PDA

View Full Version : Blackhawk?

EMC45
07-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Just saw a .357 Blackhawk at my local pawnshop. Said if the guy does not come back for it tomorrow I can get it for 250. Good deal? I really want a 44 mag, but I would like one of these too. It is in great shape. Blued 4 5/8 barrel. (that's the one that goes to the end of the ejector right?) Only a little bit of discoloration on the hammer, but the bluing is perfect. Nice tight lock up everything else is good. Let me know, Thanks.:-D

targetshootr
07-25-2008, 04:48 PM
Is it an old model 357? If it is I'll swap you a 44 mag for it.

Gungrubber
07-25-2008, 04:49 PM
grab it you'll like it.

250 ain't bad nowadays for a good blackhawk.

GG

danski26
07-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I paid $200 for a blackhawk 357 that had problems recently......$250 is a good price for my neck of the woods.

EMC45
07-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I Blue Booked it and it does appear to be a good deal! It is a newer one, but not the Flat Top. It is also not a three screw. I do believe I'll get it tomorrow if the old boy doesn't call back.

Buckshot
07-26-2008, 03:01 AM
...............I think I paid that much for mine in 1980! :-) Mine has the 4-5/8" bbl also. It's what I carried whenever we went riding. It's spend many a mile in it's holster 8-). The front end of the aluminum ejector rod housing is all shiny white and rounded. The bluing is gone or thin half way back down the barrel. Outsides of the cylinder and recoil shields is worn off, along with the front of the frame edges. Still shoots well.

................Buckshot

EMC45
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
I got it! It is in real good shape. Not perfect, but not abused. $250 OTD!!! The wife even says it's "beautiful".http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/102_1772.jpg

Swagerman
07-26-2008, 06:31 PM
EMC45, you got a real good deal there, glad its yours now.

Buckshot, you could check with Ruger, I'm positive they'll reblue your .357 Blackhawk for very little moola. Then she'll look real pretty and shoot good as ever.

Jim

Gungrubber
07-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Very nice EMC45

you Really got a good deal.

I picked up it's big brother about 5 yrs back for the same price

this is why I love Blackhawks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/jap99/Photo0033.jpg

GG

Ben Dover
07-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Nicely done EMC45, now save up and get a treat for the wife. Then you can pursue aquiring the 44. Ben

EMC45
07-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Well just took it out to the range and before I even got there MGD45 and I were surrounded by wild rabbits!!! There were 7 circling the van we were in! No Joke! It was the darnedest thing I ever saw. So we commenced to taking potshots at the buggers. MGD45 popped one with a snub S&W Airweight with a 125 gr Gold Dot HP. He then followed him into the woods and busted him good! Well we continued down the trail and I got one as well. It took 4 shots to tag him. I was pretty pumped up so I had to concentrate. Got a head shot and it exited his ribcage. Shot him with a 38 Spec. 158gr. Lee RNFP over 3gr. Bullseye. Also while walking to the range I jumped a deer! We were surrounded!http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/102_1778.jpghttp://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm243/Evansguns/cid__0726081922.jpg

EMC45
07-26-2008, 09:22 PM
Just to add, I shot at several and missed[smilie=1: I chalk it up as being a new gun:-D

Sprue
07-26-2008, 09:34 PM
Rabbit Season doesn't come in around here till November, likewise for Deer.

EMC45
07-26-2008, 10:15 PM
We weren't hunting, just ridding the area of some pests.

waksupi
07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Rabbit season is open year round many states in the west. Just ain't worth eating, most months.

Buckshot
07-27-2008, 02:26 AM
...............Sounds like you guys had a blast :-) Nothing like moving targets.

Swagerman, "Buckshot, you could check with Ruger, I'm positive they'll reblue your .357 Blackhawk for very little moola. Then she'll look real pretty and shoot good as ever."

Jim

Well, I wouldn't want to do that really. All that wear has a bit of meaning for me, and it looks kind of salty.

9.3X62AL
07-27-2008, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;370790 All that wear has a bit of meaning for me, and it looks kind of salty.[/QUOTE]

Consistent with its owner/operator, I'm bound to say. :)

EMC, that's a real good price on a very fine revolver. Our cottontail season opened on July 1 here, runs 'til the end of January. Jackrabbits are year-round/no-limit, and tend to attract both castings and redcoats with some frequency from yours truly. When I was a teenager, I used to eat a LOT of cottontails--as the late Skeeter Skelton once said about that critter, I ate so much of it that every time I stopped moving I started sitting down simultaneously. Poor form, that.

EMC45
07-27-2008, 08:02 AM
In most places they are looked on as a pest. That is the most I've seen in one area in a while though!

Dale53
07-27-2008, 11:02 AM
The cottontail rabbit in Ohio is one of the most hunted animals here. The season opens in the fall (Nov 7) and closes Feb 28. They provide quite tasty meals (there is plenty for them to eat and grow fat in this area) and a good bit of sport. Early on, I learned to stalk them with a revolver. Now, THERE is good sport. Of course, you have to be aware of the background for safety reasons but you can crow to your buddies about only having one hole in your rabbits and NO shot in the meat (I'm not above that[smilie=1:) and you will realize a somewhat smaller bag. However, our bag limit is four per day. Getting two with a revolver just flat leaves a smile on my face whether or not I could have done better with a shotgun. After all, "shotguns are for sissies":mrgreen::mrgreen:.

One of the real down sides we have been faced with the past several years - after the coyote invasion, there are far fewer rabbits to be seen (along with ground hogs, etc. That coupled with the present crop of farmers of plowing all of the cover under in an attempt to make a living has really reduced the numbers of most small game.:( Not knocking the farmers (they have to eat, too), just sad because it is happening.

Terrific buy on the .357 Ruger - you will find a Ruger to be a VERY nice piece and durable almost beyond belief. Congratulations.

Dale53

Thumbcocker
07-27-2008, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Dale53;370884]n. After all, "shotguns are for sissies":mrgreen::mrgreen:.

I refer to them as "unrifled horrations" just to get the bird hunter/ trapshooters blood pressure up.

Dale53
07-27-2008, 05:34 PM
I just did that to rattle the cages of my friends:mrgreen:. I have done a great deal of trapshooting (including at Vandalia, OH) and skeet shooting in the local county at several venues. I have also done my share of bird hunting (hunting quail is gentlemen's shooting at it's best), hunting ducks from a two man kayak is definitely a superior way to "DO IT", and grouse hunting in Eastern Ohio is extremely physically demanding but also quite satisfying. So, I can say what I wish:mrgreen: as I have certainly paid my dues.

Unfortunately, shotgunning is no more for me with my vision problems. Just not possible. However, my pistol skills remain pretty dern good thanks to Red Dot sights and fine pistols and revolvers. I can still shoot a rifle off the bench, also. So, NO bitchin' from me, thank you. I give thanks everyday for what I DO have and that's a bunch!

FWIW, this forum plays no small part in the above...thanks to all of you.

Dale53

MGD 45
07-27-2008, 06:48 PM
EMC- We had a blast last night huh?! :drinks:

We both felt like Elmer Fudd...."SShhhh....we're huntin wabbits...." :Fire:

Hey the rabbits are just natures way of providing movable, pop up, biodegrabable targets....heh..heh..heh

PS: Shooting a Speer Gold-Dot hollow point from s snubby w/o ear protection really sucks.....only made that mistake once before putting on the old earmuffs!! [smilie=1:

EMC45
07-27-2008, 09:44 PM
MGD We are gonna have to walk that same path with some rimfire handguns and see what we got!