PDA

View Full Version : New Reloading Room Problems

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 06:31 AM
Hello everyone, I recently built a room in my shop, I am having some problems with my reloading dies rusting. My 10x12 room has an air conditioner, and it's well insulated. I have had to take my dies apart twice now, just to clean the rust off of them. I have also soaked them in a rust prohibitor. All of the equipment is hornady and the room has been built for a month now. Just looking for some advise on what to do. I thought maybe someone here has experienced this problem. Thanks.

sawinredneck
06-30-2017, 06:36 AM
How long ago was the concrete poured? What are your temps, humidity and dew point? Just looking at the concrete it looks like it's sweating to me, you may need to get a dehumidifier to keep the humidity down. Newer/greener concrete will sweat more, after a couple of years it cures more and will sweat less.

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 06:43 AM
Shop was built in the 90's. the concrete is just stained. I guess I always thought that a air conditioner pulled the moisture out of the air. I keep it around 70 degrees but I turn it to the lowest setting when I'm in the room.

matrixcs
06-30-2017, 06:45 AM
I live where humidity is a real problem. My shop is a place where anything would rust unless it was submerged in oil...I solved that problem by putting in a portable de-humidifier and installing air-conditioning. The de-humidifier warms the room to an uncomfortable level 9 months of the year but the AC brings it to 78 degrees and the humidity is kept at 30%...I am sure the electric bill is a few dollars more than before I added the AC and de-humidifier. Rust is not a problem for me any more. YMMV

Iron Whittler
06-30-2017, 06:51 AM
What size a/c unit do you have. If A/C unit is to big, it will not run long enough to remove the moisture from the air causing sweating issues. For a room that size, a 5000 btu unit is plenty. Larger units will cool too quickly and not dry the air. You might consider a Dehumidifier to dry the air.:Fire:

sawinredneck
06-30-2017, 06:51 AM
Shop was built in the 90's. the concrete is just stained. I guess I always thought that a air conditioner pulled the moisture out of the air. I keep it around 70 degrees but I turn it to the lowest setting when I'm in the room.
The a/c can increase the humidity, think about your air compressor on a humid day, use the blow gun and it wants to shoot a water mist. A/c works the same way, compress the gas, it heats up, pump it into the condenser and it expands, cooling it and creating water vapor. Look at the back of the unit sometime and see all the water dripping off of it. A lot drips, but a lot gets pushed into your room.
I hope that makes sense.

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 07:01 AM
My unit is a 12000. I know it's too big for the room, but the 5000 I bought wasn't cooling the room at all.

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 07:02 AM
What size dehumidifier do I need to get.

sawinredneck
06-30-2017, 07:09 AM

Hopefully this will help you with that, http://www.dehumidifierweb.com/area-and-performance/

mdhillbilly1
06-30-2017, 07:45 AM
I have a few questions to ask is why do you keep raising and lowering the temperature. This will cause some issues with the humidity. I wanted to ask is the building completely above ground. Is the entire building insulated and what is the total size. I wanted to ask is the moisture from the floor or the walls. What state are you in to know the average weather. Do you notice more moisture during or after a rain storm and is the moisture their year round. I wanted to ask if the walls and floor were pour high pressure concrete with blue foam insulate in the upper concrete done with wall molds. This might seem like a lot, but it will give me some important knowledge to help you.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 08:05 AM
I have a few questions to ask is why do you keep raising and lowering the temperature. This will cause some issues with the humidity. I wanted to ask is the building completely above ground. Is the entire building insulated and what is the total size. I wanted to ask is the moisture from the floor or the walls. What state are you in to know the average weather. Do you notice more moisture during or after a rain storm and is the moisture their year round. I wanted to ask if the walls and floor were pour high pressure concrete with blue foam insulate in the upper concrete done with wall molds. This might seem like a lot, but it will give me some important knowledge to help you.

I work nights so I usually leave the temp set at 70 but when I get home and go in there I turn the temp down to 65. The building is completely above ground. It's a 40x80 shop, but I built a small room that is 10x12x8. Only the small room is insulated, the rest of the shop is not. I haven't seen any moisture forming on the walls or floor. I have no idea what kind of concrete was used. The shop was built in the early 90's. I hope that answers all your questions. Thanks.

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 08:06 AM
Hopefully this will help you with that, http://www.dehumidifierweb.com/area-and-performance/

Thanks for the info

TNsailorman
06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
I had the same problem and solved it with a 52 pint de-humidifier. You will either have to empty the bucket when it gets full or you can run a small hose to the outside to get rid of the water that is removed by the unit. Worked like a charm for me. james

pjames32
06-30-2017, 10:00 AM
Hawgfan-where do you live? That could help us answer. If my guess is correct and you live in the Arkansas area a dehumidifier will probably help your problem. If you live in the desert and use an evaporative cooler for your air conditioning, that could cause the problem.

Wayne Smith
06-30-2017, 10:02 AM
Check outside and see where the water from your AC is draining. If it goes under the floor ...

Also add a location in your information. Southern Florida is different than the high desert and different than central Maine.

lefty o
06-30-2017, 10:17 AM
quit changing the temp for starters. set it and leave it. with the up and down temps comes added moisture.

mdhillbilly1
06-30-2017, 10:51 AM
I work nights so I usually leave the temp set at 70 but when I get home and go in there I turn the temp down to 65. The building is completely above ground. It's a 40x80 shop, but I built a small room that is 10x12x8. Only the small room is insulated, the rest of the shop is not. I haven't seen any moisture forming on the walls or floor. I have no idea what kind of concrete was used. The shop was built in the early 90's. I hope that answers all your questions. Thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------
I hope you have a window AC unit. If you have a floor AC unit that can cause moisture. I suggest to not keep raising and lowering the temperature as this causes moisture issues.

I know the calculations call for a 23 pint unit, but for the reason you are using the dehumidifier I suggest to use a minimum of a 50 Pint unit. I

I personally recommend the Frigidaire 50-Pint 3-Speed Dehumidifier that is Energy Star Rated Model # FFAD5033R1
LOWE'S Item # 581253
$229.99 that comes with a 10 year Limited Warrenty with a 4.5 rating out of 5.

I use this 70 pint unit personally, but it is not rated higher than 1, due to only one review on Lowes.

I just got the Frigidaire 70-Pint 3-Speed Dehumidifier that is Energy Star Rated Model # FFAD7033R1
Lowes Item # 5581253 $269.99

Please be careful as they sell one model that only has a 1 year Limited Warrenty of the 50 & 70 Pint units.
--------------------------------------------------------

No Blue
06-30-2017, 12:27 PM
I'd try running the 5,000 BTU AC on a timer; comes on early morning and runs till maybe midnight. I have an AC that size on a room a little bigger than yours, if I start it early, it will maintain 75F almost all day. But it won't really cool down a hot room, too small.

Running the room air over the cold evaporator will do the same job as the dedicated dehumidifier; water vapor condenses and you get lower humidity.

hawgfan
06-30-2017, 03:09 PM
Sorry didn't add my location. I'm in Arkansas. About 55 miles from Memphis, TN

dragon813gt
06-30-2017, 03:31 PM
An air conditioner is one dehumidifying if it's running. A grossly oversized unit isn't going to dehumidify much to at all. It will knock the temp down but that's it. Get a dehumidifier and be done w/ it.

Personally I'm done w/ dehumidifiers that use refrigeration. But I also work for a company that makes desiccant dehumidifiers. They're cost prohibitive but are better in every sense. I don't expect anyone to consider one since we're talking close to $5k.

mdhillbilly1
06-30-2017, 05:57 PM
An air conditioner is one dehumidifying if it's running. A grossly oversized unit isn't going to dehumidify much to at all. It will knock the temp down but that's it. Get a dehumidifier and be done w/ it.

Personally I'm done w/ dehumidifiers that use refrigeration. But I also work for a company that makes desiccant dehumidifiers. They're cost prohibitive but are better in every sense. I don't expect anyone to consider one since we're talking close to $5k.
My daughter use the powder for her small room. It does work good.

dragon813gt
06-30-2017, 06:22 PM
My daughter use the powder for her small room. It does work good.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a desiccant wheel w/ a regeneration circuit. It's cost prohibitive for most. The containers of desiccant usually don't work well. I'm glad it's working for your daughter.

This is a basic wheel w/ a react circuit.
https://img.tradeindia.com/fp/1/001/721/958.jpg

mdhillbilly1
06-30-2017, 08:03 PM
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about a desiccant wheel w/ a regeneration circuit. It's cost prohibitive for most. The containers of desiccant usually don't work well. I'm glad it's working for your daughter.

This is a basic wheel w/ a react circuit.
https://img.tradeindia.com/fp/1/001/721/958.jpg
I wanted to ask you is the $5,000 the installed price or just the cost of the unit. If you would not mind sharing the website to review more information on the unit including maybe the cost to operate it.

psweigle
06-30-2017, 08:13 PM
As already stated, a dehumidifier will solve most of it. Good luck with it.

hawgfan
07-01-2017, 02:06 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I was at work and couldn't respond. I have a dehumidifier that is rated for 1100 cubic feet. It is a smaller unit, it is a Pure Enrichment Premium Deluxe Mini Dehumidifier. It is a simple model, you just turn it on and leave it, it does have a very small reservoir, I think it has a 27oz tank. Other than empting it all the time, will this one work for the time being. I have been looking at the 30 to 50 pint models, just wasn't sure I needed one that big. If I do end up getting one of the bigger units, what is the ideal humidity level. I think on some of them you can set your humidity percentage level. Thanks again.

hunter49
07-01-2017, 03:06 AM
Your getting moisture from your concrete floor. Install 6mil vapor barrier over concrete, frame raised floor, install nailers between joists where sheathing breaks, insulate between joists if using paper back batt insulation make sure paper faces up into your room. Install a good silicone caulk at entire floor sheathing perimeter where new floor meets wall.

mdhillbilly1
07-01-2017, 04:22 AM
I wanted to ask you is the $5,000 the installed price or just the cost of the unit. If you would not mind sharing the website to 5 more information on the unit including maybe the cost to operate it.

gwpercle
07-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Your getting moisture from your concrete floor. Install 6mil vapor barrier over concrete, frame raised floor, install nailers between joists where sheathing breaks, insulate between joists if using paper back batt insulation make sure paper faces up into your room. Install a good silicone caulk at entire floor sheathing perimeter where new floor meets wall.
Bingo !
If you do not have a vapor barrier between the ground and the concrete...that is where the humidity is coming from and why you have the rusting. Now you will have to seal that concrete some kind of way, the concrete will pass moisture from the ground.
6 mil. visqueen barrier or masonry waterproofing coating might be used...I'm no expert in how to seal it but hunter49 spotted the problem.
I always call for a vapor barrier under garage , carport or storage rooms floor slabs, when you want to inclose one the vapor barrier is there and you don't have a humidity problem.
Good luck with the project and look at using Birchwood Casey Barricade Rust Protectant on your dies and other metal surfaces, it works pretty well for me.
Gary