PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, prepping for the cast boolit game

cheapshot
06-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Bought my ingot mold today. A cast iron butter mold. Too perfect for words. Just have to finalize the deal on 100lbs of WW and I'm rolling. At least on the ingot front. Waiting for contest proceeds at work to fund the molds. As Sherlock Holmes said, "The game is afoot." Or nearly so.

sawinredneck
06-19-2017, 11:13 PM
Just remember, it's only money! Once you get one mold you'll ask "I wonder if that other mold is better?" Then it's all down hill!
I'm up to five presses, four powder measures, four molds (today) and always on the hunt for powders I need. At least that's what I tell myself!

lightman
06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
Welcome to "The Game"! If you are successful at scrounging lead you will need more than 1 ingot mold. They get hot after just a few cycles and you will spend a lot of time waiting on the one to cool. Also, before your stash gets out of hand, come up with a method of marking your ingots as to content. They have a way of getting mixed up! A cheap set of steel stamps make a nice permanent mark. Read the stickies on smelting pots and pay attention to the safety aspect. Have fun!

Walter Laich
06-20-2017, 11:43 AM
Glad you are among us!

keep asking questions as they come to mind. If we don't know the answer, we'll make something up

I used to put my filled ingot molds on an old damp towel. Helps it cool quicker. Of course there always is the possibility of cracking one, too though that hasn't happened to me.
:-P