PDA

View Full Version : LEE 252gr SWC

Lonestar22
07-23-2008, 10:58 PM
I “think” this bullet would work well in 45 Auto Rim brass shot from a 25-2 revolver. I’m looking for load data and any feedback on this bullet.
This setup is for punching paper and steel only. Thanks for your time and I await replies.
Regards,
Tim

454PB
07-24-2008, 12:14 AM
I use this boolit in .45 Colt and light .454 Casull loads. It should work well in your 25-2, but I don't load for 45 auto rim.

35remington
07-25-2008, 04:25 PM
I use this bullet quite a bit in the Auto Rim, fired from a 625-3 revolver.

I would caution that some loads I've seen that use 7 grains and over of Unique are, in my opinion, excessive and may be somewhat dated, as they are normally used with bullets that do not take up as much case space. Velocity and pressure, considering the small remaining case capacity of the Auto Rim when this bullet is seated, are too high with seven plus grain charges, exceeding prudent levels IMO using a medium fast powder.

2400 is really limited in application. 13.0 grains is usable, giving just over 1000 fps in a five inch gun and certainly should be considered maximum. 2400 with lighter weight bullets gives velocity no better than several other powders and with excessive velocity variation.

Around 6.5 Unique should be considered maximum, IMO, as it develops around 950 fps for an average. 6.8 grains will equal 1000 fps. Considering that Alliant stops at 6.4 grains in .45 ACP using a lighter 230 hollowpoint that seats less deeply in the case, 6.5 grains should result in +P pressures the 625 can handle. Knock off two or three tenths for an everyday load that you really can't distinguish from the 6.5 grain load. Velocity will be just over 900 fps and will work on most things that need shooting.

Herco is an excellent alternative to Unique and is even slightly slower burning. It takes a couple tenths more powder to do the same thing.

Hard bullets shoot best for me by far. Softer bullets don't grab so well, and, if you've recovered any, you'd notice the whole bearing surface of the bullet has been reduced, rather than gripped, by the 625's rifling. Size the cylinder throat diameter and use a hard bullet and you should do fairly well.

Make sure your seating punch matches the bullet. If it does not, bullet seating is less straight than it could be and accuracy is adversely affected.

Lonestar22
07-26-2008, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the feed back. I appreciate your help.
Regards,
Tim

EDK
07-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Brian Pearce has a rather extensive article on the 45 Auto Rim in the August 2008 issue. Two rather large charts of tested loads.

:cbpour::redneck:

35remington
07-26-2008, 11:57 PM
I thought the article was as interesting for what it didn't show as what it did.