PDA

View Full Version : Blue coloration...

kamikaze1a
07-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Have a question; I melted what I believe is pure lead into ingots. Using an LP gas burner and cast iron pot I heated to almost 700 before ladling into the ingot molds. Most of the ingots had a bluish color. Was that too hot? Planning to remelt later in a Lee electric pot and mix in some linotype for casting. Should I go one part lino to 2 parts lead for SWC 40 and 45 IPSC loads? Recommended temp for the electric pot? Thanks!

Calamity Jake
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
Blue coloration...

Pure or near pure lead does that when melted at atemp above 650°, don't worry about it.
The 70/30 lead/lino mix should work just fine, let the mould/mix tell you what temp it likes to cast a good boolet, it should be somewhere between 700/750°

Wayne Smith
07-24-2008, 10:27 AM
In other words, it's the lead, not the heat. Blue/purple/gold coloration is normal and natural with pure or close to it, both on top of the pot and in the ingot.

kamikaze1a
07-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Thank you for the input! That is very reassuring and I am glad to know that I did not mess up. I will be attempting my first casting soon and armed with all the great info you cast boolits members have provided, I feel confident that I will eventually have great results...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Tom W.
07-24-2008, 03:23 PM
Smurf bullets?