PDA

View Full Version : Electronic-in-Ear hearing pro

adam_mac84
06-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Currently indoors or out, I wear squishy plugs and the old standby Howard Leight Impact sport electronic hearing pro.

I basically look at the HL as a speaker that is over my ears to let me hear more things than the squishy plugs alone allow me to (they do offer some protection). But let so much past with eye pro, it seems necessary to double up

I have looked at some of the ProEar items $$$

I have NEVER tried any in-ear electronic hearing pro. Anyone have one that they really like that they feel gives more than adequate protection?

Scharfschuetze
06-29-2017, 12:03 PM
Last year I bought a set of fitted and programable "Sport Ear" electronic ear buds. They have four settings and then volume control with each setting. The settings are for different levels of ambient noise from just highway driving to shooting. The noise cut off works well and as they are hand fitted they stay in the ear well when active. They use a #10 hearing aid battery which gives you about two days worth of power.

Were they worth it? I'm not sure. I still double up with soft ear plugs and muffs at the range, but I do use them for hunting. Were I to buy another set, I'd probably buy the much cheaper set in the link below. It looks like it would do just as good a job at a much more reasonable price.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/711871/sportear-ghoststryke-electronic-ear-plugs-nrr-30-db-pair?cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting%20-%20Ear%20%26%20Eye%20Protection-_-SportEAR-_-711871

I wish I would have had these while I was still on the job. They would have saved a lot of my hearing and probably reduced the level of my Tinitus. Hearing is precious and can't be restored once lost. Don't scrimp on your protection.

Mr Peabody
07-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I wear digital hearing aids. They have the feature that shuts them off when noises reach a certain decibel level. Gunfire reaches that level, while they offer a good buffer for the occasional shot out hunting they don't give you the level of protection you need for being on the range. On the range I take them out and put soft plugs in and muffs over my ears. You can't fix deafness!

tazman
07-07-2017, 10:26 AM
I damaged my hearing with a handgun when I was young and inexperienced. No getting it back now.
I use soft plugs and muffs when I shoot so as to keep what hearing I have left. I always check the ratings on the plugs and muffs to get the best sound level reduction I can.
Ranges are loud places. More so if you shoot near someone with a brake or porting on the barrel.

Smoke4320
07-07-2017, 10:56 AM
I wear digital hearing aids. They have the feature that shuts them off when noises reach a certain decibel level. Gunfire reaches that level, while they offer a good buffer for the occasional shot out hunting they don't give you the level of protection you need for being on the range. On the range I take them out and put soft plugs in and muffs over my ears. You can't fix deafness!

I so deaf now I cant hear what you are typing !!

sure wish they would pass the hearing protection act !!!