PDA

View Full Version : So why is it.

DCP
06-28-2017, 11:01 AM
So why is it. There is a lot of very good Christian on this site. Many are Vets and very patriotic.

So why is it that when 7 Sailors die at sea on the USS Fitzgerald in a tragic accident, only 8 good men stand up and pray for these men and families.

They are obviously sinners

So can anyone tell me why that is?

Preacher Jim
06-28-2017, 11:18 AM
no but I know my whole church is still praying for the families of those sailors and the ones injured

Thundarstick
06-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Because if it isn't posted here it didn't happen?

DCP
06-28-2017, 11:43 AM

What do you mean

Wayne Smith
06-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Many of us pray and don't record it here.

Thundarstick
06-28-2017, 12:03 PM
Ditto

Our whole congregation prayed.

DCP
06-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks guys.

I guess posting for group prayer isn't needed
If you dont want to stand up and be count and just stay in the shadows its just best to keep our prayers on a personal bases

rancher1913
06-28-2017, 12:23 PM

What he said. Touch judgemental arnt you

Preacher Jim
06-28-2017, 12:24 PM
when we post we stand together united in prayer

DCP
06-28-2017, 12:28 PM
What he said. Touch judgemental arnt you

I have judged no one I used to not to participate in group prayer

Its plain enough we need to keep our prayers to God Personal

jmort
06-28-2017, 12:32 PM
Legitimate question
I failed to give the matter proper attention by prayer
I believe it helps to show pray support in threads

Pine Baron
06-28-2017, 12:33 PM
DCP, I believe that the prayer request was outside the Chapel. Some people don't check the entire forum everyday, so it's easy to miss.
However, that being said, I repeat my prayers for the sailors of the "Fitz", and offer condolences to their families.

Boaz
06-28-2017, 12:36 PM
I may not give prayer on a thread but do pray . In the case it could be comforting , reassuring to those asking or affected I think acknowledgement is good even if it is only giving an ..Amen . We have had prayer lines go for months here .

DCP
06-28-2017, 12:42 PM
DCP, I believe that the prayer request was outside the Chapel. Some people don't check the entire forum everyday, so it's easy to miss.
However, that being said, I repeat my prayers for the sailors of the "Fitz", and offer condolences to their families.

It was in the Chapel. Preacher Jim asked me to put it there. You were one of the 8

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?337159-Some-gave-all

Pine Baron
06-28-2017, 12:48 PM
Well, I stand corrected. As to the OP, I don't know.

Thundarstick
06-28-2017, 01:35 PM
We need an emoji for prayers lifted!

I didn't realize is interpreted as a request being ignored if a thread isn't posted to.

What's worse, replying prayers lifted, and not praying, or not posting and lifting prayers? I think that's where I'm coming from.

Ickisrulz
06-28-2017, 01:52 PM
DCP,

Not everyone does everything the same way. Some may make a post saying they will pray, others my post a prayer and others may just simply pray without posting. I fall into the last group and sometimes don't even read the post. I simply offer a short prayer for whatever the issue might be.

toallmy
06-28-2017, 02:16 PM
I am sorry my good man , but I pray in silence most of the time . I am not blessed with a elegant vocal ability but my Lord understands me . At least I hope ,

StolzerandSons
06-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Maybe because of Matthew 6:5-8 some don't post in every prayer thread.

Smoke4320
06-28-2017, 03:12 PM
There are many times I read a prayer request , pray, and do not post
my pastor knows not to have me pray in front of the congregation.. he knows me well enough to honor my request
I Seek no attention from others in my relationship with god

shoot-n-lead
06-28-2017, 03:14 PM
Oh, boy...

DCP...you beat all.

DCP
06-28-2017, 03:38 PM
Every notice how some folks wont be happy if they were hung with a new rope.

We all will be held accountable for what we do or don't do and what we say or don't say.

Blackwater
06-28-2017, 04:34 PM
That's true, DCP, but your assumption that if it wasn't posted it didn't happen is not quite fully discerning. Ever notice how many readings a thread gets, vs. how many posts are made? Many here pray, but don't post, and I think the recipients of these unposted prayers probably appreciate them as much as the ones that ARE posted. It's just reassuring to see them in print, and that's why I often post - just to reassure the requester or requested that their requests are NOT disregarded. We're all a bit agnostic these days, I fear, and if we can't see it, we assume it never happened. But lots and lots of stuff happen here that is never posted. LOTS! So relax a bit, and know that many, especially the one finger typers, often pray, but don't post, and let those who are more adept suffice. There very well may be 10 times the prayers going up, or even more, than are posted. Plus some think that prayers have to be flowery, and they don't believe their vocabulary is quite up to the kind of prayer they WANT to print, so .... they just pray silently, knowing God hears their prayer, and believing that is sufficient.

Much goes on in this world that we don't see, but not seeing it does NOT mean it's not going on. It's just the same way here. That's really all there is to it. But thanks for your concern for these sailors and their families. Death at sea is a particularly lonesome sort of way to go, one that most of us dread. But thank God for those who'll brave the mighty seas, in spite of all that. Like most things dangerous, there's very real beauty out there on the bounding main as well, to ensure that many will continue to sign up for it, despite the dangers and fear. Thank God for young men like this!

DCP
06-28-2017, 05:17 PM
That's true, DCP, but your assumption that if it wasn't posted it didn't happen is not quite fully discerning. Ever notice how many readings a thread gets, vs. how many posts are made? Many here pray, but don't post, and I think the recipients of these unposted prayers probably appreciate them as much as the ones that ARE posted. It's just reassuring to see them in print, and that's why I often post - just to reassure the requester or requested that their requests are NOT disregarded. We're all a bit agnostic these days, I fear, and if we can't see it, we assume it never happened. But lots and lots of stuff happen here that is never posted. LOTS! So relax a bit, and know that many, especially the one finger typers, often pray, but don't post, and let those who are more adept suffice. There very well may be 10 times the prayers going up, or even more, than are posted. Plus some think that prayers have to be flowery, and they don't believe their vocabulary is quite up to the kind of prayer they WANT to print, so .... they just pray silently, knowing God hears their prayer, and believing that is sufficient.

Much goes on in this world that we don't see, but not seeing it does NOT mean it's not going on. It's just the same way here. That's really all there is to it. But thanks for your concern for these sailors and their families. Death at sea is a particularly lonesome sort of way to go, one that most of us dread. But thank God for those who'll brave the mighty seas, in spite of all that. Like most things dangerous, there's very real beauty out there on the bounding main as well, to ensure that many will continue to sign up for it, despite the dangers and fear. Thank God for young men like this!

Dennis

Of course I know that all don't post. This happens all the time.

These men and women who saved the ship and those who gave all need to be honored.
These heroes deserve our respect and much much more

I wanted to know why folks don't post. Boy I found out. Some don't even like being asked the question

If someone doesn't post the thread will die again If someone doesn't post the thread will die.

If I become a villain for asking a question I can live with that and its a very small sacrifice. 7 Sailors wont get that chance.

You know Dennis some folks here just need to cause issues. It doesn't take long to find out who these folks are.

shoot-n-lead
06-28-2017, 11:19 PM
Dennis

Of course I know that all don't post. This happens all the time.

These men and women who saved the ship and those who gave all need to be honored.
These heroes deserve our respect and much much more

I wanted to know why folks don't post. Boy I found out. Some don't even like being asked the question

[B][U]

You know Dennis some folks here just need to cause issues. It doesn't take long to find out who these folks are.

Well, since you are aware of it, why do you do it.

You caused this issue...no one else did.

Bzcraig
06-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Please be careful guys.....finger pointing will end this forum!

BAGTIC
06-29-2017, 01:03 AM
Jesus said to go into your closets and pray in private. Prayer is between the individual and God. It is not for public spectacle in order to impress others.

Bzcraig
06-29-2017, 01:27 AM
There are many kinds of prayer and whether one chooses to post a prayer or pray directly to God upon realizing the prayer need, neither is better or wrong.

Boaz
06-29-2017, 06:38 AM
There are many kinds of prayer and whether one chooses to post a prayer or pray directly to God upon realizing the prayer need, neither is better or wrong.

I agree with this . Prayer is personal , it's up to the individual when , where and how they pray is part of their relationship with GOD .

DCP
06-29-2017, 07:50 AM
Well, since you are aware of it, why do you do it.

You caused this issue...no one else did.

That is easy Question

These men, and all those that came before, and those that will follow, GAVE ALL for US. We can never repay this debt.

We can only honor them with our prayers. Those who answered the call for prayers understand this. These few, are also men of exceptional insight.

You have a great day son

Blackwater
06-29-2017, 05:25 PM
You're no villain, DCP. Not by a long shot! And yes, some folks get agitated too easily. I've done it. You've done it. We've all done it. It just seems to be the way folks are, typically and far too often in our "modern" world today. But we can deal with it. Folks like to argue over "little things" because even if the argument is lost, there's little real loss involved. When they argue big issues, much more CAN be lost, so it's pretty much out of style to argue about the big issues. Everybody seems to be afraid of "losing" at ANYTHING these days, and certainly, of losing something big as opposed to the "little things." And too, I've long noted that the more closely two people agree, the more vehemently they'll argue over the fine points! Seems contradictory, but really, it's just "the human way" these days. Maybe it's always been like this, at least to some degree? But if we argue EFFECTIVELY, we at least improve our own character, and broaden our minds. I know I've argued a point vehemently in the past, and later come to see it more like the other side's view at a later date. Thinking isn't easy. Maybe that's the root of our problems today????

shoot-n-lead
06-29-2017, 07:32 PM
You're no villain, DCP. Not by a long shot! And yes, some folks get agitated too easily. I've done it. You've done it. We've all done it. It just seems to be the way folks are, typically and far too often in our "modern" world today. But we can deal with it. Folks like to argue over "little things" because even if the argument is lost, there's little real loss involved. When they argue big issues, much more CAN be lost, so it's pretty much out of style to argue about the big issues. Everybody seems to be afraid of "losing" at ANYTHING these days, and certainly, of losing something big as opposed to the "little things." And too, I've long noted that the more closely two people agree, the more vehemently they'll argue over the fine points! Seems contradictory, but really, it's just "the human way" these days. Maybe it's always been like this, at least to some degree? But if we argue EFFECTIVELY, we at least improve our own character, and broaden our minds. I know I've argued a point vehemently in the past, and later come to see it more like the other side's view at a later date. Thinking isn't easy. Maybe that's the root of our problems today????

Blackwater, I agree with folks getting agitated, too easily. As evidence of this, look no further than the very reason this thread was started.

Also, people tend to get a little touchy when experiencing groundless chastising.

MaryB
06-29-2017, 08:45 PM
I don't often post in these threads...

I quit believing in organized religion when my church kicked me out for not donating. This was during the 80's recession when jobs were tight and the company I worked for had shut down and I had been without a job for 3 months. Now unemployment will keep you barely alive but you are not getting rich on it... so I wasn't donating due to barely scraping by. And the church KNEW I had lost my job because my ex boss was one of the church elders(it wasn't his fault we closed down, sales were bad across the entire industry and my repair work would pay the rent and my salary but not the rest of the shops salaries. I made an offer on the equipment that he turned down so I was out of work.)

Since that time I pray in private, I do not need to be in some ornate building(that was why they were whining about money) to be with god. As I harvest my garden I give a prayer of thanks for the food from the earth that sustains me all summer. No church can offer that direct connection I get when outdoors.

Preacher Jim
06-29-2017, 08:48 PM
When I went to my first seminary church as a pastor, I called on a Godly old saint to dismiss us in prayer. We all bowed our heads, he slipped out back door. Deacon told me later the old boy did not pray in public. I knew he was a prayer warrior had been in prayer many times with him.
I quietly ask folks if they prayed out loud and made a short list.
That said Dcp you did good to bring this issue up for prayer and those who criticize may be having a guilty reaction. Gentlemen one rule here was no argument in this area.

HATCH
06-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I am posting the following as a member, not as a moderator.

You will NEVER see me put a prayer post up for someone.
You will NEVER see me respond to a prayer post.

This does not mean that I haven't prayed for that person or that I don't pray.
It means that unless your at Church or at the dinner table, at my house prayers are kept to yourself for the most part.

Yes, it is VERY tragic that those sailors lost their lives in a accident that should not of every happened (IMHO).
What is more tragic is that regardless of their situation that we (the few that post in the Chapel) have to argue over who has prayed for them or who hasn't

I am/have been a member of a dozen firearm forums over the years.
Cast Boolits is one of two boards that has had a Chapel or some place for people to post religious posts.
This is because the owner (No_1) believes that there should be a place like this on this board.

Now, putting my moderator hat on

The Chapel is a special place. The moment that it isn't a special place then it will be treated like the PIT.
I prefer that it is always the special place. PLEASE tread lightly in your responses to posts in the Chapel.

Boaz
06-29-2017, 09:44 PM
..I have removed my post . It could be construed as propagating more dissention among members .

No point and no purpose is being served by the negativity on this thread .

DCP
06-29-2017, 10:10 PM
I asked a question Boaz! Thats it.

I DID NOT JUDGE ANYONE Let me repeat! I DID NOT JUDGE ANYONE

I will never ask for prayers again on this site!

Some of these responses are quite amazing

Be careful where you cast stones but I am sure you cant see that.

jmort
06-29-2017, 11:21 PM
People love to condem public prayer, which has occured in this great nation from the beginning. How someone can own a bible and say never pray in public is mystifying. Don't be puffed-up and spout off prayer, that is what was intended. Nothing more.

Jesus Prays to Be Glorified
17 After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:

“Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. 2 For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. 3 Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. 4 I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. 5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

Jesus Prays for His Disciples
6 “I have revealed you[a] to those whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours; you gave them to me and they have obeyed your word. 7 Now they know that everything you have given me comes from you. 8 For I gave them the words you gave me and they accepted them. They knew with certainty that I came from you, and they believed that you sent me. 9 I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. 10 All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of[b] your name, the name you gave me, so that they may be one as we are one. 12 While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by[c] that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled.

13 “I am coming to you now, but I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them. 14 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. 15 My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. 17 Sanctify them by[d] the truth; your word is truth. 18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. 19 For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.

Jesus Prays for All Believers
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one— 23 I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

24 “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[e] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”