PDA

View Full Version : S&W Model 15-2 with terrible leading

tranders
07-02-2017, 10:24 AM
I have been loading MBC 148 grain double ended wadcutters with 3.7 grains of HP38 for my S&W Model 15. Loads seems to shoot ok,but get lots of leading. Ribbons of lead in the throats and forcing cone area.
After the first round of testing these loads, I sent the cylinder to DougGuy to uniform the cylinder throats and as usual he did a great job.
2nd round of testing and the same problems. Ribbons of lead in the throats and forcing cone. Might add the projectiles are measuring .358.
My guess is maybe projectiles are under sized??
I have since bought a Lee 158 grain flat nose mould and these are dropping at .360 with Lyman #2. Have yet to test these out,but hoping to alleviate the leading problem.

Any helpful ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks!

Petrol & Powder
07-02-2017, 10:38 AM
Others will probably have more experience but my first question is, "what type of lube are you using"?

My second thought is alloy way too hard followed by not enough pressure.

I had a S&W model 64 that wouldn't shoot worth beans until I got the load almost to max with HP-38 [ww231]. Once I got close to max with a 160ish grain bullet cast from 10-11 BHn alloy, it settled in nicely.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-02-2017, 10:49 AM
Generally 38 WC bullets are soft...what hardness are your MBC bullets?

If they are soft? one problem is the bullet being swaged smaller during seating, if you don't expand the case enough. Have you pulled a bullet from a loaded round, to see what size it is?
What dies are you using, most dies are designed for loading J-words. Most of us cast boolit shooters will modify a expander die, so it expands the case larger to negate that issue. Generally you want to expand the case so it's .001 or .002 smaller than what your bullet size is...and again, this is much more important when using soft bullets.

tranders
07-02-2017, 10:50 AM
MBC uses a hard blue lube on all their lead boolits. The BHN is stated as 12 on box. I can't make a dent with thumb nail.

I am lubing with Alox for the boolits from the Lee mould.

tranders
07-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Generally 38 WC bullets are soft...what hardness are your MBC bullets?

If they are soft? one problem is the bullet being swaged smaller during seating, if you don't expand the case enough. Have you pulled a bullet from a loaded round, to see what size it is?
What dies are you using, most dies are designed for loading J-words. Most of us cast boolit shooters will modify a expander die, so it expands the case larger to negate that issue. Generally you want to expand the case so it's .001 or .002 smaller than what your bullet size is...and again, this is much more important when using soft bullets.

No, I have not pulled a bullet, but I will this afternoon. I'm using RCBS dies.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-02-2017, 10:56 AM
standard RCBS dies?
or the RCBS 'cowboy' dies that are designed for cast bullet loading?

tranders
07-02-2017, 11:11 AM
standard RCBS dies?
or the RCBS 'cowboy' dies that are designed for cast bullet loading?

Standard RCBS dies. Just pulled two boolits, both measure .3585. I am using Western nickel plated wadcutter brass.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-02-2017, 11:17 AM
well that sounds good, I can't imagine a S&W bore would be larger than .3585
How does the throat look?
also, maybe slug the barrel and feel closely for thread choke.

376Steyr
07-02-2017, 11:30 AM
I suggest getting some soft, swaged commercial wadcutters and try them. My experience with commercial cast wadcutters is they tend to be way too hard to be used with normal "wadcutter load" charges of fast burning powder. I suspect your Lee 158 with Lyman #2 will give you trouble too, as #2 is a pretty hard alloy to be using at standard .38 Special pressures. When it comes to the .38 Special, harder is not always better.

tranders
07-02-2017, 11:53 AM
well that sounds good, I can't imagine a S&W bore would be larger than .3585
How does the throat look?
also, maybe slug the barrel and feel closely for thread choke.

Slugging the barrel will be my next step. Thanks for your help.

tranders
07-02-2017, 11:57 AM
I suggest getting some soft, swaged commercial wadcutters and try them. My experience with commercial cast wadcutters is they tend to be way too hard to be used with normal "wadcutter load" charges of fast burning powder. I suspect your Lee 158 with Lyman #2 will give you trouble too, as #2 is a pretty hard alloy to be using at standard .38 Special pressures. When it comes to the .38 Special, harder is not always better.

I am in agreement that maybe the lead is too hard as this point. Might try using these boolits in the 357 magnum and pushing them faster and see how they perform. Thanks for the help

sixshot
07-02-2017, 02:18 PM
I would try a soft alloy & powder coat them. Might try some sized & some unsized.

Dick

Larry Gibson
07-02-2017, 02:59 PM
MBC uses a hard blue lube on all their lead boolits.

That is the problem. Suggest you TL those WCs with a light coat of LLA as per Lee's instructions. No need to size again though, just lube and let dry thoroughly before loading. Also suggest you drop the charge of HP38 to 3 gr.

Larry Gibson

tranders
07-02-2017, 08:38 PM
That is the problem. Suggest you TL those WCs with a light coat of LLA as per Lee's instructions. No need to size again though, just lube and let dry thoroughly before loading. Also suggest you drop the charge of HP38 to 3 gr.

Larry Gibson

Will give that a try.