PDA

View Full Version : Pointed Bullet in Straight Wall Cartridges??

Magnum Mike
03-28-2005, 11:06 PM
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/411-195-gc.jpg

I am considering purchasing a mold from NEI in the above #218 411-195-GC and am curious what experience you all have had with pointed boolits like that. I would be loading this in several 41's not just the 41mag...

harley45
03-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I am watching this thread also I want the pointed of this version for 45 auto I know the late Dean Grennel had very good results with it but I need to know if I can get a top punch for it.

Magnum Mike
03-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Available at NEI:
Top Punches - STAR/SAECO - $18.00
Top Punches - RCBS/LYMAN - $10.00

If thats all thats holdin ya back, problem solved, LOL!

I would like to get some feedback on this bullet style before i order one. Anyone??

Safeshot
03-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I loaded some commercial pointed cast bullets with a gas check in the .44 Mag. I used a center drill to modify a SWC bullet seating punch. It only took a few minutes and did not prevent using the seating punch for SWC bullets after modification. This modification "might" even allow the use of the same seating punch to seat round nose bullets. I will advise when I try it.

Bass Ackward
03-29-2005, 07:40 AM
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/411-195-gc.jpg

I am considering purchasing a mold from NEI in the above #218 411-195-GC and am curious what experience you all have had with pointed boolits like that. I would be loading this in several 41's not just the 41mag...

Mike,

Lyman found the pointed bullet to be one of the most accurte in a 44 Mag back in the late 50s early 60s. Wrote it up in their cast bullet manual of that period trying to spur sales. Just a paper puncher.

My guess is that it has less nose weight to stabilize and is more aerodynamic. Think of it as a trunicated cone with a small meplat.

C1PNR
03-30-2005, 02:03 PM
I wonder how the over all length of that design compares to others in SWC. If there is any issue with COL. I wouldn't think so, with that light weight.

harley45
03-30-2005, 02:30 PM
I found the answer to the top punch question after I posted my reply earlier. I know Grennel had good luck in .45 A.C.P. even when he loaded them up to super levels (1300-1400fps) someday I will get one

azrednek
03-30-2005, 11:13 PM
I'm considering it myself after being enlightened in the other thread. Chances are good you will find somebody that has used it in the yahoo cast bullet group. Most the regulars are die hard NEI fans and many 41 mag lovers included in the bunch.

Magnum Mike
03-31-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm considering it myself after being enlightened in the other thread. Chances are good you will find somebody that has used it in the yahoo cast bullet group. Most the regulars are die hard NEI fans and many 41 mag lovers included in the bunch.
What other thread??

So far i aint read nuttin' that makes me wanna turn away from orderin that mold! :D

I will give it a lil while yet to see if we get anymore feedback...

Four Fingers of Death
03-31-2005, 04:57 AM
We call these conical boolits. I haven't actually moulded any of these, but have fired thousands and thousands of commercially cast 125Gn conical boolits in 38 and 9mm. Both are from the same mould I think and are offered by several manafacturers here. I think they are probably the standard production mould offered by Magma, which seems to be the standard equipment for mass produced boolits here, probably the same in the states. The boolit I have shot always seems to have flat sides, slightly bevelled base and one standard lube groove. Lately there are being offered in teflon coat whih work well also. They are so cheap, I haven't been casting these for many years (shame on me).

They shoot really well in my exerience, especially driven fast. The only downside is that they only show a small hole on paper targets. Good luck, Mick.

azrednek
03-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Mike the other thread was in the horse trading index. Please don't be discouraged, I'm anxiously awaiting to hear your report. I've been on a mold buying frenzy the past 5 or 6 weeks and have to move some more junk on Ebay to finance my addiction before I buy it. If I buy anymore molds, afraid I'll wind up in re-hab!!

beagle
03-31-2005, 11:17 PM
Mike...that looks vaguely like a .41 version of Lyman's 429303 or the .357 version the 358093. In fact, the TP for these two would probably work just fine and for less money than NEI charges.

I've shot both of these bullets in the .44 Magnum (rifle and Super Blackhawk) and .357 Magnum and despite the propaganda put out by Lyman, I wasn't impressed with the results. They were billed as the Super Velo Pen bullets for Super Velocity Penetrators and required high velocity for both penetration and accuracy.

The lube grooves on both the Lyman bullets are too deep and carry too much lube. In fact, tests in my .44 Magnum rifle resulted in "lube boogers" on the target face at 100 yards so they're still spinning off excess lube at that range.

If I wanted a tack driver in the .41 Mag, think I'd look for a 240 grain flat RN for the carbine and a Keith clone SWC for the handguns. My opinion her now./beagle

Magnum Mike
04-01-2005, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the experience beagle!

I have to admit, i am still leaning toward building one though! :D Honestly i aint sure why, maybe just cause its different as i am really a big fan of RNFP's. Anyone else with experience??

beagle
04-01-2005, 12:03 PM
I know the feeling. Once I get to hankering for a specific mould, it sure takes a lot of mental argument to get it out of my mind and sometimes, the only remedy is to scratch the itch.

Based on my experiences with .41s, be sure you specify .412"+. MOst moulds tend to drop a bit undersize.

I just took a 410459 Lyman (my favorite .41 mould) and had one cavity hollowpointed. My shooting partner has learned to open the bands with the mill and these were opened to .413"+.

Now, I size to .412" and it cleans up nicely and is better than ever./beagle

azrednek
04-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Here is the scoop from Lyman's 1958 manual. I picked up the 358 and 429 versions recently on ebay but haven't had the time to shoot them. I'm anxiously awaiting to hear from Mike hope you have good things to say about the 41 but even if you don't I'll likley wind up buying one anyway.

Incidently the question about nose punches. according to NEI's catalog they cut the nose punch with the same cherry that cuts the mold, can't get much better than that. Before I got the correct punch for the 429303 I panned lubed and used my Lee sizing equipment that pushes the slug from the bottom.

You can link to the Lyman article from these links, you might have to move your cursor to the lower right of the picture and click to open it up big enough to read. Bear in mind the article is a sales pitch from Lyman. I find myself and other bullet casters I've talked with at gunshows; it doesn't matter much what others say, have to try it myself anyway. The good thing about mold buying, if not satisfied, it is easy to turn it around and sell it and use the money to try something else.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/429303-1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/dnisbet/429303-2.jpg

Magnum Mike
04-04-2005, 07:31 AM
azrednek, Thanks for the info!!

I am almost certain that i am ordering this mold and top punch from NEI. I really dont know why i want it but at this point, it dont matter! :lol:

9.3X62AL
04-04-2005, 12:13 PM
I have 2 NEI 25 caliber molds for which the firm cut top punches. VERY NICE tools, as are the molds. These were made by Mr. Melander prior to his passing, and I have wondered how the "new generation" NEI products compare to the fine tools that Walt made.

Magnum Mike
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Looking at that boolit, i had figger'd that top punch was a must fer my Saeco. Its ONLY another $18. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

KCSO
04-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Anybody who wants to make top punches should read Guy Letards Machinests Bedside reader #1. With almost no practice anyone can make a servicable reamer to make top punches. I Make mine from reground old spade bits and they will cut 4 or 5 punches without sharpening. I havent bought a top punch in about 15 years.