PDA

View Full Version : .338 Federal, Comments, your favorite loads?

rockydoc
06-24-2017, 11:44 AM
I am considering getting a Savage M16 in .338 Federal. Anybody out there have any experiences or comments, or suggestions on this caliber?

Hickory
06-24-2017, 12:03 PM
A friend of mine had one built on a Remington model 7 for elk hunting and got a nice 6x5 elk. He said it was easy to carry and shoot.

Tnfalconer
06-24-2017, 12:15 PM
Since it came out it has been one of my favorite cartridges. For relatively short range shots on large game it's a wonder. I carried one while guiding in Colorado for elk. Loved it

Chill Wills
06-24-2017, 12:58 PM
In what is a sea of good and overlapping cartridges, the 338-08, AKA 338 Fed is a very smart and practical. I had a reamer made for one (a wildcat at the time) 30 years ago and chambered it in a Rem 700 short action, Douglass 12 twist.
I live and hunt in the Colorado high country. It is an outstanding elk and mule deer rifle.

Reverend Al
06-24-2017, 02:39 PM
It's a cartridge that has always appealed to me, but I never did buy one in the end. Having a custom built .358 Winchester that is similar in performance probably did help in that department. (Mind you, having said that it didn't stop me from buying a friend's large action Martini that had been re-bored and re-chambered into .338 / .303 British!) A friend of mine bought a Tika T3 in .338 Federal and he loved it and hunted with it fairly extensively with great results. I suspect if one came along at the right price I'd most likely buy it ...

Chill Wills
06-24-2017, 03:21 PM
It's a cartridge that has always appealed to me, but I never did buy one in the end. Having a custom built .358 Winchester that is similar in performance probably did help in that department. ...

Yes, already having a 358 Winchester, the two are so very close. It could be the 358 Win. is easier with cast, but now that is splitting hairs.

My 338 used 235gr LBT cast soft nose (two part) and could be delivered to an elk at full power. It was not like I couldn't get jacketed bullets, but just wanted to see what I could do with my cast bullets.
I've never, ever shot at an elk much past 200ys though I think this rifle and ammo could be shot past 250y to no more than 300y. I put the game and a sporting quick kill ahead of stretching a long shot. Just work in closer. That is what it is all about.

rockydoc
06-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Is it difficult to make 338 Federal brass from 308 Winchester brass? Could it be as simple as resizing in 338 Fed full length dies?
I like Lee dies. I will likely get a 4 die set: Full length resize; Collimator neck size; Seating die; and Lee Factory Crimp.
What neck belling or expanding die? I have a Lyman M die for 8x57. Can i get internal parts to convert this to different calibers or do I need a separate M die for each caliber?

rockydoc
06-25-2017, 04:50 PM
Upon further review, it appears that Lee does not make .338 Federal dies. Redding makes a 3 die set, FL, Neck size and seating, but they are co$tly. I would still need a factory crimp which Lee makes in 338 (for Winchester and Lapua) and a neck expander which I suppose only Lyman makes.

oldblinddog
06-25-2017, 06:20 PM
For my .338-06 I use the RCBS two die set and the Lyman M die for jacketed, cast, and paper patch to good effect. RCBS makes a two die set for the .338 Federal as well and I would recommend that set up.

Love Life
06-25-2017, 06:21 PM
I use RCBS 338 federal dies and neck up LC LR brass.

Chill Wills
06-25-2017, 06:32 PM
Is it difficult to make 338 Federal brass from 308 Winchester brass? Could it be as simple as resizing in 338 Fed full length dies?
I like Lee dies. I will likely get a 4 die set: Full length resize; Collimator neck size; Seating die; and Lee Factory Crimp.
What neck belling or expanding die? I have a Lyman M die for 8x57. Can i get internal parts to convert this to different calibers or do I need a separate M die for each caliber?

Yes - and very affordable too. Go to Buffalo Arms Co websight or call them. They provide the insides, threaded two diameter (neck expander/flair ) expander plug replacements for under $20 or there abouts. This goes right into the regular and "M" die body.
They come in any standard or custom size you want.

CraigOK
06-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Lee does make a 338 fed crimp die, no need to use a 338 w or 338 L

hithard
07-01-2017, 10:14 PM
For loads other than cast look at 24 hour campsite. There is a very long thread with lots of good info.

rockydoc
07-02-2017, 04:34 PM
[/COLOR]

Yes - and very affordable too. Go to Buffalo Arms Co websight or call them. They provide the insides, threaded two diameter (neck expander/flair ) expander plug replacements for under $20 or there abouts. This goes right into the regular and "M" die body.
They come in any standard or custom size you want.

I just discovered that I already have a Lee Universal Expander which will work with many different calibers. No need for additional parts.

Good Cheer
07-04-2017, 07:19 AM
Was going to use a slightly longer neck because of my preferences when loading cast.

Or a maximized neck length.
Did this with a 7-08 in the early eighties and it worked very well.

But with too many projects that one went by the wayside.