PDA

View Full Version : American Long Rifles

Hannibal
06-24-2017, 06:55 PM
I'm interested in studying the construction of American Long Rifles. I have a copy of 'The Gunsmith Of Grenville County'. This was recommended to me as a great starting point. As I prefer to have multiple perspectives, are there any more references anyone can recommend?

Thank you for your time, and hope your day is pleasant.

Maven
06-24-2017, 07:08 PM
You may want to look at this forum and ask questions of the very knowledgeable folks there: http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

Hannibal
06-24-2017, 08:14 PM
Thank you! I'll do that.

bedbugbilly
06-24-2017, 08:36 PM
Kindigs (I believe that is correct) books offer great photographs of original specimens. Check with the NMLRA as well as I'm not sure what publications they may have available.

Squeeze
06-24-2017, 08:39 PM
this one is pretty old, Ive watched it a few times now. Ive always found Wallace Gussler's talents amazing, and a fascinating watch.

https://youtu.be/bAzJOULyx5c

Hannibal
06-24-2017, 09:14 PM
This is a very informative video. I thank you very much.

That said, it is just work. Hard work, but basic work. Where does one go from here?

Hannibal
06-24-2017, 09:24 PM
So. The gunsmith makes everything except hacksaw blades and files?

Now I understand.

Dryball
06-25-2017, 01:22 AM
try Thoughts on the Kentucky Long Rifle

toallmy
06-25-2017, 07:41 AM
Thank you for posting the video .

06-25-2017, 08:07 AM
Doug Shumway books are great sources. Massive amount of pictures.

Flintlock1812
06-28-2017, 06:28 PM
"The Art of Building the Pennsylvania Longrifle"
by Chuck Dixon

taco650
06-29-2017, 06:09 AM
You may want to look at this forum and ask questions of the very knowledgeable folks there: http://www.americanlongrifles.org/forum/

They are very knowledgeable but also purists when it comes to custom muzzleloader rifle building. And like most purists, they will also have no problem giving their opinion and telling you if they think you're wrong.

Multigunner
06-29-2017, 07:49 AM
Only thing unusual I can remember about the long rifles was that most stock makers stained the Maple wood with tobacco juice rather than any common wood stain.

I have made my own walnut stain by leaving walnuts from my trees with the hull still on in plastic bags till the hull decomposes and releases a thick goop. I then wash the goop off the plastic with a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol which I can then use directly to wipe down the wood. I make more stain by putting the decomposed walnuts with hulls in a pot wit holes punched in the bottom and pouring scalding hot water over them. The water is then put in a shallow tray and left to dry in the sun. The residue left in the tray is then dissolved with rubbing alcohol and the mix is poured into old jelly jars and sealed for future use.

Its been many years since I made this home made walnut stain.
The scalded stain has a reddish tint while the stain taken directly from the bags is darker and with little or no reddish tint.

missionary5155
06-29-2017, 09:02 AM
Good morning
Been buying reading books over the years also. Two years ago came across this one... Flintlock Fowlers The first guns made in America by Tom Grinslade. Well written and more good executed photos than words. Roughly covers 1700-1820.
If I only had one book about the colonial era this is the one I would go for.
Mike in Peru

waksupi
06-29-2017, 09:05 AM
Only thing unusual I can remember about the long rifles was that most stock makers stained the Maple wood with tobacco juice rather than any common wood stain.

I have made my own walnut stain by leaving walnuts from my trees with the hull still on in plastic bags till the hull decomposes and releases a thick goop. I then wash the goop off the plastic with a rag soaked in rubbing alcohol which I can then use directly to wipe down the wood. I make more stain by putting the decomposed walnuts with hulls in a pot wit holes punched in the bottom and pouring scalding hot water over them. The water is then put in a shallow tray and left to dry in the sun. The residue left in the tray is then dissolved with rubbing alcohol and the mix is poured into old jelly jars and sealed for future use.

Its been many years since I made this home made walnut stain.
The scalded stain has a reddish tint while the stain taken directly from the bags is darker and with little or no reddish tint.

Aquafortis was the most common stain used. I have tried tobacco juice, unsatisfactory. Yesterday I stained a stock using ferric nitrate, which is what you get with aquafortis, after fortifying it with iron oxide. I then blushed the acid to neutral with heat, to achieve the desired color. For maple, I find it gives a nicer color with first wiping down the stock with a very strong black tea solution (tannin), then vinegar to add acidity, then the stain.
The advantage of using an acid stain is, it is color fast. I have found that in using dyes on maple, it tends to fade somewhat over the years. Not a lot, but noticeable if you pay attention to it. I will still use it on occassion, to achieve a desired color.

taco650
06-29-2017, 10:45 PM
Aquafortis... going to Google that one.

woodbutcher
07-01-2017, 11:04 PM
:D Excellent video.Have seen it a couple of times.Still most interesting.Thanks for posting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

waksupi
07-01-2017, 11:39 PM
Aquafortis... going to Google that one.

Go with ferric nitrate. It is made from aquafortis by adding oxidized iron to reach solution. Exactly what you have to do if you start with aquafortis, and is safer to handle. You can get enough off Ebay to do a half dozen guns easy for around $10.

Geezer in NH
07-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Hershel House's videos of making a rifle.

Hannibal
07-09-2017, 06:34 PM
The most intimidating thing I see about making a rifle the 'old school' way lies in the barrel forging. There's no way I could swing a 3 or 4 pound hammer long enough to do even half of that process. And I know of no one who would/could help me.

And then to proof test with a 4x overcharge and hope it doesn't split, only to start anew if it fails?

Incredible. I just don't have enough time, let alone patience to master that skill.

Fly
07-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Quote (I just don't have enough time, let alone patience to master that skill.) I,m with you, me ether. But I admire guys as Waksupi that do.
I make a few knives from time to time & that's can be very time consuming if you are a stickler for quality. But a whole long rifle that takes
more than I want to give.

Fly

Hannibal
07-09-2017, 07:27 PM
Oh, I'd LOVE to build one. But what's that famous 'Dirty Harry' quote?

"A man's GOT to know his limitations.'

And I agree, I admire those who do build them.

waksupi
07-09-2017, 11:52 PM
Here's a re-do of an old rifle for a friend I finished this past week, using old techniques. I had to fabricate a few parts, and do a complete new stock. I scraped,
rather than sanded the finish. I then used ferric nitrate for the stain. I followed that up by boning the stock, and then finishing it with a varnish rub like the old ones were. I had to re-patina a few places on the patchbox, and the new breech plug that was needed.

taco650
07-10-2017, 08:08 AM
Here's a re-do of an old rifle for a friend I finished this past week, using old techniques. I had to fabricate a few parts, and do a complete new stock. I scraped,
rather than sanded the finish. I then used ferric nitrate for the stain. I followed that up by boning the stock, and then finishing it with a varnish rub like the old ones were. I had to re-patina a few places on the patchbox, and the new breech plug that was needed.

Can't believe that's a new stock, the aging looks great! Very nice work Ric!

William Yanda
07-10-2017, 08:46 AM
I am late to the party, but one of the Foxfire books had a section on rifle-making with some pictures. I do not know how it compares with the previously mentioned references, but more is better. Or so I have heard.

woodbutcher
07-10-2017, 10:34 AM
:) Hi Waksupi.Very nice sir.Thanks for posting.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo