PDA

View Full Version : Modernizing a vintage Pacific press

cheapshot
06-19-2017, 09:21 PM
Been doing a lot of reloading, well mostly sizing and priming lately. My hand is a bit tender from the "bicycle" grip handle on my "vintage" Pacific press. When I went to the gun store to get some 243 dies that actually worked, I saw an RCBS "Rockchucker" with a big wooden ball on the handle. Light goes off. Search Hobby Lobby and Michaels for a wooden craft ball. Turns out they call the 2" ball a "doll head." So I bought a "doll head" that looked a whole lot like a wooden ball with a 3/4" flat spot and a pilot hole on one end. Drilled a 5/8" hole about 3/4ths of the way through, added some epoxy, and in the end:

Much easier on the hand. 150 rounds later, I wanted to do more. Very comfortable.

sawinredneck
06-19-2017, 10:19 PM
Nice! I'm still liking the 8-ball the guy on evilbay sells for presses.

Pressman
06-19-2017, 11:29 PM
Looks great. I have a RCBS 2A with a glass shift knob on the handle. Color and design fits the press well.
Ken

SARuger
06-20-2017, 05:59 AM
I put a "T" handle on my "C". I also made a 90* bend in it so that the T handle is vertical when the ram is up. I use this press for pulling bullets. With the "handle down-ram down" action, it just feels more natural than a traditional press does when pulling bullets

gwpercle
06-22-2017, 05:41 PM
Nice! I'm still liking the 8-ball the guy on evilbay sells for presses.

8 ball gearshift knob , automotive store, even some wally marts. I'm sure one could be adapted.

Back in high school (1967) a kids daddy ran a pool hall, we spent lots of time there , he would give us old billiard balls to drill in shop class for gear shift knobs.... my 1955 Ford still had a 9 ball shift knob on it when I sold it in 1970 !
Gary