PDA

View Full Version : .458 enforcer progress!

buck1
07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
:drinks:Well Useing 45nuts advice I went to the local gun shop to try some 4570 dies. Of cource they didnt have any. But they did have 450 marlins.
I bought a set took some measurements and choped them dies down. Useing 45LC brass sized in a shortened 450 marlin die , then expanded the inside with the 450 marlin expander, then seated and crimped.
It looks good! It should work!!

But.........................................
Now the shortened dies screw so far down in to the press there in no room for a lock nut to lock em down.
I am thinking of a coller with a set screw that just slides over the body?? Any ideas?? Thanks Guys/Gals! :drinks:

HeavyMetal
07-24-2008, 12:46 AM
If the die goes far enough into the press put your jam nut on the underside of the die!

Bass Ackward
07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
1. Super glue, Loctite, etc.

2. Use a Lee ring and place it on the threaded portion underneath. Same as above if it's thin enough not to interfere with the shell holder. Cut it down if you have to, but try and keep the O-Ring. (PIA method that works)

3. Or you could drill and tap your press for a reasonable size set screw. Put a lead shot in there every time so you don't ruin threads or alignment. All you need is light friction to hold the die from turning and lead works well for this. If you don't need it, it isn't used. Negative is that you have to set the die up each time without a reference. (much better) I actually use different color magic markers and make index marks for different settings. Then I just make a chart to keep with the dies. Warning: Refresh magic marker as needed cause lock rinds from other dies will take it off. :grin:

4. Buy a cheap or used press just for this set-up.

crabo
07-24-2008, 11:30 AM
Somehow I missed what caliber you determined it to be......

Crabo

Heavy lead
07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Somehow I missed what caliber you determined it to be......

Crabo

Me too, sounds like a cool gun. But I'd like to know.

buck1
07-24-2008, 06:48 PM
Basicly it turned out to be a 45lc opened up to use .458 bullets. Made in 1977, I think its a one of or not far from it anyway at least with this name on it.
Thanks to everyone for all the great help !!
NOW I GET TO PLAY!!!
I already changed the grip frame to a steel Super with some old yellow Charles Able Micarta grips.

buck1
07-24-2008, 07:05 PM
The dies are ugly but work fine.

Bass Ackward
07-25-2008, 06:41 AM
Interesting solution.

Any idea what twist rate you got in that piece?

Gibbs 505
07-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey great job there, I could never understand why someone would sell a 'one off' wildcat firearm, and not inculde the dies, brass and instruction or description with it!

You did good there!:D

Down South
07-25-2008, 09:46 PM
RCBS builds a shell holder extension. I wonder if that would work to raise your dies up high enough to use the threaded lock rings.

buck1
07-26-2008, 12:56 AM
Good idea on the shell holder!"
The twist is ,I cant hardly belive it but I checked it 5 times....1 in 8".

only1asterisk
07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
I'd really like to know how long a bullet that will stabilize at modest velocity.

David