PDA

View Full Version : LEE #4 Buckshot mold 18 cav

copdills
06-21-2017, 05:10 PM
Thinking about buying one, anyone here had any Luck using this mold , heard a lot of not filling out on this one, anyone have any tips for best performance and does the #4 buck work well in 12ga and 20ga and where did you buy your Lee #4

Thanks Copdills

NoAngel
06-21-2017, 05:20 PM
I had one. It filled out nice and easy but despised breaking up the three ball clusters. Always left a burr that made stacking 3 on 3 on 3 for an nice neat shot column really difficult. I ended up using a two cavity .319 from lee instead. Take a lot longer but makes a much better ball.

bstone5
06-21-2017, 05:41 PM
Use a Sharp Shooter Mold. Cast 00 and #4 from the same mold. A pair of special cutting pliers came with the mold to cut the balls apart.

copdills
06-21-2017, 07:04 PM
thanks guys , I heard that sharp shooter closed down, it would be nice to fine one of those that cast 00 and #4

LAGS
06-21-2017, 08:18 PM
I have all of the Lee buckshot and slug molds.
With a little playing around with the alloy and the temperature, the mold fills out just fine on all of them.
And when I clip the clusters, I put them in a rotary tumbler and tumble them for several hours.
That makes them come out really round and more consistant.
My favorate alloy is pure lead with 2% tin for good fill out and still a softer alloy.
But if you want a Harder alloy , try Lyman #2 or lino.
But it takes longer to tumble off the Sprue with the harded alloys.
BTW
if you dont have a rotary tumbler, throw the buckshot in an old glass jar and shake them.

copdills
06-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks LAGS

LAGS
06-22-2017, 12:11 AM
I forgot.
I got all mine from Titan Reloading.
I got them when they went on sale from time to time

Lloyd Smale
06-22-2017, 06:08 AM
I have one and have casted lots of buck with it. Trick to it is run this mold very hot right to the point of smearing the spruce. Youll still get a few with the little tit that needs to be clipped off. I don't have a rotary tumbler but found a vibrating one does it too. Probably just takes a bit longer. If I had a choice id take the lee over the sharpshooter. Ive got a 00 sharpshooter too. You need to wear gloves to cast with that one as the handles get REAL hot.

trapper9260
06-22-2017, 06:36 AM
I had got the Lee #4 buck but have not cast with it yet. I was thinking It would need to be cast hot for how it looks. I also have the sharpshooters 00 bucks shot also and use the cutters they said to use and I roll them with the roller i got from Dixie Gun Works that is use to roll the balls for a muzzle loader and works fine for me.

copdills
06-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Thanks fellows

Lloyd Smale
06-23-2017, 07:42 AM
if you cast them real hot and fast most of the shot falls free of the the little connecting tits.