PDA

View Full Version : Rough start to the day

Spoonerism
06-21-2017, 02:32 AM
Today started out on a bad note. For years I've been pestered by various companies trying to sell me a home security system, even before I owned a home I would get calls every day, and where I work the night shift, it got very old very fast. I have managed to finally get on most of the do not call lists, but today when I tried to get off the American Home Security company list I was met by a guy who wasn't exactly the most helpful, to be fair I didn't exactly exude kindness my self. I told him to take me off the list and then he asked if I had a home security system. Now I took offense to that, to me that's a rather personal question, the kind a honest business doesn't ask, or at least asks differently. I proceed to swear violently at this guy, threatening to call the FCC because he refused to acknowledge that I wanted to be removed from the list. At one point during my vulgar tirade he asked if that's how I talked to my waitress while waiting for a steak. I answered with a string of curses I wouldn't use against a dog. I'll be good to my waitress, but if you are the 4th guy his week to beat on my door and try to sell me a ribeye, you are not going to be treated nicely. After more strong language I hung up on the guy. I was shaking mad and haven't been able to quit thinking about it. Part of me thinks I acted harshly, but not with out reason, and part of me feels aweful for how I tore in to the guy. He makes a living doing cold sales calls, the poor guys gets screamed at for a living and I contributed to what makes his job suck. After it was said and done I did make a FCC report and put in for the federal no call list. I'm tempted to call the company back tomorrow and try to apologise to the him.

Remiel
06-21-2017, 03:05 AM
I have been on both sides of that coin and I can tell you that your reaction was normal, as someone who used to do both 1st and 3rd party collections the agent usually doesn't have time to worry about irate customers when management is all over them every minute of the day, sales has it worse. The fact that he made the steak comment shows his lack of professionalism in the situation and will do more damage than anything you had said. Now I have done the same as you with the door to door utility salesman, but a lot of that was due to me seeing them scam folks and get away with it, and the fact that the try to push their way in.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dg31872
06-21-2017, 04:23 AM
Been there, done that. Usually I respond the same way when I have put in too many 80 hour weeks.
The fact that you are remorseful about your actions says something about you.
You yelled at a guy, not a lady. He can take it if he is in the business.
Move on and try to be more understanding next time.

alamogunr
06-21-2017, 06:50 AM
I've tried the "do not call" lists. They mostly don't work. I've got two approaches that I use when I don't recognize the calling number. I either don't answer or when I answer and find that it is "Rachel from card services", I just hang up. Sometimes there is another call but more than one is rare.

It is frustrating when you can get the same exact call from multiple numbers with multiple area codes.

winelover
06-21-2017, 06:54 AM
Solution: Caller ID and then Call Blocking.......works for me.

Winelover

farmerjim
06-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Tell them yes, you want the system, and to send a salesman out to look over the job. When the salesman gets there, tell him you are tired of his company's calls.

mold maker
06-21-2017, 07:04 AM
I don't work 3rd or any shift anymore, but get just as irritated with calls that interrupt my time and space trying to sell something I don't want. I don't have a phone next to me everywhere and being handicapped, it's more than a hassel to get to the phone. I pay extra for caller ID on my TV, but many callers are unlisted.
If I want something I'll seek it out.
I usually ask for a superior and if that fails I just hang up and add the number to my blocked caller list.
Those that choose to add income by aggravating others get no sympathy from me, but I do try to be pleasant.
I haven't found the "Do Not Call" list to be effective.

Smoke4320
06-21-2017, 07:43 AM
I started using a ultrasonic alarm like hikers carry. If I answer the phone and I here a beep they get the alarm. It has cut my calls in half in about 2 weeks

bedbugbilly
06-21-2017, 08:14 AM
I understand your thoughts in regards to having yelled at the guy and I understand that people have to make a living - and at least they are trying and not just sitting and collecting their "entitlement" - BUT - here is my stance on it . . . . I put my land line in for a reason - MY USE - and primarily because my wife wants it due to the "enhanced 911" capabilities (ie. 011 knows the address when a call is made to dispatch necessary emergency services). I put it in to make calls on farm business or other necessary calls . . . . I didn't put it in to be a means for a commercial business to extend their marketing to try and sell me something. If I wanted an alarm system, extended auto warranty, a free trip, make a donation to a charitable organization (Fraternal Ordeer of Police, etc. who hire companies to make these calls and then the company doing the calls keeps 80 to 90 percent of funds raised for "administrative costs") - I WOULD SEEK THEM OUT AND CALL THEM.

As far as I'm concerned, these calls are an intrusion of privacy - my wife and I have our cell phones and land line on "do not call lists" - and we STILL get these annoying calls. The computer calls are the most annoying but when I get a real human calling, I start out polite but then interrupt them and ask them for their home phone number and cell phone number . . . why? . . . well because I want to call you and bother you when you are eating or doing something where you don't want to be interrupted by a stupid phone call . . . . in the end though, the easiest thing to do is just hang up. The alarm companies? I just tell them I already have a security system . . . it's called Smith & Wesson and I'm not afraid to use it . . . .

In the end . . all of the telemarketing and other ways we are bombarded just go along with the "wonders of the technology age" . . . . but I find it funny and very odd that all of this telemarketing takes place but when you want a contractor or service person to call back or give you a call to let you know they have to change an appointment or will be running late in getting there . . . most DON'T KNOW HOW TO COMMUNICATE! Frustrating but hey, I'm "old" and I was brought up to respect others, respect their privacy and not to bother someone unless they asked or inquired about services . . . there are plenty of other ways to advertise your services and products than to make continuous annoying phone calls.

bob208
06-21-2017, 08:18 AM
we only use cell phones. when it is a number I don't recognize I answer sheriffs dept. fraud division detective runn a. muck. don't get past the sheriffs dept. most times.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-21-2017, 08:30 AM
In general, I hate the Phone, but as we all know it's a necessary tool. I don't own a cell phone, and my landline doesn't have call ID. If it is the least little inconvenience for me to answer the phone, I won't, no matter who it is, I just let the answering machine take it. When I end up taking a undesired sales call, I just say "not interested" and hang up...whether they are still talking or not. It's nothing to get excited about.

Now, I gotta ask, all you folks with smart cell phones, if you dislike sales calls, I assume they are ID'd? why are you answering them? If they are not ID'd and come up as unknown caller, again, why would you answer it? let them leave a voice mail.

My 2¢
Do not let the Phone run your life...don't be afraid of ignoring at any point in time.
Good Luck.

Goatwhiskers
06-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Scam or marketing calls are a real pain. For the house we have an answer machine, they never leave a message, except for politicians wanting a vote. We each have a cell, I never answer a call from an unknown area code. Most of the time when you google that number it comes back as a scam caller. Just a headache associated with modern technology. GW

lightman
06-21-2017, 08:51 AM
I don't blame you for loosing your temper. Just don't let them get under your skin. I usually just don't answer any numbers that are not in my phone memory. If its important they can leave a message and I'll call them back. I'm getting more and more calls from numbers that resemble cell numbers. I just cut them off.

lefty o
06-21-2017, 09:08 AM
they called you, with the sole intent purpose on harassing you , feel free to say whatever you feel like. i have zero sympathy for telemarketers, they have zero right to call and bother you as far as im concerned. as for the do not call lists, 99% useless.

Remiel
06-21-2017, 09:17 AM
I used to answer the phone as the city morgue, stopped almost all my calls, including ones from the mother in law, now I just don't answer the house phone, anyone who knows me calls my cell or sends me a text

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mytmousemalibu
06-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Over the past 6mo or so the amount of spam/scam calls i get on my cell phone has gone through the roof! Those calls really pizz me off! I block every last one and it still doesn't seem to help, they just find more numbers. I do try to awnser and immediately hang up so tjey can't leave a voice mail.

osteodoc08
06-21-2017, 09:26 AM
Eh. Just let it go. No need in raising your blood presssure and losing sleep over that. If you're not happy how it was handled, remember for next time.

I work all kinds of shifts and I hate being woke up after a long shift, especially if in a string of shifts and sleep has been poor. My landline has the ringer turned off and my phone goes on do not disturb. It will ring if the same number calls twice within a few minutes. Then it's usually something I need to wake up for.

Take a big deep breath my friend. That guy has probably already laughed and went on about his business. We're all human and you had a bad day. Tomorrow's a new day.

Sur-shot
06-21-2017, 09:47 AM
If you listed your number on the Federal Do Not Call List then that call was a violation from the get go. The best result is the blocked call list of your phone company. However the harassers will change to new numbers just to get around your blocked numbers, out of spite. Then when all else fails, send a written complaint to your state's Utility Commission against that company and their phone number. The UC can pull their phone numbers for violations / repeated complaints. Having a phone is not a right, it is a regulated privilege. No one with a phone may use that phone to harass anyone else with a phone.
Ed

country gent
06-21-2017, 10:14 AM
I usually have some fun with these callers and play as any games as possible with them. I try to keep them on the phone as long as possible to keep them from bothering others. I to am disabled and medically retired and being ran to a phone for these calls is a real issue when you have mobility and balance problems. Only half answer their questions, Or ask for them to be repeted, give good ol boy stories intermittently ( you know that reminds me of.........) Ask what under clothes shes wearing, Color, Like I said have fun with it but make the calls last so they are completely unprofitable for them. A last to remember its hard for them to file harassment when they are calling you.

Handloader109
06-21-2017, 10:55 AM
Don't worry about it. Rxn was normal. Luckily I don't get many human cold calls. I only have cell phone, and as I am looking for job along with my side business,I have to answer them. I don't have an expired warranty on my cars,I don't need security system, I've never had a school loan, danq quit calling me! Oh, if any of you ever start up your own website PAYthe extra fee to have private listing Information. About $20, but worth every penny . I got probably a hundred. Calls for a website I started trying to help me with advertising!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

PaulG67
06-21-2017, 10:57 AM
" Ask what under clothes shes wearing, Color"

While the above may be fun it would be a huge mistake, these unwanted phone calls are usually recorded.

NavyVet1959
06-21-2017, 11:11 AM
I get so many of the calls on my landline that I just leave it off the hook / on hold all the time now. And my cell phone is just set to "mute".

When the home security system people would call and ask if I had a security system, I would tell them that I'm an engineer and have a better system than any that they could possibly sell me. That might pique their interest a bit and they would ask what it was and I would tell them "Claymores" and then tell them to put me on their do not call list and then hang up on them.

gwpercle
06-21-2017, 02:29 PM
An inexpensive answering machine ($15.00 from Wally Mart ), most don't even leave a message, those that do, I listen to the message and I decide if I want to return the call or delete it.
I also have have that option of the callers number showing up on the TV screen, I can see who it is and decide to answer it or not.
Gary

Rufus Krile
06-21-2017, 03:28 PM
Being retired, I tend along the lines of country gent's approach. Keep 'em on as long as I can. I think my record to date is about 45minutes and ended when I asked THEM for their banking information. I don't know what these morons expect to accomplish when it's obvious that the prospect is already mad at them. I've had them actually yelling at me and still hoping for a sale. Now that's confidence.

Preacher Jim
06-21-2017, 03:34 PM
I have adopted a standard line that has cut my calls almost out. We do not deal with any sales person on the phone send a letter we may look at it before spreading it.
Never recieved a letter one call in 4 months.

nvbirdman
06-21-2017, 04:54 PM
I like to tell them that if their product was worth the price, I'd be calling them. Then hang up.

Spoonerism
06-21-2017, 05:04 PM
Normally I just block the call when I see an area code I don't recognize, but lately I've been getting calls from the local 423 and I tend to answer if I think it could be someone from work or somewhere I have put in an application. It makes it worse when the telemarketers call with a number that looks like a cellphone number.

Taylor
06-21-2017, 05:32 PM
Tell them yes, you want the system, and to send a salesman out to look over the job. When the salesman gets there, tell him you are tired of his company's calls.

That's exactly what I did. Haven't had a call in a while.But when they ask if I have a security system,yes..a 12 ga shotgun and 3 large dogs.

Kestrel4k
06-21-2017, 05:39 PM
Being retired, I tend along the lines of country gent's approach. Keep 'em on as long as I can. I think my record to date is about 45minutes and ended when I asked THEM for their banking information. I don't know what these morons expect to accomplish when it's obvious that the prospect is already mad at them. I've had them actually yelling at me and still hoping for a sale. Now that's confidence.
My personal record was ~28 minutes; when I finally delivered the 'gotcha' I even got the spam caller to start swearing at me in Hindi - a very rewarding outcome. :)

Often when I'm surfing the web and can easily devote a few unused brain cells to the conversation.

You can ask the Indians if they are Pakistani - 'they sound Pakistani' etc.
Sometimes you can get their village names, and then proceed with insulting that village - have heard about the incest/etc that goes on there.

When I'm more pressed for time, I handle the "Card Services" / credit card spam calls by saying I have the credit card in my desk in the other room and ask for them to wait; then I just set the phone down. Checking the phone later, they seem to hang up in about 5 minutes. It's pretty easy to string them out longer if I pick it up every 3-4 minutes saying I'm still looking for the card. Eventually I 'find' the card, and give them the card number minus one digit - can go round and round for a while with that angle. Then when they ask for the expiration date, I give them the previous year. "Oops, that's the old card - let me find the newer one", lol.

Or just blast the emergency whistle I keep on my jacket directly into the phone - that can't be pleasant with the headsets they're wearing.
Many of them still stay online after that so I hit it again.
If I feel particularly nefarious I talk to them very quietly at first so they have to turn up their headset volume before I hit the whistle.

I don't pull out all the stops for the 'legit' spam/sales calls, but no mercy for the lying b@sturds that misrepresent their 'services' from the get-go.

William Yanda
06-21-2017, 06:04 PM
I am on the do not call registry, still get the calls. Last one I told he was not supposed to call this number, and asked for his supervisor's name and number so I could call and interrupt his supper. He offered to put me on their do not call list.

Spoonerism
06-21-2017, 06:07 PM
The whistle advice makes me miss my 110 decibel storm whistle I used when I was a lifeguard, that thing hurt.

DCP
06-21-2017, 06:10 PM
There actually cloning phone #s

Anyone else get a call from themselves? I look at the wife and said I just have to answer this one, I am calling me

Tom W.
06-21-2017, 07:31 PM
I get calls from all over the country that are connected to the Cancer Treatment Center of America. I have to be alert and try to remember where they are. Beyond that I don't answer too many calls which drives my wife nuts.

woodbutcher
06-21-2017, 09:27 PM
:bigsmyl2:Used to be my favorite way to deal with any kind of unwanted calls was to go out the back door and drop the hammer on a hot ,38spl with the muzzel next to the mouth piece.Had a 20ft
cord on the reciever.That cured the stupid calls
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Finster101
06-21-2017, 09:32 PM
I just talk over them and say no thank you put me on your do not call list and usually never get another call.

Spoonerism
06-21-2017, 10:27 PM
:bigsmyl2:Used to be my favorite way to deal with any kind of unwanted calls was to go out the back door and drop the hammer on a hot ,38spl with the muzzel next to the mouth piece.Had a 20ft
cord on the reciever.That cured the stupid calls
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

I bet that never failed to do the trick, makes me hope I get a call on the range.

rking22
06-21-2017, 10:38 PM
I just answer, easier for me than fiddling with caller I'd. If its a salesman I say no thanks and hang up, right then. I'm on fed do not call list and work nights, just not worth getting aggravated about. Worrying about hurting the callers feelings isn't either.
Actually do the same for knocks on the door, no thank you and close the door. They figure it out.

MaryB
06-21-2017, 10:41 PM
I could have a scammer use my sisters number... that is why they get answered. Besides, I enjoy ruining their day! Kept one on the phone for 25 minutes today with made up credit card numbers, I kept transposing 2 of the numbers at random, I finally started laughing to hard and he caught on and started swearing at me! I just laughed at him that much more! Meanwhile he was unable to scam anyone else for that time!

In general, I hate the Phone, but as we all know it's a necessary tool. I don't own a cell phone, and my landline doesn't have call ID. If it is the least little inconvenience for me to answer the phone, I won't, no matter who it is, I just let the answering machine take it. When I end up taking a undesired sales call, I just say "not interested" and hang up...whether they are still talking or not. It's nothing to get excited about.

Now, I gotta ask, all you folks with smart cell phones, if you dislike sales calls, I assume they are ID'd? why are you answering them? If they are not ID'd and come up as unknown caller, again, why would you answer it? let them leave a voice mail.

My 2¢
Do not let the Phone run your life...don't be afraid of ignoring at any point in time.
Good Luck.

MaryB
06-21-2017, 10:53 PM
The "card services" idiots called me when I was in the lumber yard today. Told him to stuff a grenade in a personal location and pull the pin and hung up as he started swearing at me. Lumber yard guys busted out laughing and said they were stealing that. Most of the Pakistani calls are ISIS collecting money so I have no pity!

Duckiller
06-22-2017, 05:32 PM
If youare the federal no call list ,report them to the Federal Trade Commission. Most of my call are from small contractors that use phoney numbers. I inform them that I am on the "No Call" list then start cursing at them, I didn't invite them to call me and I don't have to be polite to people who ignore Federal laws and try to use my phone. If the phone companies didn't own congress we would have laws and penalities to stop this garbage. A CO2 powered horn into the speaker also works.

higgins
06-22-2017, 05:57 PM
We normally don't answer calls from numbers we don't recognize. The only time that gets complicated is when companies we have business with call from various area codes. If in doubt let it go to phonemail. Legitimate callers will leave a message.

Some soliciatation callers have started using numbers that spoof our area code and prefix numbers. We still don't answer unless a name comes up on the caller ID.

waksupi
06-22-2017, 06:56 PM

While the above may be fun it would be a huge mistake, these unwanted phone calls are usually recorded.
When they call and say the call may be recorded, I stop them right there, and tell them they don't have my permission to record me. They have no idea how to respond, and hang up.

Fishman
06-23-2017, 08:20 AM
Why answer the phone? Just let it go to voicemail. If they think it is important they will leave one. Then listen to it at your leisure and decide if it is. No drama no angst all good.

mold maker
06-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Using a loud sounding device may make you feel like you've accomplished something, but the transmitted volume is restricyed. Although louder than normal voice, speach is distorted and the volume is reduced in order to protect the equipment.
Best to just keep your cool and request to speak to their supervisor. Request your name/number be removed from ALL lists.
A good part of the time this works, if not all the shouting and cursing won't either.

Geezer in NH
06-23-2017, 05:04 PM

So what they opened the door calling you.

NavyVet1959
06-23-2017, 06:05 PM
An normal answering machine is not a good solution for many people because the phone would still ring and you would still have to listen to the message (which might be blank). Most of these robo-caller system do not support the idea of phone extensions (i.e. call a main number and then ask of key in the number for the extension) like you find in some businesses. If your "answering machine" had mailboxes where the caller was required to key in a different number for each person at the house and it could be configured to keep from ringing the other phones in the house, that might filter out many of the spam calls.

MaryB
06-24-2017, 12:28 AM
The credit card spammers don't care if you ask to be removed, they laugh and swear at you.