PDA

View Full Version : Ran across a reasonably priced S&W Model 332ti in .32 H&R Magnum.....

Harry O
07-02-2017, 07:12 PM
and bought it a few weeks ago. It is the standard aluminum J-frame, titanium cylinder, 6-shots, 2" bbl, boot grips, and DAO with a sealed internal hammer. It may be the best CCW gun I have so far. I have several other .32 H&R Magnum revolvers, but none of them are ideal CCW guns. What I have learned about it so far:

It is really light. It is also compact. It will fit in my pants pocket easily without printing (using a pocket holster) and without the grip occasionally peeking out. The .32 H&R Magnum is accurate and easily controlled even with the little grips. It shoots to point-of-aim with factory jacketed loads and my handloads that duplicate the factory loads. All good things for a CCW gun.

One bad thing is that the titanium cylinder gets really dirty in only 2 or 3 cylinders full and gets harder and harder to eject them until about 6 or so cylinders in when the ejection totally stops. A thorough cleaning gets it back in business again. After cleaning, the ammo again drops in and out with gravity alone. Another 2 or 3 cylinders full and there are ejection problems again. Actually, if I ever do need it for self defense, I doubt that I will ever get that many shots off anyway, so this should not be a big problem.

It is not a plinker. Titanium is evidently rough and porous (compared to steel), which means that it gets dirty quick. There are also warnings not to use steel (and some places say brass) brushes on it. I just use a lot of solvent rags wrapped around a plastic brush. The final one is an oil rag and it is done.

I am thinking of trying some .32 S&W Long cases in it to see if they eject easier or for a longer period of time.

M-Tecs
07-02-2017, 07:25 PM
I have a titanium 38 S&W and have zero extraction issues. I have put as many as 200 rounds thru it with cleaning. I did have a 696 that had a rough cylinder gave me issues until I honed it.

You can get them from Brownells or here http://www.brushresearch.com/brushes.php?c2=8

Harry O
07-02-2017, 09:31 PM
I didn't know the 696 had a titanium cylinder. I have polished steel and stainless steel cylinders successfully, but the S&W website specificially says not to do that with a titanium cylinder. Has anyone else out there successfully polished a titanium cylinder?

M-Tecs
07-02-2017, 10:22 PM
I was not clear. The 686 is stainless. I never remember the model # but I also have a 38 S&W with the titanium cylinder.