PDA

View Full Version : Minor problem with 357 Blackhawk

kingstrider
07-24-2008, 07:37 AM
I bought my 357 anniversary Blackhawk new about 3 years ago and have probably shot 500 rounds through it without a problem. The last two trips to the range however I have noticed the recoil seems to be causing the cylinder pin to creep out, locking the action. In both cases these were mild .38 special loads, nothing hot at all. I haven't cleaned the release mechanism yet but was wondering if it can be adjusted. Anyone else ever have this problem?

rugerdude
07-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I would say to clean the latch first. If that doesn't solve the problem, order a Belt Mountain base pin. It is just a hair oversize and will cure any problem of the pin jumping out. Ruger has occasionally let a revolver out of the factory with the latch hole just a bit out of place and it will let the stock pin slip. Plus, you will generally see an overall tighter cylinder fit with the Belt Mountain pin. Hope this helps.

fourarmed
07-24-2008, 11:13 AM
And after you clean it, make sure you give the right end of the latch a push or light tap when you install the base pin. Sometimes the latch doesn't seat completely.

GSPKurt
07-30-2008, 08:35 PM
I would say to clean the latch first. If that doesn't solve the problem, order a Belt Mountain base pin. It is just a hair oversize and will cure any problem of the pin jumping out. Ruger has occasionally let a revolver out of the factory with the latch hole just a bit out of place and it will let the stock pin slip. Plus, you will generally see an overall tighter cylinder fit with the Belt Mountain pin. Hope this helps.

rugerdude nailed it. I have Belt Mtn. Sheriff's Model basepins on all 4 of my SBH/BH's.

Belt Mountain (http://www.beltmountain.com/ruger.htm)

shooting on a shoestring
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
The last BH I bought new was a S.S. .357 with 4&5/8 barrel. I considered a Beltmountain pin to be part of the deal and ordered one the same night I brought the revolver home. I didn't wait for the stock pin to start slipping. And I really love the way the Beltmountain pin gets rid of all but the barest of cylinder side shake.

bigdog454
08-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Had that problem with my ruger BH 30 carbine, called Ruger and they sent new pin kit. Have only fired a few rounds since, but no problems.

freedom475
08-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Remove and look at the base pin "latch" I bet it has a bunch of small dents in it .

it's just a poor design on all the newer rugers as they use the lathe and turn the base pin latch groove so now it goes all the way around the base pin instead of just a little quarter moon cut in the base pin. Then they use a soft metal base pin latch.

Order a Belt mountain Latch, they are not avilable in stainless but they are a hardend steel part. They are like $9 and well worth it. I suggest ordering a base pin with the order.

I have one with the set screw but it is not very handy if I want to remove the cylinder. You have to have a allen wrench handy.

They are great guys and sell a great product.