a post about it on here - Saeco RG6 100gr GC great in it.

waco
09-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Guy at work has a pristine 788 in 30-30
He'd take $550 I'm pretty sure.

waco
09-14-2017, 10:04 PM
I'm already trying to see what I can sell to get it......

Texas by God
09-14-2017, 11:15 PM
I'm already trying to see what I can sell to get it......
I would be too.....
Thomas

alamogunr
09-15-2017, 12:15 AM
I bought my 788 in .308 used, many years ago. Put a Leopold scope on it and probably only shot it a couple of hundred times at the range. I really don't remember how it shot. With my skill that is probably best. All the ammo was some Norma that I got on closeout(I think). Kicked pretty good with 180 gr. bullets. I mostly wanted the brass anyway.

After reading this thread, I need to dig into the back of the safe and cast some boolits for it and quit moving that Norma brass around to get to something else.

Texas by God
09-15-2017, 05:51 PM
alamogunr, it won't disappoint you I'd be willing to bet. I never met a 788 that wouldn't group MOA at least.

Treetop
09-15-2017, 09:35 PM
alamogunr, it won't disappoint you I'd be willing to bet. I never met a 788 that wouldn't group MOA at least.

Yep, I agree, Texas by God. My two 788s aren't even real picky about boolits either. I've shot MOA groups with at least two different boolits, the 311291 and the Lee 151 that I cast mostly for my AKs. About the only boolit that my "main" 788 didn't like was, surprisingly, the 31141.

Now that I'm retired with a 200 yd. range in my backyard, I need to revisit that 31141 issue. Mine likes velocity to stay < 1800-1900 fps. Treetop

Big Mak
09-16-2017, 09:12 AM
This 788 with a Weaver Quik point from 1972 will be at the range today.
The Weaver Quik point was the grandfather of the Red dot we have today except it requires no batteries.

It is a friend's rifle that is near and dear to her heart as her hubby passed away before he got it back together for her.
My friend/gunsmith was kind enough to put it back together for her.

https://photos.smugmug.com/788-and-Weaver-Quik-point-scope/n-mLmh3L/i-8NDVfRL/0/5290b9d4/X2/i-8NDVfRL-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/788-and-Weaver-Quik-point-scope/n-mLmh3L/i-wb4JM29/0/8617ae7b/L/i-wb4JM29-L.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/788-and-Weaver-Quik-point-scope/n-mLmh3L/i-FRt7kQz/0/7027503e/L/i-FRt7kQz-L.jpg

Suo Gan
09-16-2017, 09:48 PM
They are pretty accurate but real cheaply made. About the only reason to have one is because you bought it long ago, or are nostalgic. The price they want for them isn't worth it. But whatever makes you happy is what works.

Big Mak
09-16-2017, 10:27 PM
True story , the Model 788 was marketed as an inexpensive alternative to the more expensive Model 700 I believe.
That said, once I dialed this 788 in with the grandfather of Red Dot scopes today (weaver Qwik) it grouped very nicely. 2"MOA at 100 yards.

Texas by God
09-18-2017, 11:57 PM
True, they have steel stamped parts but only the safety tab, rear sight faux base, and buttplate were plastic. They filled the niche the Savage Axis and Ruger American and others do today. Those are cheaply made too. Give me the 788.

Jack Stanley
09-19-2017, 07:19 PM
And if Remington would start production on the 788 today I bet they'd still be selling nicely . Plus there would be a real good reason to chamber them in .44 magnum again ;-)

Jack

Four Fingers of Death
09-19-2017, 07:26 PM
And if Remington would start production on the 788 today I bet they'd still be selling nicely . Plus there would be a real good reason to chamber them in .44 magnum again ;-)

Jack

Yonks ago, I was in my (then) LGS and the Remington rep came in and announced the 788 was to be discontinued. He stated that there was nothing wrong with the 788 and that they sold well, but those sales were felt to be mainly at the expense of Remington 700 sales.

oldblinddog
09-19-2017, 09:22 PM
One has to remember that the 700 always had a significant price advantage over its competition, the pre-64 Winchester M70. The 788 would have been serious competition for the 700. And all the derogotory comments heard about 788's from the 700 purists were the same comments made about the 700 by M70 purists. It is the same today, just pick your favorites.

I like my 700's but I am quite happy I have my 788 .30-30 as well.

Treetop
09-19-2017, 09:46 PM
He stated that there was nothing wrong with the 788 and that they sold well, but those sales were felt to be mainly at the expense of Remington 700 sales.

I know of at least one instance where that was true, me! For 4 years, during the 70s, I was a poor tool & die maker apprentice with a new bride (the current and only, Mrs. Treetop) and very little money. At the time, the model 788 was considerably cheaper than the model 700 and that was all I knew about when I bought my first one.

My BIL owned a model 700 in .30-06 and we were both avid reloaders and boolit casters. It didn't take us long to notice that both of us shot tighter groups with my 788 than we did with 700. The difference was so noticeable that my BIL bought a brand new 788 and it shot right along side mine, accuracy wise.

We did find out also that when shooting J-words, we got signs of high pressure at lower than max loadings, so we just happily used our 788s for cast boolit shooters. I'm sure that the premature high pressure signs (cases stuck in the chamber) were due to the rear locking lugs. Treetop

Texas by God
09-19-2017, 10:10 PM
And the 788 kick started the popularity of the 22-250 and the 7mm-08 BECAUSE it was affordable.

Petrol & Powder
09-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Yonks ago, I was in my (then) LGS and the Remington rep came in and announced the 788 was to be discontinued. He stated that there was nothing wrong with the 788 and that they sold well, but those sales were felt to be mainly at the expense of Remington 700 sales.

There's a fine line between offering a less expensive gun that keeps your frugal customers from straying to another company vs. competing with yourself. Initially the 788 cost less to make than the 700 but as time went on that gap narrowed and eventually Remington must have decided that it wasn't worth it.

Thin Man
09-23-2017, 07:02 AM
In 1973 I didn't own a 22 centerfire rifle but wanted one. The 788 was a good opportunity to get started in this area as it was affordable and carried a reputation for tight groups. A local shop had several (new) in .223 so I handed the clerk a $100 bill. He handed me the rifle and enough change for a burger, fries and milkshake on the way home. I had been handloading about 3 years by then and this rifle gave me the confidence to expand that activity. The rifle liked every load I fed into it and became my go-to answer for the groundhog control problem. Still have that rifle. It has been joined by a .222 and later by a .243 that are still here. Earlier this year I saw a 7mm/08 in a local store and looked it over. There was a spot inside the barrel that I could not determine to be dust, debris, rust, or something else. I set it back in the rack and returned to that store a week later ready to wipe down the bore for a second look. The rifle was gone! Rats! Foiled again.

Texas by God
09-23-2017, 09:08 AM
Thin Man- now you know. Grab the 788 when you see it because someone else who KNOWS will grab it! This happened to me at a gun show with a Walnut 30-30! Ten minutes after I set it back on the table it was gone forever. I came back with plastic in hand and my explanation to the wife all planned out for nought.

Four Fingers of Death
09-23-2017, 06:37 PM
returned to that store a week later ready to wipe down the bore for a second look. The rifle was gone! Rats! Foiled again.

I just ask them to give the barrel a wipe. Every gunshop I have ever asked have a really ratty looking cleaning rod with a brush that's on it's last legs behind the counter. Good enough to move a dust spec or bit of crud anyway. If it is still there after that it would be rust, so thank you, no.

charlie b
09-27-2017, 08:02 AM
One reason the 788 was so accurate was the short barrel. It was also a reason many scoffed at it since 24" barrels were the 'high velocity' kings. Trouble was the long thin barrels only liked certain loads so it took a while to get one to shoot good. The 788 that I had (7mm-08) shot just about every load within 1 moa.

I also got the 788 due to cost. The problem is that if they come out with a lower cost rifle some people will choose it over the flagship model 700. The corporate question will be, can they draw in people from Savage and Mossberg to buy a less expensive rifle or will they lose more sales from the 700 series.

Petrol & Powder
09-27-2017, 08:29 AM
............. The problem is that if they come out with a lower cost rifle some people will choose it over the flagship model 700. The corporate question will be, can they draw in people from Savage and Mossberg to buy a less expensive rifle or will they lose more sales from the 700 series.

/\ This is precisely the problem from a corporate point of view.
If you're the manufacturer do you want to provide your customers with a less expensive option so that they will buy from you and not from a competitor?
The risk is that you will then sell fewer of your more expensive items. In other words, Do you want to compete with yourself ?

If you sell enough of the lower end products with a small profit margin you will make money. But there's a tipping point when competing with yourself becomes a losing game. That's exactly what happened with Remington. As manufacturing costs of the 788 inched upward the small profit margin got even smaller. At the same time the market for the 788 also got smaller. Items with small profit margins only make money when the sales volume is high.

Thin Man
09-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Some years ago there were many speculations for the reason that 788s gave tight groups. At that time the consensus of opinion was lock time. This was a relatively new term to me so I started the google-foo search and learned about lock time as a general topic, then searched for the reported lock time for current production rifles. The information that came back from that search supported the claim that 788s were faster than a hiccup. There were very few rifles with a faster lock time, current or previous, than the 788. Now, whether that is the foundation for tight groups can still be debated. In either event the rifle's lock time apparently did little to hurt its group sizes.

reivertom
09-28-2017, 11:41 AM
A buddy of mine had a 788 in .243 with an 18" barrel. Most folks would say the caliber was too small and the barrel was too short, etc.. All I know is, it would stack bullets at 100 yards with ease and he killed many deer, and never needed more than one shot. Even though I find them ugly, I've been a fan since seeing his in action. I just wish I had bought the ones I passed up when they were around more......and cheaper.

bstone5
09-28-2017, 11:46 AM
The cross section of the 788 has a high section modules, this makes the 788 action a very stiff action with regard to bending of the action. The stiff action also AIDS in the accuracy capacity of the 788.

RWE
09-28-2017, 12:31 PM
I picked a 6mm LH a while ago and finally resigned myself to do load development last week.

Got out all sorts of powder, all sorts of bullets, took it all to the picnic table.

Consulted volumes of the books and made notes on loads.

Set up the scales, primed a bunch of brass, and came up with a 1st test load of Varget and 100grSGK's.

Loaded up 5 rounds and dropped them in a quarter size circle at 120.

I repeated the same load and repeated the group.

So I loaded up the rest and put it all away.

Most anti-climactic session I had in a while.

Rick Hodges
09-28-2017, 01:26 PM
I picked a 6mm LH a while ago and finally resigned myself to do load development last week.

Got out all sorts of powder, all sorts of bullets, took it all to the picnic table.

Consulted volumes of the books and made notes on loads.

Set up the scales, primed a bunch of brass, and came up with a 1st test load of Varget and 100grSGK's.

Loaded up 5 rounds and dropped them in a quarter size circle at 120.

I repeated the same load and repeated the group.

So I loaded up the rest and put it all away.

Most anti-climactic session I had in a while.

Mine takes a case full of H-4831 and 100 gr. Hornady interlock BTSP's and spits them out with monotonous regularity at a touch over 3000 fps and less than 1 MOA. I love the 6mm Rem.

RWE
09-28-2017, 02:20 PM
I got it because a friend of mine wanted to do antelope in Wyoming, and in my mind, nothing says, "dead antelope" like a 6mm. Why I don't know, but that's what came to mind.

But he knocked up his wife and that trip got the axe.

So I figured on using it on Carolina Whitetail from the back yard stand overlooking the cut corn where I can put a respectable 300 yarder in play if the situation presents.

Farmer just cut the corn, so I'll probably set up a target at 300 and see what I'm looking at. I didn't even chrony the varget load, but I'll unbox it when I try the oolong shot.

Texas by God
09-28-2017, 05:41 PM
I like the .243 Winchester. I LOVE the 6mm Remington. IMO it's better in every way except popularity. I'm severely right handed but I would absolutely snap up a LH 788 6mm (or .308)- the only calibers offered in portside.

Rick Hodges
09-28-2017, 06:24 PM
I got it because a friend of mine wanted to do antelope in Wyoming, and in my mind, nothing says, "dead antelope" like a 6mm. Why I don't know, but that's what came to mind.

But he knocked up his wife and that trip got the axe.

So I figured on using it on Carolina Whitetail from the back yard stand overlooking the cut corn where I can put a respectable 300 yarder in play if the situation presents.

Farmer just cut the corn, so I'll probably set up a target at 300 and see what I'm looking at. I didn't even chrony the varget load, but I'll unbox it when I try the oolong shot.

That pronghorn in my avatar was taken with my LH 788 in central Montana. I restocked the rifle with a pretty piece of Bastogne Walnut. That load is pure poison, shot was 265 yds.

Texas by God
09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
That is a great goat there, Rick! Since you've teased us, how about a pic of your rifle?

Kestrel4k
09-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Thanks to all for the info on the 788; this thread has been interesting reading.
I confess to not knowing much about these, but do have a Remington 540/580 .22LR so I can see some similarity.

That .44Mag really sounds dandy; what was the twist rate ?
I see that those were chambered only in 1967-70. I'll probably never see one for sale, but at least I can keep my eye out for one. :)

Uncle Grinch
09-29-2017, 05:46 PM
?......"....I restocked the rifle with a pretty piece of Bastogne Walnut. .......

Would love to see a picture of your restocked 788. Been thinking about a replacement of mine. Great rifle... ugly stock!

Rick Hodges
09-29-2017, 05:53 PM
The pic's don't pick up the full grain but you get the idea.204852

Rick Hodges
09-29-2017, 05:57 PM

kbstenberg
09-29-2017, 07:43 PM
Rick Who said you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear?

Texas by God
09-29-2017, 08:08 PM
I think that is the nicest looking 788 I've seen. Including the two that I have restocked myself!

CASTER OF LEAD
09-30-2017, 02:53 AM
I LOVE the REM 788 models. I own 2 of them. 1 in .222 and one in .243 ( carbine) . The .243 is responsible for pretty near 120 whitetail homicides. It is a deer death Ray. The .222 is a tack driver as well.- CASTER

CASTER OF LEAD
09-30-2017, 03:16 AM
204903 Here is a typical 5 shot group from my .222
Shot at 100 yards off of bags.

CASTER OF LEAD
09-30-2017, 05:59 AM
204905 This is my .222 and the squirrel tail is from the fox squirrel i head shot at 75 yds. from right where the gun sets.

Uncle Grinch
09-30-2017, 07:11 PM
Now that is a nice looking 788.... very nice. I'm going to start looking at stocks for mine.

Thanks for the pictures!!

Treetop
09-30-2017, 07:40 PM
204905 This is my .222 and the squirrel tail is from the fox squirrel i head shot at 75 yds. from right where the gun sets.

Nice picture and story, CASTER! Thanks for sharing it. Treetop

Treetop
09-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Thanks to all for the info on the 788; this thread has been interesting reading.
I confess to not knowing much about these, but do have a Remington 540/580 .22LR so I can see some similarity.

That .44Mag really sounds dandy; what was the twist rate ?
I see that those were chambered only in 1967-70. I'll probably never see one for sale, but at least I can keep my eye out for one. :)

Kestrel, I have a LH Remington model 581 as an understudy to my LH 788s. It's so identical that the trigger groups are interchangeable. I bought 2 Timney aftermarket triggers and used one on my 581.
My 581 is < MOA at 50 yards but with one caveat! It is extremely sensitive to stock screw pressure! Mine will only shoot these groups when the single stock screw is torqued to 12-14 inch pounds. Also it prefers CCI Mini Mags. Sorry if this is drifting off topic... Treetop

Texas by God
09-30-2017, 07:59 PM
My 581 (baby 788) is very, very accurate. The magazine is worn out but still out works the 10 shot replacements.

charlie b
10-01-2017, 07:04 AM
I forgot about that. A 581 was my first gun. Also a tack driver. Probably why I liked my 788 so much :)

I also lapped the lugs on both of them. Didn't really improve accuracy that I could tell, but, it made me feel better :)

I liked the Mannlicher stock on the 788. The short barrel seemed like it was made for that kid of stock.

oldblinddog
10-03-2017, 11:19 PM
I've never seen a 788 with a mannlicher stock. A 7, yes, but not the 788.