PDA

View Full Version : Silly Question

johnhenry57
07-01-2017, 02:15 PM
Can you lube PC boolits for BP? I ask because I have lots of PC boolits in 45lc and wish to use them in BP loads.

Wayne Smith
07-01-2017, 02:25 PM
As long as they have lube grooves I don't see why not. The lube is there to soften the PB residue, I suppose you could use a lube cookie perhaps just a easily.

johnhenry57
07-03-2017, 08:44 AM
O.K. So I loaded up some PC boolits that I pan lubed. .45 lc. I compare the BP loads against some previous rounds loaded with Trail Boss for Cowboy Action Shooting. The grouping from the BP were half the size of the Trail Boss loads. Also the the SD in a five shot string was surprising too. The SD for the Trail Boss was23.95 and the BP was 11.38. I found that very interesting.

BAGTIC
07-08-2017, 03:53 PM
What was the volume density of the BP vs. the volume density of the Trail Boss? That would be my first guess.

My experience has been that a charge that fills the case is usually more uniform. I once compared a 7x57 AI load in a fire formed case versus an unfired case and the unfired cases were much more consistent when both were fired in the same gun.