PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 loading question

bisleyfan41
07-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I have a Win 94 that I bought new in 1985 after saving money from cutting grass all summer. It's a great gun and shoots very well; it's best group is 3/8" @ 50 yds with a 4x scope.

My question is about filling the magazine. When I load the mag, I push one round in leaving the case head out and then push it the rest of the way in using the next and repeat until the mag is full. When I 1st bought the gun, I tried pushing each one in fully but if the loading gate closes the case moves back behind it not allowing you to push in any other rounds. Is this normal in the Wins? It is the only feature that annoys me about this gun. Friends with Marlins can load theirs "singley" with no problems. Is there a fix for it?

My problem with this is that after firing 2 or 3 shots, I'd like to be able to "top off" the mag. Any ideas? And no, I'm not going to just go buy a Marlin[smilie=1:
Thanks.

Junior1942
07-26-2008, 10:30 AM
It's supposed to work like that. If you push in hard on the gate with your thumb, the gate will slide the case head under it back so you can load another round.

NickSS
07-27-2008, 07:41 AM
I can add that filling up a partially loaded magazine is a good idea if you are in combat but I doubt if you need it when Hunting. I usually only load two rounds in my rifle when deer hunting. In nearly 45 years of hunting I only needed the second shot twice so a two shooter works fine for me

James C. Snodgrass
07-27-2008, 07:53 AM
I know what you mean with them being difficult. I've got 1964 model that isn't as picky as my 1994 model I was thinking the same thing about the marlins. But like junior said they should work, just a super stiff spring ? I'm not sure but am about to take it apart and look and see what I can do for it, because the trigger pull on my newer one is similar to pulling a cat off a screen door and I finally got it to shoot cast well and am going to start shooting it some and just can't abide a nasty trigger. James:coffee:

Trailblazer
07-27-2008, 09:38 AM
There is a fin sticking out on the inside of the loading gate. There could be burrs on the front edge of that fin that are catching on the cartridge head. A little polishing there may help the situation.

bisleyfan41
07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the replies so far. When I use this gun for deer, I only load 2 in the mag and 1 in the chamber even though I've never needed more than the first (knock on wood). But I use this gun for everything including raccoons, skunks, foxes, groundhogs, crows, etc. I usually load it full when hunting some of these animals.

We have a severe coon problem here. There are dozens of them and they are bothering the pets and are starting to show a lack of fear of humans so they have to go.

One time while after coons, a family of seven or eight came out. I shot 3 times, killing 2 of them. As I was expecting more action, I wanted to top off, but had to clear the mag and start over loading. Eventually more of them came out and I killed some more, but it would just be easier to be able to top it off w/o having to empty the mag first.

Trailblazer, I'll check for burrs and Junior I'll try what you said. I've never thought to do that and it may solve my problem. I use this gun for alot more different critters than the average 94 owner, I'm sure. It's my only centerfire rifle, I like it , and it does everything I ask of it. Thanks.

missionary5155
07-27-2008, 03:29 PM
It's supposed to work like that. If you push in hard on the gate with your thumb, the gate will slide the case head under it back so you can load another round.
It may until your 1892 (27xxx) is getting WELL broke in.... I recon that is why you learn to load it the right way and just continue to do so... :-D My old 44-40 just purrs along and as long as I stuff it right and cycle it fully there is no pronblems.

Larry Gibson
07-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Polish the inside of the loading gate as Trailblazer suggests. Also most of the magazine springs in the M94 carbines are overly long. The more rounds you put in the magazine the more tension and the harder to load with the gate causing the problems you suggest. I cut the magazine spring off so it is only 3-4" longer than the magazine tube. This still leaves plenty of spring tension to feed rounds properly., makes loading much easier and it also relieves some tension on the end of the barrel that can cause considerable vertical stinging when shooting from the loaded magazine.

Larry Gibson

bisleyfan41
07-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Thanks Larry. All sorts of good stuff in your post. Never thought about possible stringing with a loaded tube. Learned something new today. Cool. Thanks.

John F.
07-29-2008, 09:04 PM
All good advice here. Also, when you load the 94, it is much easier once you have the first round in if you don't insert it all the way into the receiver and let the loading port cover close up. Just wrap your left (support) hand around the receiver, and hold the cartridge in the loading port with about 1/2" sticking out. Then use the next cartridge to push in the first, hold IT with 1/2" sticking out using your left hand, and continue until full. Lots easier than loading them one at a time with the port cover closing each time. If you don't hold the partially-inserted round in with your finger, after about #2 or 3, one will eject itself out the open loading port, due to increasing mag spring pressure...

Hope this helps!
John

stillhunter
07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Hats off to John F. Thats the way I do it. Some of the later '94s have a false half cock. If you have one pre button, be sure to check it. Enjoy your gun,,!!

Blammer
07-29-2008, 10:34 PM
bisleyfan41, I load my win 94 the same way you do.

I usually load it all the way up weather target shooting or hunting. When hunting I don't have to worry about what pocket my ammo is in and it doesn't rattle around.

bisleyfan41
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
when you load the 94, it is much easier once you have the first round in if you don't insert it all the way into the receiver and let the loading port cover close up. Just wrap your left (support) hand around the receiver, and hold the cartridge in the loading port with about 1/2" sticking out. Then use the next cartridge to push in the first, hold IT with 1/2" sticking out using your left hand, and continue until full.

Thanks John. I load it the way you describe. What I'm referring to is that after I load it full and then shoot a few rounds while hunting, I'd like to be able to top it off with more rounds. But I can't because the next round in the mag tube is behind the loading port cover and the cover won't push in because of the round under it. In the Marlin, the rounds in the tube are held "forward" in front of the loading port cover so you are able to push additional rounds in. I was just wondering if this the Win design or if mine had a problem. Not really that big of a deal, just an inconvenience.

Junior1942
07-30-2008, 12:56 PM
bisleyfan41, you're not pushing the cover in hard enough.

bisleyfan41
07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Dangit Junior! You only had to tell me twice before it finally sank in.
Man I can be hard-headed. All these years I thought it was the gun. It's ME!
Thanks Junior; problem solved