PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Easy Melt

pdgh59
06-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Hi, I am thinking about purchasing an RCBS Easy Melt. I would appreciate any feedback from users. I prefer using a ladle.

TexasGrunt
06-27-2017, 05:55 PM
I don't think you'll get much feedback since it's not yet been released.

Smoke4320
06-27-2017, 06:59 PM
I can't even find a site with a expected delivery date

gpidaho
06-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Just bought my first non-bottom pour pot. I rarely ladle cast but I got tired of having handle and linkage in the way when I do. The Lee magnum melter is not only inexpensive , it works just fine. So, now it joins my Rcbs Pro-melt and my Lyman Mag 20. Gp

pdgh59
06-27-2017, 08:41 PM
The Easy Melt is being shown as available for delivery from some dealers here in Australia.

gpidaho
06-27-2017, 08:56 PM
Looks like a good pot. Mid-South doesn't have them in yet but list them at a fair price. Gp

OS OK
06-27-2017, 09:47 PM
I wonder where they put the probe?

Smk SHoe
06-28-2017, 05:48 PM
I had to replace a Lee Pro 4-20 this week with another Pro 4-20. Told myself when the Lee died was moving up to a RCBS but since they haven't released them yet, I couldn't wait. Only 62$ at brownell's with free shipping. Happened the day before I was planning on casting all morning since the temp was suppose to be 58 degrees at 0600hrs. Don't get many nice cool mornings in North Carolina during the summer. ( and of course, Mail lady just dropped off a new NOE mold 502-383-RF to feed a new .50 Beowoulf AR build)

Walks
07-04-2017, 12:41 PM
I talked to RCBS in May. Even they hadn't seen them yet. I guess they're coming on that proverbial "slow boat FROM china".

jmort
07-04-2017, 12:55 PM
I talked to RCBS in May. Even they hadn't seen them yet. I guess they're coming on that proverbial "slow boat FROM china".

Look what happened to Lyman when they went for the China melter, it was on that same slow boat. That was the slowest roll-out ever and RCBS is vying for the title. Why not sell out to China, built in PID and a heating element and a pot. Not much to it.

retrobass
11-28-2017, 06:46 AM
Preordered from Brownells with their 11% discount code. Rebate for 25 bucks has to be received by Jan 31; I will cancel order if pot doesn’t ship before then. I could use this to ‘smelt’ a few ingots of wheel weights between a load of laundry every day :D

Greg S
11-28-2017, 10:14 AM
I've got a Lee 20 pounder I laddle out of and an RCBS. Prefer the laddle method, perticularly on the larger boolits. Still learning pressure casting with the RCBS without getting it all over the place, lol.

I like the control of the laddle but the convienance of the bottom pour in not having to skim the melt halfway through when laddle casting. A PID greatly smooths out the heat cycle of the Lee pot though.

gwpercle
11-28-2017, 08:26 PM
Just bought my first non-bottom pour pot. I rarely ladle cast but I got tired of having handle and linkage in the way when I do. The Lee magnum melter is not only inexpensive , it works just fine. So, now it joins my Rcbs Pro-melt and my Lyman Mag 20. Gp

Agree 100% . The Lee Magnum Melter with that 20 lb. capacity is a ladle casters delight.
After getting mine and a new Lyman ladle (my 50 year old ladle handle was too short) I sent another member my bottom pour pot, he had lost his in a house fire and wanted it.
It is surprising how fast the Lee pot melts and gets the metal up to temperature.
Gary

2011redrider
03-21-2018, 09:05 PM
I see Midway just got them in, no Pro Melt yet. On sale right now for 109.99 and free shipping thru the 22nd. Rebates too.

D Crockett
03-21-2018, 09:24 PM
could someone please post a picture of one I would like to see what it looks like D Crockett

2011redrider
03-21-2018, 09:27 PM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/868436/rcbs-easy-melt-furnace-120-volt

this is the latest picture on Midway, dont think anyone has taken delivery on one yet.

Skooterr
03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
When did the Easy Melt become available at Midway? I check on the Pro Melt 2 at Midway several times a day, hope the availability of the EM is a prelude of the PM2's release to the masses!!! Conveniently the RCBS current rebate ends on 3/31.

jmort
03-22-2018, 10:29 AM
If you afford it, avoid this china carp and get a Waage

2011redrider
03-22-2018, 10:37 AM
When did the Easy Melt become available at Midway? I check on the Pro Melt 2 at Midway several times a day, hope the availability of the EM is a prelude of the PM2's release to the masses!!! Conveniently the RCBS current rebate ends on 3/31.
I got an email from Midway on the 20th that the Easy Melt was in stock. Talked to RCBS about 2 weeks ago and they claimed both units were enroute to them for final testing before distrbution to retailers. Seems the new Pro Melt will be released very soon.

jmort
03-22-2018, 10:47 AM
It is not a new Pro Melt
It is the China Special
There is no comparison

RMc
03-22-2018, 11:14 AM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/868436/rcbs-easy-melt-furnace-120-volt

this is the latest picture on Midway, dont think anyone has taken delivery on one yet.

Interesting.

Since this discussion revolves around Ladle Casting, does anyone here have experience with Rowell Bottom Pour Ladles?

https://www.advancecarmover.com/images/rowell.pdf

country gent
03-22-2018, 01:44 PM
I have a #1 rowel ladle I use on occasion. A good ladle that pours from the bottom. very good and works great. The only draw backs are 1) The #1 is the smallest and holds 1lb of lead roughly. This can be tiring over a long session. 2) the handle is longer than most giving the weight more leverage on your wrist. 3) Do to the desighn of the spout and ladle pressure pouring isn't an option.

winelover
03-23-2018, 06:54 AM
I have a #1 rowel ladle I use on occasion. A good ladle that pours from the bottom. very good and works great. The only draw backs are 1) The #1 is the smallest and holds 1lb of lead roughly. This can be tiring over a long session. 2) the handle is longer than most giving the weight more leverage on your wrist. 3) Do to the desighn of the spout and ladle pressure pouring isn't an option.

I just tried ladle casting, the other day, after 40 years of bottom pouring. I too thought the Rowell #1 was the way to go but was convinced by Cbrick to get the #2 to use in my Pro-Melt. It is the largest that will fit in the Pro-Melt, it's tight but doable.

Yes, all the Rowell ladle handles are long, but that can be remedied with a hack saw and a threading die. I cut mine down to 12" for better balance. No need to pressure cast when you have nearly two pounds of lead flowing out of that ladle......plenty of head pressure available.

BTW, I just ordered the RCBS Easy Melt from Midway. In stock at $109, with free shipping and a $25 rebate............couldn't pass it up. Will be used, strictly for the occasional ladle casting session. Suppose to be here, mid-week.

Winelover

Chill Wills
03-23-2018, 08:42 AM
I just tried ladle casting, the other day, after 40 years of bottom pouring. I too thought the Rowell #1 was the way to go but was convinced by Cbrick to get the #2 to use in my Pro-Melt. It is the largest that will fit in the Pro-Melt, it's tight but doable.

Yes, all the Rowell ladle handles are long, but that can be remedied with a hack saw and a threading die. I cut mine down to 12" for better balance. No need to pressure cast when you have nearly two pounds of lead flowing out of that ladle......plenty of head pressure available.
Winelover

Boy, We have very different experiences. I have a #1 and a #5, 20 plus years. (good for pouring ingots) For casting large BPCR bullets, I like the RCBS and Lyman dippers and value the fact that the dipper spout mates to the mold top plate so well. I get perfect results. For me the Rowell just complicates making good bullets and I understand other people my prefer the Rowell. There are a lot of right ways to do something.

That RCBS easy Melt sure looks like it would be a nice addition to my collection of pots. I have one for each alloy I use. I also like the idea that the capacity is 25 pounds.

winelover
03-29-2018, 07:36 AM
The new Easy Melt, arrived mid week. Got a couple of casting sessions in, since then.

The #2 Rowell ladle fits with room to spare.

The PID, once set, fluctuates less then the Lyman Mag 25, I also own. The Lyman varies about ten degrees, while the RCBS by less than two. Neither furnace has a on/off switch. RCBS manual states not to operate the furnace with less than one inch of lead inside......and not to unplug it until the temperature is down to 160 degrees. Set the PID to 0000 to shut the heating element off, but allow the cooling fan to run. Lyman makes no mention of this in their owner's manual.

The Lyman pot is painted steel, while the RCBS is bright metal, like the older Pro-Melt.

Took a little over half hour to melt 20 pounds of alloy, I had in it from the previous casting session. My 220V Pro-melt will beat this by half. After the session was over, it took several hours for the pot to reach the unplugging temperature of 160 degrees. I ran it in my garage, with the door open, air temp was @ 60 degrees.

Overall, I like it.

Winelover