PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
06-30-2017, 06:39 AM
He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much.

—Luke 16:10

I still remember the day I went to Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa and volunteered my services to Pastor Chuck Smith. I was nineteen years old, and I said, “Pastor Chuck, I want to be used by God. I will do whatever you want me to do around here.”

I thought he might ask me to preach at one of the midweek services. Instead he said, “I have a man I want you to talk to—Pastor Romaine.”

I didn’t know who Pastor Romaine was at the time. But I learned that he had been a drill sergeant in the Marine Corps, and he took a special delight in whipping young bucks like me into shape. My job, basically, was to do janitorial work for free.

I thought, “Wait a second. I thought they were going to let me serve the Lord.”

They were. Effectively they were saying, “Be faithful in the little things, and if you aren’t, then we won’t give you anything else to do.” So I went about faithfully doing whatever was set before me, and in time, they let me go and do a Bible study here and there. I preached in some pretty interesting places, including mental institutions. And when all the pastors went out to lunch, I would ask the secretary to route the calls to me from people who called in for counseling. Little did people realize that when they were calling the church for advice, they were talking to a nineteen-year-old kid. I was anxious to do whatever I could to serve the Lord.

I have found that if we want to be used by God, then we have to be willing to do the little things first. Because we can never be too small for God to use—only too big.

GhostHawk
06-30-2017, 07:50 AM
My dad could never understand how you could be a "good" Christian and cheat on your taxes. If you cheat on the little things you'll cheat on the big ones.

But small things done for the lord, in his service add up. Even if it is just sweeping the floor, or smiling at people you don't know. Making them feel welcome.

My dad had me doing that for years. You see someone you don't know, bill you have the gift of gab. Go over to them after the service. Give em a big smile, strike up a conversation. Make them feel welcome, at home. Same as if they knocked on your door. Be a good man for the Lord. They have come to his house, be his servant, see to their needs.

If you pay attention to the details, the little things. The big things have a way of sorting themselves out without much help.

Pine Baron
06-30-2017, 09:05 AM
Very good lesson, thanks.

EMC45
06-30-2017, 10:15 AM
My wife has been busting her tail and coming home exhausted from working our church's VBS this week. I just sent this to her.

USMC87
06-30-2017, 06:35 PM
Amen and thank you for the message.

Boaz
06-30-2017, 07:16 PM
Your lesson hit the nail on the head rl69 ! NO work is small it all adds up to the whole .

shoot-n-lead
06-30-2017, 07:45 PM
Very good lesson.

Thanks

Blackwater
07-01-2017, 06:12 PM
Amen and what a great lesson and solid principle! I had a cousin who for many years, cleaned her church. And when I say "cleaned," I mean REALLY cleaned! She made sure that place was spotless. I believe you could have eaten off the floors! At her funeral, she was praised and many humorous stories told, and many stories about the many little comments she made that revealed her true inner devotion to our Lord and his Church, and just her real attitude. Her funeral was one of those "celebrations of life" types. She was a great example of what this post speaks of. Folks like that, who serve humbly and long, are true treasures to any church. Always will be.