PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
07-02-2017, 07:55 AM
Like Sheep We Have Gone Astray

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way. Isaiah 53:6a

In the ancient world, if there were sheep there was also a shepherd. Together, they are mentioned close to 500 times in Scripture. Literal sheep and shepherds became a metaphor for spiritual sheep and shepherds because we manifest similar behaviors. Most troublesome is a sheep’s tendency to wander away and become lost, injured, or attacked by predators. And the same thing happens with us.

Our tendency to act like sheep—to wander away from God—prompted the words of Isaiah the prophet when describing the coming Messiah: “All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned, every one, to his own way.” That reflects the actions of Adam and Eve—choosing their way instead of God’s—and it reflects our actions, too. Thankfully, God sent His Son to be the Good Shepherd who will lead, protect, and provide for His sheep. We must guard against our human tendency to wander by staying close to the Good Shepherd, Jesus Christ.

If you have wandered away from God—maybe a little, maybe a lot—let today be the day you return to God’s Good Shepherd.

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it, prone to leave the God I love. Here’s my heart, O take and seal it, seal it for Thy courts above.
Robert Robinson

Pine Baron
07-02-2017, 08:47 AM
Luke 15
4 What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ 7 I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance.

Boaz
07-02-2017, 05:49 PM
Thank you rl69 and Pine Baron . We have all strayed , GOD knows we will stray . Through his grace we are taken back . But there must be those willing to look for the lost . You never know ...a shepherd may seek you one day . We are to all have a turn at being a shepherd .

John 21;16
Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.” Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”