PDA

View Full Version : Checking My Bees

Reddirt62
06-28-2017, 07:19 PM
Checked my bees today to see if they needed room....until I got tired of messing with the camera...lol Hope this works!

https://youtu.be/GYYvx_Jx1hI

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bedbugbilly
06-28-2017, 09:16 PM
Neat! Looks like you and the bees have a good relationship and they are working hard for you! Enjoyed the video - thanks!

MaryB
06-29-2017, 10:31 PM
Nice! I keep debating if I want to put in a hive. Not much around me for fruit but a ton of clover in my yard plus the farm fields are organic. He rotates between beans/corn/wheat usually...

Reddirt62
06-29-2017, 11:16 PM
Nice! I keep debating if I want to put in a hive. Not much around me for fruit but a ton of clover in my yard plus the farm fields are organic. He rotates between beans/corn/wheat usually...
I started back in the 80 and LOVE it as much today as when I began....you should give it a go.

Love Life
06-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Why Don't you have to wear special clothing? Are the bees that docile? Very cool and thank you for sharing with us!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reddirt62
06-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Why Don't you have to wear special clothing? Are the bees that docile? Very cool and thank you for sharing with us!

I have a jacket I wear when they are being contrary. 😉

runfiverun
06-30-2017, 08:08 PM
if you stay calm around them they stay calm too.

Mary if you have clover the Bees will use it, your honey will taste like clover too.
I try to get honey from my neighbor after they come and get after the lilac bushes all the way down the side of my property.

MaryB
06-30-2017, 11:54 PM
Neighbor has 4 lilacs, raspberries, I have blueberries plus the rest of the garden, organic farmer has a good load of weeds too that bees are attracted to. Might build a hive this fall then next spring look for a small colony. I like the horizontal hive designs with less lifting.

corbinace
07-01-2017, 12:41 AM
You are right on the lifting Mary, that honey gets amazingly heavy.

Love Life
07-01-2017, 07:26 AM
if you stay calm around them they stay calm too.

Mary if you have clover the Bees will use it, your honey will taste like clover too.
I try to get honey from my neighbor after they come and get after the lilac bushes all the way down the side of my property.

Does running around, swatting wildly, and screaming "killer bees!" At the top of your lungs count as being calm?

I find bees fascinating and have been learning what I can. I have a made a serious effort to landscape with bee friendly plants.

pressonregardless
07-01-2017, 07:47 AM
My bees are nice & calm about 99% of the time, problem is that you never know when
that 1% is going to be. One of mine popped me just under the tip of my nose this week,
so I have decided to wear my veil when I check on them from now on.

Mary, the bees will range out for a mile or so in all directions to forage, some say much farther.
Surely they could find plants to feed on in your area. You may also want to consider 8 frame medium
boxes, these will max out at 40-45 # when all frames are capped with honey. Placed on a hive stand
so that your not having to lift from so low down might help, but keep in mind once there is a flow, the boxes
keep going on, most of mine are 6 high now & I have to stand on some 6x6's so that I can handle them.

shaper
07-01-2017, 02:39 PM
Your bees will forage out to 5 miles in all directions.

runfiverun
07-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Does running around, swatting wildly, and screaming "killer bees!" At the top of your lungs count as being calm?

no,,, that'd be a calm fail.

MaryB
07-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Why the horizontal is better. Frames top out at 20 pounds which is about my limit to lift these days if I want to avoid pain. Carried 2 buckets(65 pounds or so) of fermenting beer in the house from the garage and my back is killing me... when I get the brew shed done it will be roll them 6 feet and into the fermenting chamber so less back stress. Plan is to mount a lift system in the fermenting chamber so all I do is hook them up and use electricity to lift!

My bees are nice & calm about 99% of the time, problem is that you never know when
that 1% is going to be. One of mine popped me just under the tip of my nose this week,
so I have decided to wear my veil when I check on them from now on.

Mary, the bees will range out for a mile or so in all directions to forage, some say much farther.
Surely they could find plants to feed on in your area. You may also want to consider 8 frame medium
boxes, these will max out at 40-45 # when all frames are capped with honey. Placed on a hive stand
so that your not having to lift from so low down might help, but keep in mind once there is a flow, the boxes
keep going on, most of mine are 6 high now & I have to stand on some 6x6's so that I can handle them.

MaryB
07-01-2017, 09:44 PM
I have always got along fine with honey bees. If one gets in the house or car I calmly herd it out the door or window.

Parson
07-01-2017, 10:07 PM
Where I once lived in Africa bees were no fun, I know from personal experience. An African once came to the door selling honey, he was covered from head to toe with welts. After the purchase was made he was asked how he dared doing it? The best translation I can give was something like this "if you are man enough you can do it", he knew he could do something the white man couldn't or wouldn't do and he was proud of it and highly respected by all

Reddirt62
07-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Why the horizontal is better. Frames top out at 20 pounds which is about my limit to lift these days if I want to avoid pain. Carried 2 buckets(65 pounds or so) of fermenting beer in the house from the garage and my back is killing me... when I get the brew shed done it will be roll them 6 feet and into the fermenting chamber so less back stress. Plan is to mount a lift system in the fermenting chamber so all I do is hook them up and use electricity to lift!
By horizontal are you talking about a top bar hive? They are more difficult to manage and most do not recommend them for new beeks.

3band53
07-02-2017, 04:53 PM
I tried honeybees one time and it was a great big FAIL!!!! The bees were aggressive and I was a bit afraid of them so I gave them to a beekeeper that lived down the road a ways.

MaryB
07-02-2017, 10:12 PM
Yes, and I will learn. I have to do what I can within my lifting limits!

By horizontal are you talking about a top bar hive? They are more difficult to manage and most do not recommend them for new beeks.

pressonregardless
07-03-2017, 07:23 AM

Mary, then by all means use a top bar hive if weight is an issue for you. As handy as you are you can build one for a lot
less than buying one. I have run both types & don't find the top bar hard at all to work. The only negative in my mind on the TBH design is that you loose comb when you harvest.

MaryB
07-03-2017, 10:27 PM
Yup I have plans for one, I might do some mods to make an easier build(won't change function, just less angle cutting). It uses a lot of 45's where I could use a biscuit joint a lot easier.