PDA

View Full Version : Weigand Mount with Fastfire 3

Ickisrulz
07-01-2017, 01:31 PM

I wanted to try something a bit different on one of my revolvers. I used a Weigand mount to put a Fastfire 3 on my 30 Carbine Blackhawk. The mount holds nicely and installs without drilling or tapping.

http://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Revolver-Mini-Mount.html

tdoyka
07-01-2017, 02:53 PM
i did the same thing with a ruger sbh 44mag(4 5/8" barrel). except i used a tru glo reflex red dot. i used it for a year and then i took it off and i use a one hole sight.
http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/ohs-ruger.html

when i am old and decrypted, i'll use my weigand and a reflex sight.

GhostHawk
07-01-2017, 09:38 PM
I have a Weigand Dovetail mount on my Ruger Mk III 22/45 that was made back before the D&T'd all of them.

60$ and it does work great although it seems to work loose about once a year thus far.
One of these times I'll hit it with some thread locker. For now crank them down snug and shoot the heck out of it.

Larry Gibson
07-02-2017, 09:50 AM
I didn't mind D&Ting my Ruger Bisley .41 magnum. I put a very thin flat Weaver base forward of the rear sight. I use a Burris Fast Fire II on it. If the FF fails or the batteries go dead the FF is easily and quickly removed. With the FF removed the iron sights are right there ready for use if need be. This set up also sits as low as possible on top of the Ruger's frame. This works for me.

Larry Gibson

Ickisrulz
07-02-2017, 04:03 PM
I didn't mind D&Ting my Ruger Bisley .41 magnum. I put a very thin flat Weaver base forward of the rear sight. I use a Burris Fast Fire II on it. If the FF fails or the batteries go dead the FF is easily and quickly removed. With the FF removed the iron sights are right there ready for use if need be. This set up also sits as low as possible on top of the Ruger's frame. This works for me.

Larry Gibson

I can't be trusted to drill on a revolver frame!

Larry Gibson
07-02-2017, 04:38 PM
I have a good drill press with a mill table on it and a Forster D&T jig. Keeps thing aligned that way but set up is still critical.

Larry Gibson

TXCOONDOG
07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Never tried a red dot on a pistol. I know a scope 1X is a PITA for me when scouting and shooting freehand. Anyway, I know practice is a must, how fast can you get on target consistently since it's not co-witnessed with irons ?

contender1
07-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Red dots are easy to use. Two tricks to remember, is to zero the dot, and then, no matter where the dot position is as you shoot,,,where the dot is is where the bullet goes. You do not have to "center" the dot inside the optic window. That is why dot optics are fast to use. In many speed shooting competitions,,, dots are the only way to achieve such speed as shown by the serious shooters.

Ickisrulz
07-03-2017, 12:59 PM
What is available in holsters for revolvers with Red Dots?

Larry Gibson
07-03-2017, 06:43 PM
What is available in holsters for revolvers with Red Dots?

I modified a Michael's shoulder holster. Cut out where the RD fits and then glued a wrap around piece on to protect/cover the RD sight. Holster still works fine for other 6 - 7 1/2" barreled revolvers w/o RD sights.

Larry Gibson

Ickisrulz
07-03-2017, 06:55 PM
I modified a Michael's shoulder holster. Cut out where the RD fits and then glued a wrap around piece on to protect/cover the RD sight. Holster still works fine for other 6 - 7 1/2" barreled revolvers w/o RD sights.

Larry Gibson

Thanks.