PDA

View Full Version : Glock Grip Length Chopped

Lefty Red
06-26-2017, 06:26 AM
Anyone knows a good gunsmith that cuts Glock 19/17/23/22 down to G26/27 length to take the Baby Glock mags?

I have seen the videos, but don't want to risk it.

Lefty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HATCH
06-26-2017, 06:42 AM
http://m.coldborecustom.com/?url=http://www%2Ecoldborecustom%2Ecom%2Fservices%2Ehtml

jmort
06-26-2017, 07:56 AM
https://robarguns.com/custom-weapons/handguns/custom-glocks/

Hickory
06-26-2017, 08:20 AM
After reading the gunsmith services that are offered for a Glock, makes me wonder why you'd buy one if there are so many things that need changed or fixed?

HATCH
06-26-2017, 08:56 AM
There are just as many for a 1911

475AR
06-26-2017, 10:26 AM
Anyone knows a good gunsmith that cuts Glock 19/17/23/22 down to G26/27 length to take the Baby Glock mags?

I have seen the videos, but don't want to risk it.

Lefty

+1 for Coldbore Customs, Lane does great work. I had him chop a G21 frame to take G30 mags and love it kind of a Glock "CCO" (Concealed Carry Officers 1911)
Here it is with a 50GI slide on it and yes it shoots great, I wish Guncrafters would produce a G30 size 50GI but I digress. I also had Lane do his grip reduction and stippling on it and love the feel and size of the grip. Lanes $ are fair as well (to me at least) but be please note he is a one man shop and also is a full time law enforcement officer, so depending on his schedule may take abit longer than others to turn it around. I have found if you email him he will respond with an update on the work.

Lefty Red
06-26-2017, 12:56 PM
http://m.coldborecustom.com/?url=http://www%2Ecoldborecustom%2Ecom%2Fservices%2Ehtml

Man, that's a Glock Fan Boy's drive thru menu of Happy Meals!!!!

Thank you HATCH.

BYW, yes I did do a GOOGLE search but all o kept coming up with was how to do it videos. And I wanted to some guidance from members and see if a member here did the services.

Lefty

Lefty Red
06-26-2017, 01:21 PM
After reading the gunsmith services that are offered for a Glock, makes me wonder why you'd buy one if there are so many things that need changed or fixed?

It pains me to no end to say this, but nothing wrong with a stock Glock! I harbor no like for the company's policy or Gaston. But there is nothing wrong with the Glock pistols Like any other "sect" of pistols, it has a fan base that wants to make the ugly hunk of polymer stand out. And with the Glock so easily modified and maintained, a whole economy of aftermarket drop on parts have emerged.

Only thing a Glock needs is a set of sights, ammo, and range time. Like majority of pistols out there.

I just like the way the grip of the G26/27/33 conceals. Want that ease of concealment with a longer sight radius and barrel. And with the way the prices on 40S&W Glocks are dropping, it almost pays for itself to have the grip chop done. I finally got to shoot a G34 that was cut down to a G19 and a G17 that was chopped down to a G26. Really impressed with the modification. Never thought the G26 was hard to control or had too much rise for a follow up shot, but the added weight and length of the G17 slide had me shooting better doubles and moving to multiple targets. A very noticeable difference and one I think is worth looking into.

Lefty

Lefty Red
06-26-2017, 01:23 PM
+1 for Coldbore Customs, Lane does great work. I had him chop a G21 frame to take G30 mags and love it kind of a Glock "CCO" (Concealed Carry Officers 1911)
Here it is with a 50GI slide on it and yes it shoots great, I wish Guncrafters would produce a G30 size 50GI but I digress. I also had Lane do his grip reduction and stippling on it and love the feel and size of the grip. Lanes $ are fair as well (to me at least) but be please note he is a one man shop and also is a full time law enforcement officer, so depending on his schedule may take abit longer than others to turn it around. I have found if you email him he will respond with an update on the work.

I shot one of his 50GI conversions! Awesome work!

Lefty

FergusonTO35
06-26-2017, 11:16 PM
Centerfire Systems had a load of high mileage Glock 17's and 22's awhile back. On many of them the most worn part was the lower part of the grip, I guess from banging into things and rubbing against a patrol car seat. One of those would be a good grip chop candidate.

HATCH
06-26-2017, 11:22 PM
They don't have them now.
I wouldn't mind a 17. I would trade my 22 2nd gen for the same in a 17 and then do a 17->19 grip reduction.
Let me know who you go with.

Walkingwolf
06-27-2017, 12:19 AM
There are just as many for a 1911

But a 1911 is not perfect, until the owner makes it perfect. Glocks are supposed to be perfect out of the box.

Lefty Red
06-27-2017, 06:20 AM
They don't have them now.
I wouldn't mind a 17. I would trade my 22 2nd gen for the same in a 17 and then do a 17->19 grip reduction.
Let me know who you go with.

Will do!

I really miss my Gen2 17! That was such a sweet trigger on a stock Glock. Much better than the triggers on the Gen4 ones, IMHO.

Lefty

dragon813gt
06-27-2017, 06:25 AM
But a 1911 is not perfect, until the owner makes it perfect. Glocks are supposed to be perfect out of the box.

You don't have to do anything to make them shoot. Buy one and it shoots right out of the box. Nothing you do to it after that point is like modifying a vehicle.

Dan Cash
06-27-2017, 07:59 AM

The most perfect 1911 that I own, of several, is a 1914 vintage pistol. It is still as issued save for replacement of worn parts with military issue items. Most of the other 1911s which I own have been modified to reflect that old war horse. Extended safety and slide stop are the first to go on more "modern" pistols if they are for using and not just looking.

I have tried to get into Glocks so I could cut and carve on them as the OP wants to do but when I pick one of them up, the urge leaves me.

bpatterson84
06-27-2017, 08:01 AM
I've done a couple grip reductions, pretty easy work. Dremel, file and very fine sandpapers and you're done, probably 30min of work.

deepwater
06-28-2017, 10:47 AM
Excellent smith. Look at all of the videos.

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/glock-customizing/

Geezer in NH
07-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Note this was a Glock thread till the 1911 folks went of topic. :hijack:

HATCH
07-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Still looks pretty close to topic except for your post. Haha

Lefty what you gonna do?
Do it yourself ?

Lefty Red
07-03-2017, 03:55 PM
LOL! Sorry been packing for a move.

I think I'm going to chop it myself, but went a different route........

I found a Gen2 G22, LEO Trade in, that is in decent shape but has been used enough and that it's not a "collector" and I won't worry about dinging it while carrying it. Plus now I don't have to worry about the finger grooves! Going to chop it to a G23 grip length and use it for carry. Everyone I talked to said it was way easier to chop to a G23 length instead of the G27 length due to the shorter G27 having to have a "hump" left on the back for a smoother magazine change.

Lefty

W.R.Buchanan
07-03-2017, 04:01 PM
Not a fan of the short grip Glocks myself and I have a G36 but use the Pearce Mag extensions on it so I can get all 3 fingers on the grip. I shoot it much better like that.

I managed to get to shoot my new G23 yesterday when I butted into a National Match shoot at my range. With two hands on the gun I was able to hit the 12x12 target every time (20 shots) from 25 yards which I consider to be more than acceptable Defensive Pistol Accuracy. (two timed 10 shot strings at 20 seconds each.)

I also shot my Kimber Carry Pro double stack. It sucked outright and shot 12" low at 25 with both of my standard .45 ACP loads. With fixed sights and rounds all over the place it was obvious why the cop sold it to me. I was shooting off a rest and an 8" 5 shot group at 25 yards was not what I was looking for. Three of them in a row along with numerous malfunctions confirmed the reason why Kimber no longer offers that model.

Any way it is probably going down the road. And I can buy a G19 barrel for my G23 for shooting cheap 9MM ammo with the money.

With 4 Glocks I am pretty much a Glock guy with auto pistols.

Randy

Greg S
07-04-2017, 01:48 AM
In full disclosure I'm a 1911 fan; but, I do own a few Glocks (19 & 20). The problem I had with the glock is pointability, every time I blindly pointed it it was aimed at the sky when my eyes found the sights. Too many years or 1911s and muscle memory. That said, I reduced the grip hump rather nicely myself on the 19 and the 20 is a RTF or whatever. I got the basic idea from CBC and used his technique, the remelted the cut outs to fill in the grip and stippled it. No paint. I was looking at a chopped magwell on a full sized 17 to add to it but ended up going with a 5.25" XDM for a full sized polimer in 9mm. CBC has been doing these grip mods for years and never heard of a disatisfied customer.

Lefty Red
07-04-2017, 07:57 AM
Note this was a Glock thread till the 1911 folks went of topic. :hijack:

The 1911 is such a classic and the standard by which all others are judged. So no wonder it gets brought up and hi jack threads all the time.

I'm going to start a thread about 1911s in a short bit. Wanting to know a few things and post some observations over the years. Looking forward to everyone's input!

Lefty

Lefty Red
07-04-2017, 08:07 AM
Excellent smith. Look at all of the videos.

http://www.tacticalshooting.com/glock-customizing/

Beauty work! Pricey, but I am sure he is worth every penny. Thank you for the link.

I'm just wanting a frame length cut down and the trigger guard undercut. I never liked stippling on Glocks. And I have a very good gentlemen locally they will do stippling if I feel the need.

Lefty