PDA

View Full Version : Great books to read.

Bazoo
06-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Was looking through the overpriced stuff at my local goodwill today and I ran across a 1970 edition of "Shots at whitetails" by Lawrence Koller. Never heard of it, but I could tell right off it was heck of a find for 2.00.

Got me to thinking, what does everyone else have on their shelf?

Others I have read that I enjoyed include

Bear tales for the ages, Larry Kaniut
Cheating death, Kaniut
Strategic Relocation, Joel Skousen
The Final Frontiersman, Campbell. This was about Heimo and Edna Korth of The ANWR In AK
One mans Wilderness, Keith
Call of the American Wild, Guy Grieve

Still working on, Modern whitetail hunting by Hanback, Bear tales of AK By Kaniut, and Where white men fear to tread By Russell Means.

Im looking to get a copy of Sixguns, Hell I was there, Firearms tools and traps of the mountain men by Carl Russell, along with a few others.

So what do yall read or suggest?

Thanks

~Bazoo

MT Gianni
06-24-2017, 09:38 PM
The silence of the North by Olive A Fredrickson., Tough trip through Paradise, Andrew Garcia, Mike Lupinski's books on elk hunting, Coronados Children & The Mexico I like by J Frank Dobie. Also I'll tell you a tale and Apache Gold and Yaqui Silver by same. Read of the three or four books by Howard Copenhaver and Bud Cheff wrote a couple as well.

Dryball
06-25-2017, 01:19 AM
Pioneer Life or 30 Years a Hunter by Phillip Tomme. It's a great, easy to read book about the area where I live

wildwilly
06-25-2017, 02:37 AM
I'm into anything written by David McCullough & Joseph Wambaugh.

Geezer in NH
06-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Series of books Osa Johnson Stories of the couple who first photographed Africa and South Pacific. Great historical adventure. circa 1930's

American classics by Kenneth Roberts Start with the northwest passage.

Bazoo
06-25-2017, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions all. I'll have to chase down some of those. I really like books set, and pertaining to adventures in the NW and Ak from the period of about 1890 to about the 1970s. But I like just about anything about adventure, the outdoors, and of course, guns.

jonp
06-25-2017, 05:03 PM
Tall Trees, Tough Men by Robert E. Pike Stories of logging in 1800- early 1900's Northern New England. Great stories and interesting to me as I know the locations well that he tells stories of like Big Diamond, Hell Gate, 1'st Connecticut Lake, Mooslookmeguntic Lake etc.. The language he uses makes me laugh because that is how we speak up there. "She's quite a rig", "Great blushing Geranium"! lol

He has a couple of other ones out of print that I have at my hunting camp. Spiked Boots is one. If you read it and don't think there are really people out there like that I grew up with them. People up near the border really do think like that or used to.

Gewehr-Guy
06-25-2017, 11:25 PM
Some recent favorites of mine are the Encyclopedia Of Buffalo Hunters And Skinners, by Leo Remiger,Miles Gilbert and Sharon Cunningham. Also a book on polar exploration, FARTHEST NORTH , by Fridtjof Nansen , first written in 1897. Another good read is Documenting the Weapons Used at theLittle Bighorn, by Wendell Grangaard, a book that gives a history of individual firearms used in the battle or taken from soldiers, as told by the Warriors who took them, a very interesting book if you are into the Indian Wars

Bazoo
06-25-2017, 11:34 PM
GG, that does sound interesting. I like anything that is from the indians point of view, as im Chippewa.

Rufus Krile
06-25-2017, 11:48 PM
African Game Trails, by T Roosevelt... Lone Star, by T.R. Fehrenbach... The Works of Kipling, ol' Rudyard hisself.

xs11jack
06-26-2017, 07:50 PM
Just was given a new copy of Jeff Cooper's "To ride, Shoot straight, and speak the truth" I also was given a while back Jeff's book The Rifle in hard cover. "Joe Meek, The merry mountain man" by Stanley Vestal, American Gun by Chris Kyle. "A Pariot's History of the United States" by Larry Schweikart and Michael Allen.
Ole Jack

JBinMN
06-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Life or 30 Years a Hunter by Phillip Tomme. It's a great, easy to read book about the area where I live

Here is an online .PDF file for any who might want to read this....
https://archive.org/details/pioneerlifeorthi00tome

If anyone wants to find online versions ( sometimes downloadable too) just copy & paste the title & author in your search engine, add the search term [.pdf] without the brackets [ ] to it & try that. I find a lot of books that way.
;)

G'Luck!
:)

bruce drake
06-26-2017, 09:08 PM
a huge selection of free audio books for those of us who like to listen to books while we are in the workshops

https://librivox.org/search?primary_key=0&search_category=genre&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Bent Ramrod
06-26-2017, 09:59 PM
When I was a kid, Russell Annabel used to write for Sports Afield. His stories mostly divided between his adventures of a young kid in Alaska, in training for a life in the outdoors under the tutelage of an old sourdough, and his later adventures as an older man, working as a game guide in Mexico. He also did stories about animals in those regions, and their interactions with humans, including himself.

Safari Press brought out all Annabel's stuff in four or five volumes maybe 15 years ago, and I bought them all with some misgivings, as by then I'd noticed that a lot of stuff one liked in one's youth doesn't quite make it when gone over again in adulthood. But I found I liked his stories just as much as when I was a kid in the barber shop, waiting for a haircut.

Some people say Annabel drew a long bow, stretching reality for the sake of a good story. I say, well, good for him; that's what storytellers do, and he did it very well.

beezapilot
06-28-2017, 06:59 PM
I do read a lot.
Robert Ruark is a favorite- great hunting stories, and "Something of Value" "The Old Man and The Boy" are just a fantastic reads.
Jim Harrison (recently passed) wrote a wide variety of great books- the most famous being "Legends of the Fall"
Vardis Fisher's "Mountain Man" is great- the movie Jeremiah Johnson is taken from it.
Gene Hill is a favorite for the more thoughtful and gentler outdoor stories.
William McKloskey's "Highliners" a better book about Alaskan fishing I've never found
Jared Diamond's "Guns, Germs, and Steel" is a great read about the rise and fall of civilizations

As an edit- I've done business with this company for a long time- order one book or fifty and shipping is $3.50- I've done a series of links as some of the authors mentioned above are on the linked pages. Often, if I see something of interest, I'll try to find a review before I buy it- sometimes there is a really good reason they are on sale.

(Ed McGivern for $4) **as another edit- just finished reading Dayton Hyde's "Pastures of Beyond"...he was a rodeo clown with Slim Pickens, while a little hit and miss- found it very enjoyable.
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/West

(Roosevelt and Gene Hill)
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Fishing-Hunting/Sporting-Stories-Adventures

(Harrison)
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Classics-Literary-Fiction

((And a couple of general links- there are a couple of good search functions on the page)
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Civil-War
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Fishing-Hunting
https://www.hamiltonbook.com/Collecting/Firearms-Knives

Echo
06-29-2017, 01:21 PM
Somewhat off the thrust of this thread, but - I am halfway through a book that I can't finish, because when I pick it up to read some more, I only make a page or two before I'm Mad As He[[. At Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara. The title is 'Dereliction Of Duty', by McMaster, and relates how LBJ extended the VN War to guarantee his re-election in 1968. The lies they told, the lies the Chief Of Staff (and others) told, &cetera, just make one want to dig the corpses up and cut 'em in chunks, grind them up, mix with fecal matter, and dump in the deepest ocean.
Rant Over.

Blackwater
06-29-2017, 06:20 PM
Today, if you really want to read of the legitimate "romance" with the wild, you really have to go back to the older authors. Today's "sporting" articles are written more as sales reps, than as true outdoorsmen or shooter/hunters. There's an occasional good book out, and I have a few, but .... it's surely not as "full" a selection as real lovers of the wild once had.

My grandson read the book "Hathcet," and I forget the author, but he let me read it, and it was pretty good. Not quite Jack London, but it'll do for today's readers. Today's young folks wouldn't think of taking a blanket, a knife, and a gun if one of the guys had one available, and some ammo and a little food, salt and pepper, and going into the woods to fish, hunt and camp for a few nights. I am SO glad for the way I grew up! Good books bring some of that old spirit back again.

johniv
06-30-2017, 12:08 PM
Gary Paulsen wrote Hatchet. Good read. London is good of course. His short stories are great. As mentioned Gene Hill is worth the time.

blackthorn
06-30-2017, 12:13 PM
Grass Beyond the Mountains, Nothing too good for a Cowboy and Cowboy takes a wife by Rich Hobson. Caruso of Lonesome lake by Ralph Edwards. The Year Long Day by A. E. Maxwell Ivor Ruud.

3band53
06-30-2017, 12:21 PM
Good books to read a trilogy by Rick Atkinson called the Liberation Trilogy. Titles are An Army at Dawn; The Day of Battle; and The Guns at last Light. This trilogy covers the war in Western Europe from the American perspective. One of the best series I have ever read. Also Gordon Rhea's Overland Campaign books there are four of the currently with the last coming out in September.

bob208
07-02-2017, 01:40 PM
echo's from the oil country. a collection of letters written by a machinist working around oil city pa. 1900. getting a stand . about buffalo hunting in the 1870.

castalott
07-02-2017, 01:54 PM
A little modern perhaps but "Fate is the Hunter" by Earnest K Gann is wonderful. It's about flying though.

"Iron Coffins" by Herbert Werner is a good read about Uboot warfare in WW2...

Anything by Winston Churchill is well written and informative.

If you like science fiction most anything by Heinlein or Asimov.....

If you like reloading, check out Phil Sharpe or Major George Nonte among others...

If you just like the sound of 'right' words, Shakespeare or Milton.... Watching Shakespeare is 10x more enjoyable....

DCP
07-02-2017, 05:08 PM
The Operator by Robert O'neill

I like it

country gent
07-02-2017, 07:57 PM
One of my favorites is the 5 book set of Alan Ekharts The frontieersman. Its the settling of Kentucky ohio indianna a little of Illinois and Detroit. A very good set to read by the firelight on a chilly night.

bob208
07-04-2017, 06:51 PM
the caplock muzzleloading rifle. by ned Roberts.

Bazoo
07-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Hmm, lots of interesting choices so far. Thanks everyone.

Rufus Krile
07-04-2017, 10:42 PM
Just finished "Liberty's Last Stand"by Stephen Coonts. I don't think he liked President Obama very much...

prsman23
07-05-2017, 12:25 AM
With the old breed.
Eugene Sledge.
WWII pacific theater. Possibly the best ground pounder account of any war ever.
One of the best reads of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plate plinker
07-05-2017, 08:34 AM
Dakota cowboy and canoeing with the Cree.
Unintended Consequences by John Ross

castalott
07-05-2017, 04:18 PM
Quartered Safe Out Here - George MacDonald Fraser'

The British Army in Burma in WW2... Very good read....

Bazoo
01-04-2018, 01:20 AM
The wife got me, Winchester an American Legend by R.L. Wilson for Christmas. It was real good. Many nice and history photographs and information. Picture heavy, so it went pretty quick.

nicholst55
01-04-2018, 09:03 AM
GG, that does sound interesting. I like anything that is from the indians point of view, as im Chippewa.

WHITE DEVIL, A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America, by Stephen Brumwell. It deals with Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers.

AKtinman
01-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Good books to read a trilogy by Rick Atkinson called the Liberation Trilogy. Titles are An Army at Dawn; The Day of Battle; and The Guns at last Light. This trilogy covers the war in Western Europe from the American perspective. _SNIP_ .

I'm just about through the middle book. Very interesting take on the war with insights on the leadership that I had not seen before. Quite good.

AKtinman
01-04-2018, 09:24 PM
Alaska’s Wolf Man: The 1915-1955 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser, by Jim Rearden

Handlogger: The story of “Handlogger” Jackson, who handlogged in the forests of SE Alaska for over 40 years

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: James D. Hornfischer

MT Gianni
01-04-2018, 09:26 PM
WHITE DEVIL, A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America, by Stephen Brumwell. It deals with Major Robert Rogers and his Rangers.

His journal is available on Kindle for $0.99.

Bazoo
01-05-2018, 11:41 PM
Alaska’s Wolf Man: The 1915-1955 Wilderness Adventures of Frank Glaser, by Jim Rearden

Handlogger: The story of “Handlogger” Jackson, who handlogged in the forests of SE Alaska for over 40 years

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: James D. Hornfischer

Handlogger sounds like it'd be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

JSnover
01-05-2018, 11:48 PM
Find a copy of Hatcher's Notebook if you're ever in the mood for something more technical.
For hunting/adventure try Safari Press, they have a pretty big selection of books by the African hunters from the late 1800s thru the 1950s.

bensonwe
01-06-2018, 08:48 AM
I've always found sailing stories interesting and living on or near the great lakes all my life I heard a few. Some from ABies all the way to captains. So, I read many lake books. One inpeticular is Shipwrecks of the Straits of Mackinac by Charles and Jeri Feltner. Many locations mentioned I have visited as I lived very close to Mackinac for years and worked offloading lake vessels. Got to talk to many sailors. I got to know one Captain quite well and repected the hell out of him. He sailed for 50+ years and pushed his boat threw many winds. He had the respect of his crew and it showed. Other captains weren't as good and that showed as well.

JSnover
01-06-2018, 11:08 AM
You might like "Off The Mangrove Coast" by L'amour.

JSnover
01-06-2018, 11:11 AM
With the old breed.
Eugene Sledge.
WWII pacific theater. Possibly the best ground pounder account of any war ever.
One of the best reads of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great book!
Another was "The 13th Valley" by John Del Vecchio. Takes place in Viet Nam. A fictionalized account of his real world experiences.

Light attack
01-06-2018, 11:43 AM
"A Terrible Glory, Custer and the Little Bighorn, The Last Great Battle of the American West" by James Donovan. Great read best book about the Little Bighorn I've ever read.

HP9MM
01-06-2018, 05:16 PM
Somewhat off the thrust of this thread, but - I am halfway through a book that I can't finish, because when I pick it up to read some more, I only make a page or two before I'm Mad As He[[. At Lyndon Baines Johnson and Robert Strange McNamara. The title is 'Dereliction Of Duty', by McMaster, and relates how LBJ extended the VN War to guarantee his re-election in 1968. The lies they told, the lies the Chief Of Staff (and others) told, &cetera, just make one want to dig the corpses up and cut 'em in chunks, grind them up, mix with fecal matter, and dump in the deepest ocean.
Rant Over.

When I read it, I felt the same anger you did. "Matterhorn" is a Vietnam book recommended to me by former USMC Commandant Charles Krulak and it is very good.

Cosmic_Charlie
01-08-2018, 11:30 AM
Brown Dog by Jim Harrison. Set in the U.P.

Bazoo
01-08-2018, 09:38 PM
Cosmic Charlie, thanks. My indian / dad's side of the family is from up there.

Bazoo
01-31-2018, 10:21 PM
I just finished Silence of the North By Olive Fredrickson. It was good. Tough woman, and tough breed of folks from that era and place thats for sure.

Bazoo
11-19-2018, 02:08 AM
Now i've acquired and read,

North of the Sun - Fred Hatfield
When Alaska was free - Knut Peterson
Winter Watch - James Ramsey

All three were real good, North of the Sun was something else. Winter Watch though happens in our times and I can connect more with it. I like the style of a daily journal entry, in the modern times. Anyone have any suggestions along these lines?

Walks
11-19-2018, 02:17 AM
She's been mentioned. But the Book: " I Married Adventure by Osa Johnson" .

If you read between the lines it'll put chills down your spine.

xs11jack
11-19-2018, 08:57 PM
A few but not all, Ike the Soldier by Merle Miller. Very comprehensive. The First American, The life and times of Benjamin Franklin.
D-Day by Stephen E. Ambrose, and Undaunted Courage also by Ambrose. Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer, this is one of those "I can't put it down." books. Here is The First Salute by Barbara W. Tuchman, a masterful writer. Here is a bit of the jacket blurb. On November 16, 1776, a ship flying the red-and-white striped flag of the Continent Congress entered the port of St. Eustatius in the West Indies. Adhering to custom on entering a foreign port, the ship fired a salute, and the guns of the island's fort returned a ritual response. This act of recognition acknowledged that the vessel and it's flag represented a legitimate nation. It was the first official salute to the United States of America. And most recently "Team of Rivals" by Doris Kearns Goodwin. Subtitled The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Bon Apatite.
Ole Jack
ps all but one of these books were found used at the Goodwill outlet store. All were priced at 20 cents across the spine. My Gastroenterologist at the VA hospital gave me the Barbara W. Tuchman book. He is a great friend.
OJ

abunaitoo
11-20-2018, 04:50 AM
I like anything by David Baldacci.
I have some old hunting/fishing book I don't need anymore.
Library didn't want them.
damacrat state.

richhodg66
11-20-2018, 08:03 AM
Lately, I've begun to read one I read a few years ago, it's on the Marine Corps' reading list for junior Marines and it is a good one, C.S. Forrester's Rifleman Dodd.

I became a fan of Cormac McArthy a few years ago. He's not for everybody and I personally thought his signature work, Blood Meridian, was awful, but his Border Trilogy All the Pretty Horses, The Crossing and Cities of the Plain is an awesome set of books, particularly The Crossing.

375supermag
11-20-2018, 11:13 AM
Hi...
I really don't read many books about hunting at all. I do read some gun related books, mostly by 0'Connor, Venturino and some guy named Taffin.
Most of my library is composed of military history(focus on World War II) and paleontology(mostly human evolution, dinosaurs and the mega fauna, such as cave bears, smilodon, mastodons,etc).
Also read a lot of science fiction.

Bazoo
11-23-2018, 11:52 PM
I really dont like military books, or war movies for that matter. I surely like the Richard Proenneke videos and books though.

WheelgunConvert
11-24-2018, 03:44 AM
Thomas Jefferson and the Pirates of Tripoli- Kilmeade
Unbroken- Hillenbrand
The War Stories Series- Oliver North
Killing Lincoln- OReily

clum553946
11-24-2018, 04:15 AM
A Farewell To Arms - Ernest Hemingway

JBinMN
11-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Unintended Consequences, by John Ross

Here is a .pdf file/ ebook is anyone is interested...
https://billstclair.com/Unintended-Consequences.pdf

sniper
11-24-2018, 11:46 AM
Another vote for Unintended Consequences...John Ross...Really hard to find! Probably get your name on some sort of subversive "watch list" for buying/reading it! But, that didn't cause a problem when I renewed my Passport! Hmmmmm...soooo...maybe not.
Death In the Long Grass...Peter Hathaway Capstick
The New Testament
The Book of Mormon...Another Testament of Jesus Christ
The Hunting Rifle...Jack O'Connor
The Flight of the Intruder...Koontz. The first of a good series
Without Remorse, Patriot Games, and Clear and Present Danger...Tom Clancy. The movie Hunt for Red October is better than the book!
Chicken Hawk...Viet Nam helicopter pilot autobiography...I forget the author
Things That Matter...Charles Krauthammer
The Harry Potter series
The Aubrey and Maturin series (All 21) Patrick O'brian. I read 'em all about every 5 years...the movie "Master and Commander "is a pretty good synthesis of two of the series...Master and Commander, and The Far Side of the World.
The A.D. Chronicles...Thoene
The Harry Potter series...J.K. Rowling
Centennial...Michener
Glory Road...Heinlein