PDA

View Full Version : bullet seater

tom barthel
07-26-2008, 07:46 PM
I have a .444 marlin I reload for. I was loading up a bunch of Ranch Dog .432 bullets and couldn't seat any of them without shearing part of the meplat. There seems to be a slight indentation on the seater. This looks to be designed for round bullets or at least narrow nosed semiwadcutters. I'm thinking of grinding the edges or cup rim from the seater. I guess my question is, would a flat seater work alright with the Ranch Dog bullet?

Doc Highwall
07-26-2008, 08:47 PM
The 444 shoots the same boolits as the 44mag, see if one of the seating stems from a 44mag die set for a keith style will fit your 444dies.

tom barthel
07-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Doc Highwall
I have .44 mag dies. I just never thought of switching parts. I WILL give it a try.
Tom

ktw
07-26-2008, 10:28 PM
I have temporarily solved the same problem by shooting the wrong shaped seater full of glue with a hot-glue gun then let it dry setting on a bullet nose in the lubsizer. Easy to pick out of the seater when you are done. Could do the same with some epoxy or J-B weld for a more permanent solution.

-ktw

Junior1942
07-27-2008, 07:57 AM
I have temporarily solved the same problem by shooting the wrong shaped seater full of glue with a hot-glue gun then let it dry setting on a bullet nose in the lubsizer. Easy to pick out of the seater when you are done. Could do the same with some epoxy or J-B weld for a more permanent solution.

-ktwI've done the same but with epoxy. Just slick the bullet's nose with oil.

VTDW
07-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Tom,

You can also hacksaw off a 5/16" bolt, grind off the flats and make the head round.

Dave

tom barthel
07-27-2008, 12:30 PM
In checking my .44 mag seater, I found it to be a LEE. Wouldn't work with RCBS dies. I have some JB weld. I'll try that next. I really don't want to mess up my seater by grinding it. unless there is no other choice. I'll try epoxy next and then the 5/16 bolt idea. Thanks to all.
Tom

VTDW
07-27-2008, 03:53 PM
I find the epoxy sometimes will fall out, but that is just me. When it works though, it really does a great job and is an easy fix so your are going in the right direction Tom. Let us know how it works for you.

Dave