View Full Version : Anybody have experience with a Gibbs African Hunter?

Archibald
06-27-2017, 12:47 AM
https://marstar.ca/dynamic/product.jsp?productid=75932

I m thinking of buying this big bore .72 caliber rifle. Do any of you guys have one and care to share your experience with it? I can't find much info on the rifle through online searches.

Thanks.

Boz330
06-27-2017, 09:45 AM
I shoot one of the target rifles and it is much more accurate than the nut behind the butt. That should be a thumper on both ends. Looks like a RB twist. The only problem I see is if you are going to use it for hunting, there is no integrated ram rod. Carrying a rod to load with would be a pain to say the least. I guess if you are going to Africa you would have a gun bearer though.:roll:

Bob

Archibald
06-27-2017, 11:52 AM
I plan on moose hunting in Newfoundland with it. I go back every fall for the hunt.

I guess I would have to build a ram rod. Maybe a hardwood dowel with a 50bmg brass end for the pushing? The base for that case is .804 so I could turn it down to about .70 to make it fit the bore. It wouldn't be very convenient to carry a ram rod separate though that's for sure.

When you say you shot one of the target rifles, are you saying there are different variations of this same Gibbs African?

Tatume
06-27-2017, 12:31 PM
Hello Archy,

I hunt with a similar rifle made for me by Steve Zihn. It is patterned after a Rigby, and is a one-ounce gun (66 caliber). The only thing I use my wooden ram rod for is cleaning in the field. Loading is done with an aluminum range rod. Reloading when hunting is academic; these big guns kill like lightning. Here's my rifle:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?161519-Rigby-hunting-rifle

pietro
06-27-2017, 02:06 PM

FWIW, I used to carry an H&R Huntsman muzzleloader's telescoping/collapsible ramrod atop my haversack while hunting.

Today, there's a commercial version readily available: http://www.gunadapters.com/ramrod-collapsible/

varsity07840
06-27-2017, 02:09 PM
I plan on moose hunting in Newfoundland with it. I go back every fall for the hunt.

I guess I would have to build a ram rod. Maybe a hardwood dowel with a 50bmg brass end for the pushing? The base for that case is .804 so I could turn it down to about .70 to make it fit the bore. It wouldn't be very convenient to carry a ram rod separate though that's for sure.

When you say you shot one of the target rifles, are you saying there are different variations of this same Gibbs African?

You will in all likelihood break that dowel and put the splinter end through your hand. Buy a ramrod.

Archibald
06-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Ok good info. Thanks. I would still like to hear from anybody who has this specific rifle though. For example, how much powder behind that round ball? What kind of accuracy should I expect? I hear the manual is very conservative with thier recommended load

varsity07840
06-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Ok good info. Thanks. I would still like to hear from anybody who has this specific rifle though. For example, how much powder behind that round ball? What kind of accuracy should I expect? I hear the manual is very conservative with thier recommended load

I shoot a .72 flinter fullstock in what I would term as an American Jaeger style. It has a 30" x 1 1/4" straight barrel with Forsythe
rifling. My hunting load is 150 gr. of GOEX 2F behind a lubed 12 ga cushion wad and a .018 patched .710 ball. Recoil is not excessive.

Boz330
06-28-2017, 04:31 PM

It is a Gibbs Target rifle (45cal) looks the same except heavier and isn't called African. Pedersoli makes some fine firearms.

Bob

Pavia
06-28-2017, 04:51 PM
You can shoot a Brown Bess all day long with 90gr FFg so this may not be too bad. You could use a Bess ramrod and cleaning jags too.

06-28-2017, 04:59 PM
No accommodation for a ram rod? I'd make a walking stick from a durable material that would do double duty. Well, triple duty, as I use one as a monopod to assist in shooting. YMMV

Pavia
06-28-2017, 05:05 PM
You guys never use your factory ramrod anyway... lol

Archibald
06-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Brown Bess cleaning rod. I will look into that. I am pretty close to making this purchase. Do you think my copper powder funnel with the various spouts could do the job for loading in the field?

https://www.marstar.ca/dynamic/category.jsp?catid=75224

Pavia
06-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Certainly is unique. Would give a moose a bad day. The twist sounds like RB are appropriate. Maybe a .715 patched ball?