PDA

View Full Version : New USED Hornady L-n-L AP Press

powwowell
06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
I had a chance to pick up a used Hornady L-n-L press at a reasonable price. I've managed to load 50, 9mm rounds and then fired them. The dies were already set up. Hornady was good enough to send me the DVD and Owner's Manual.

The powder dispenser is super accurate with W231. I don't anticipate using much of anything else. Maybe some Unique for .45 Colt loads? I've since managed to have a horrendous powder dump. Grumble! The powder dispenser came with the micrometer metering unit installed. I wanted to see how fast the standard unit could be changed. Well, you guessed it. When removing the micrometer meter, I dropped the Rotor and all the powder tried to run out. I hope I don't do that again! I spent a long time cleaning up.

I don't understand how the PTX Powder Measure Stop works. A Hornady tech tried to explain it. I thought I had it, but when trying to change case flare, it was obvious that I didn't have it.

Case flaring is simple on the Lee Classic Turret. I think I'm going to miss that.

dannyd
06-19-2017, 06:42 PM
Watch the YouTube videos it's not that hard

kmw1954
06-19-2017, 08:50 PM
Just take your time, don't get in a hurry and learn the new press. Agreed that there are many videos just need to sort thru them.

Carrier
06-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Just use it for awhile without the PTX. Read the instructions and set it up with no powder and primers. After a few you will get it.