PDA

View Full Version : Win 1892 in 2520

bensonwe
06-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Thoughts on a Winchester model 1892 chambered in 2520. It needs mag tube, spring, plug and follower. It probably needs some screws and or pins as well. It was used and used lots. It doesn't lock up tight but it does lock up. Barrel looks good with decent rifling. Price seems a bit on the higher side of fair, but not out of the ballpark either. Any thoughts on difficulty in finding parts and having repairs done. Basically, any thought would be welcomed.

pworley1
06-18-2017, 09:05 PM
The biggest thing I see is what is your main interest in the rifle? If you are after a rifle to shoot, then I would continue to look for one. There are a lot of good condition original 92's out there and some are reasonably priced. If you want one to restore as a shooter, then it sounds like you have found it.

samari46
06-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Better off finding one in better condition rather than the one you mentioned. Sounds as though the one you speak of has been rode hard and put away wet. Hope this helps. Frank

bensonwe
06-19-2017, 05:34 AM
After sleeping on it I would have to agree. I'm going to continue looking for one in better condition. Thanks for the input.

enfield
06-19-2017, 08:56 PM
If you get one that needs parts I would recommend Homestead Parts for most things you may need. I have a 92 25-20 that needed more parts than I thought, but Homestead had everything and they are great to deal with.

ATCDoktor
06-21-2017, 02:02 AM
I bought this model 92 in 25 20 last fall for 500 bucks at a local gunshow:

100 yards with 75 grain JFP on top of 8.7 grains of Alliant 2400.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/IMG_1081_zpsnmrqsqkl.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/user/ATCDoctor/media/IMG_1081_zpsnmrqsqkl.jpg.html)

It has been rebarreled, the stock has been shabbily refinished and the metal doesn't have a stich of bluing but it is an excellent shooter.

missionary5155
06-21-2017, 05:15 AM
Good morning
Have rebuilt a couple Winchesters over the last 10 years. One 92 in 44 WCF was a wreck when it can into our hands. Broken springs. rusted guts, ugly cobbled wood.... Took 3 years to come up with solutions to make a decent shooting rifle.
Happily we had others to enjoy.
So start with one you can go out and shoot today. Then think about a massive project rifle that will get expensive and maybe even a bit testy before you can pop corn cans at 50 yards routinely.
Our last rebuild was a 32-20. Only took 14 months to gather all the parts. The fitting, adjusting issues took a week of a few hours here & there. First shots were fired as a single shot with nothing hanging out front of the receiver but the barrel. But today (well next time up north there) a fine accurate 32-20 awaits to go back out and pop ground hogs.
Mike in Peru